blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340649 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »

Amuse bouche, love em. Just spent  an hour reading about cheats. Reminded me very much about the guy who cheated at poker by getting signals from his mate who was blogging.

I find it incredible that in even quite high-rated tournaments in the US you're allowed to wear headphones.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

Amuse bouche, love em. Just spent  an hour reading about cheats. Reminded me very much about the guy who cheated at poker by getting signals from his mate who was blogging.

I find it incredible that in even quite high-rated tournaments in the US you're allowed to wear headphones.
cheating goes on in all walks of life and seems to be a serious issue. I just read an article about the Seoul 100m finals. All but 2 of the finalists have failed drugs tests.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

cheating goes on in all walks of life and seems to be a serious issue. I just read an article about the Seoul 100m finals. All but 2 of the finalists have failed drugs tests.

Yep. If one of the other two is Carl Lewis, he has always strenuously denied using them, but he seems never to have been able to shake the rumours off.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2182781/London-Olympics-2012-Recalling-100m-mens-final-Seoul--dirtiest-race-history.html

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »

The Hastings Masters was won by Gawain Jones by half a point. Here is a final report and a nice endgame he played (rook and pawn endgames are the hardest to play):

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8756

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »

Yep. If one of the other two is Carl Lewis, he has always strenuously denied using them, but he seems never to have been able to shake the rumours off.

He failed a test the same year as this race!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »

Think I need to stop trying to finish end games in about 5 moves!!

Can't believe how long that took to grind out. Taught me a fair bit watching that.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »

Think I need to stop trying to finish end games in about 5 moves!!

Can't believe how long that took to grind out. Taught me a fair bit watching that.

Let me give you a rough idea of how complicated the endgames are if there is only one pawn and one set of rooks on the board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rook_and_pawn_versus_rook_endgame

If you're taking anthing out of this link above, I'd suggest the Philidor position and the Lucena position. Get those locked down and you will save half a point a lot of the time in endgames (either winning drawn games or drawing lost ones) against the sort of players you'll play online.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 07, 2013, 11:12:24 PM »

This is the Lucena position, which leads to a win:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucena_position

And this is the Philidor position, which you should be looking to get to if you want to draw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philidor_position
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:14:07 PM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »

A quick video on the Lucena position:

And a quick video on the Philidor position:

All seems simple now, right?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »

Here's Capablanca playing a simultaneous exhibition in Moscow in 1913:

And here he is playing Alekhine:

What a difference a hundred years make.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »

Lucena seems a lot simpler than Philador. Maybe it was the way he described them. Seemed to be a lot more random flicking pieces about on the Philador description.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »

Lucena seems a lot simpler than Philador. Maybe it was the way he described them. Seemed to be a lot more random flicking pieces about on the Philador description.

Yes he made it look far more complicated than he needed to. The key thing is getting the rook onto the third rank and that stops the opponent from getting his king in front of the pawn. When he moves the lawn to the third rank, you move your rook all the way to the bottom and you can keep checking the king forever or win the pawn and the game is drawn.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »

If the rooks come off, you might want to see these:

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 09, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

Whose chess set is this?

Any guesses?

OK. Here's the answer:

And here's a nice story about the man himself, who was a competent and enthusiastic chess player:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8761

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: