blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340682 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 04, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

If you happen to be about, the McShane-Aronian game is coming to a thrilling conclusion:

http://live4.londonchessclassic.com/2012/live4.classic.htm

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »

If you happen to be about, the McShane-Aronian game is coming to a thrilling conclusion:

been glued to it for ages , the queen sack though he was lost early but now against two queens still think he could get a result from it
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »

been glued to it for ages , the queen sack though he was lost early but now against two queens still think he could get a result from it

These are nightmarishly tough. Black should win...I think...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »

Although I would say whatever Aronian gets will be the right result. He's had long enough to work it out!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 04, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »

McShane knights the pawn!

Unbelievable, Jeff!

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

got to be lost now , think even I could win this
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 04, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »

He's playing this beautifully in fairness, is Mr Aronian.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »

Should be a matter of continuing to threaten multiple pieces with the queens. Aronian is looking to force a Zugzwang (for those who don't know, this is where your position is fine but you have to move and that means creating a lost position).

Something has to drop and the game will be over.

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »

He's playing this beautifully in fairness, is Mr Aronian.

think if Luke McShane had more time , think he could of held it , had to stop that a pawn promoting giving up his Rook & Knight . three pawns against Queen & king is hard to stop
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

...and now it is.

Fabulous game. A real advert for their style of play and I'm sure it was an absolute nightmare to commentate on!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

Yesterday saw a good game, two brilliant games and a rotter:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8686

Anand has threatened to look like he’s turning the corner and getting back to looking like the World Champion but yesterday’s game against Kramnik was a real disappointment. Kramnik quickly neutralised any advantage Anand had and the response was then to kill the game off by blocking all the pawns, so that neither player could make any progress. A little of six of one, half a dozen of the other, but I would generally put it to White to be the one trying to win.

The good game saw Adams defend well against Nakamura’s attempts to win a level game and, eventually, Nakamura accepted that he could do no more.

Carlsen would be forgiven for expecting Gawain Jones to play a solid game and to try to find an edge in the position from there. Forgiven but utterly wrong. Jones made a gargantuan sacrifice of his queen for two pieces (a bishop and a knight) so that he would get a more active position. This would have created all sorts of frenzy and hullabaloo in the auditorium, in the commentary room and across the interweb. Carlsen’s played as though he was unflappable and therefore refused to be visibly flapped. He held it together, weathered the storm and soon the material advantage was dominant.

Game of the day by a short head was McShane-Aronian, with the players living up to – at least this commentator’s – expectations. Have a look at the game from the link above after Black’s 44th move. Black has a queen but those four white pawns are connected and ready to roll. It would have been a headache and a half trying to commentate on that, especially with the intensity of two of the other games that afternoon. Eventually, Aronian queened a pawn of his own and then had two queens against a rook, knight and four pawns of McShane. Of course, McShane got his own pawn to the eighth rank, but was unable to queen it, as he would have been checkmated immediately afterwards. Short of time, this would have been difficult to spot too far in advance and, I suspect, the position was lost some time before that anyway. Nevertheless, these things take some winning, and Aronian’s masterly finish is worth a watch.

Click to see full-size image.

Rest day today. Tomorrow afternoon’s fixtures are:

Kramnik v McShane

Jones v Anand

Adams v Carlsen

Polgar v Nakamura

I wouldn’t put four draws as being an enormous surprise.

Lev Aronian will be assisting with the commentary. He’s a very likeable fellow and speaks excellent English. Be sure to tune in if you are able.  

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »

After a day of R and R, what would our fresh-faced warriors have in store for us? Why, only four high level games!

The three Englishmen could not muster as much as a draw between them, as Kramnik, Anand and Carlsen proved merciless foes.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8689

Above is a nice blow-by-blow account of how the action unfolded. The headlines:

Kramnik 1-0 McShane
Adams 0-1 Carlsen
Polgar 0-1 Nakamura
Jones 0-1 Anand

I have just played through the Kramnik game and it really is a joy to watch.

Andrew Martin's reviews are excellent:

Carlsen looked like he was under the cosh for most of the game against Adams but Adams chose quiet advantage over going for the throat and that did not work: Carlsen achieved parity and found himself with the momentum going into the endgame. When Adams made a big mistake at the time control, it was curtains and we got to see another example of the Norwegian's tenacity.

The crosstable now looks like this:

Click to see full-size image.

Carlsen will be looking to register another win tomorrow as he plays Judit Polgar as white. Kramnik has a tough game against Aronian, who has had two days off (not having played today) so should be prepared. Jones and McShane have a few points to prove and a wild game is an absolute given. Anand v Adams completes the round.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2012, 04:03:54 AM »

Missed that patter.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »

Missed that patter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Ever seen this, Red?

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: