blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 342907 times)
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »

Anyone watching midsommer murders? Chess themed!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

Anyone watching midsommer murders? Chess themed!

Er...no.

You know when the dead people's houses are sold? Well, who is buying them? Who moves house and decides to live in a village where someone is killed every week?

Quite a serious plot hole IMO.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »

I read somewhere Carlsen is the highest ranked Chess player ever.
How does the system work ? Wouldn't have thought this was possible at his age.

Poker fan, I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your question in more detail. Was at DTD on Saturday (not on Sunday tho...).

Carlsen has been a grandmaster since he was 13 so it's not all that short a time for him to rise to world number 1. By his age, Bobby Fischer was right up there, too.

The overall standard of an elite chess player improved over time because there is more assumed knowledge; opening theory now is incredibly detailed and there are vast resources available. None of this was possible fifty years ago, say.

That he has overtaken Kasparov's record rating is an enormous achievement nevertheless.

Missed this, tks.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »

A man who is arguably Britain's most colourful chess master was the great Tony Miles. He died in 2001, aged just 46. Here is a neat piece about him and the games of a 22 board blindfold simultaneous exhibition he once gave:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7662

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. He could not have had more time for those who wanted to learn.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »

This is an obituary written by Malcolm Pein (now organiser of the London Chess Classic):

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/milesmp.html

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:57 AM »

Three instructive endgame lessons on Chessbase today:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8764

Well worth a flick through (they're games played on JavaScript, so essay to follow - and you can skip to the relevant bits)

Knight against bad bishop is always a good one to recognise.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »

The Tata Steel tournament in Wijk aan Zee kicks off tomorrow and the full round-robin pairings for the main group are here:

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/schedule/year/2013/group/1

I'm expecting a few draws first up but this should be a tournament where we see plenty of decisive games.

My pick would be Aronian and Carlsen as a 1-2, but we'll have to see how it goes. No betting market AFAIK.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 12, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

...and here's the Chessbase preview:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8769

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »

What sort of sponsorship would Tata be putting up and what's the prize money like. What would they be getting out of the sponsorship and what is the link with chess.

Tata steel own the works here in Scunthorpe and bought it from the Dutch firm that took over from British Steel.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »

Last year was a €10k first prize so nothing enormous. There's no entry fee for these players tho.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

Live chess games:

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/livegames

It is a really nice presentation with an engine underneath telling you who is winning.

Lots of draws as expected.

A couple of games look dead drawn and another is a technical win.

Karjakin is about to display some neat and precise play to beat Hou Yifan, I predict.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

... What would they be getting out of the sponsorship and what is the link with chess. ...

I don't know anything about this specifically but when I worked at the British Chess Federation it was pretty clear that almost all sponsorship was as a result of the CEO or similar being a chess fan, there was rarely a commercial imperative.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

Thanks, Jon. Sorry, Smashedagain. I misread your question, but Jon is better-placed to answer anyway Smiley

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »

... What would they be getting out of the sponsorship and what is the link with chess. ...

I don't know anything about this specifically but when I worked at the British Chess Federation it was pretty clear that almost all sponsorship was as a result of the CEO or similar being a chess fan, there was rarely a commercial imperative.
i did not know if it was linked to the Dutch connection I meantioned or even a connection with India.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »

i did not know if it was linked to the Dutch connection I meantioned or even a connection with India.

Chess in India is huge.

This tournament was until recently sponsored by Corus, which Tata has bought. Those aside, not sure of any connection between the company and chess.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: