blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340817 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8772

All games drawn in Wijk aan Zee and the big one was Carlsen getting out of jail against Aronian.

The link above has the games, with little videos of the players' interviews after their games.

Edit: it now includes Danny King's Play of the Day feature, which today is the Aronian-Carlsen game.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:48:07 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »

Express report today on the chess in Holland:

Carlsen beats van Wely
Anand beats Caruana
Karjakin beats Wang Hao
Everybody else draws.

Click to see full-size image.

Link below at time of posting has a few details and videos but it will update over the next few hours to something more substantive:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8775

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »

One of the best-reviewed tournaments in the calendar is the Gibraltar Festival. Here is a much better preview than I could do:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8774

The tournament features some very big names like Ivanchuk, Shirov, Adams and Short, but is often praised for its relaxed and welcoming spirit, with what we would recognise as side events running in parallel with the main comp on one of the most historic islands in Her Majesty's Empire.

STOP PRESS!!!

Chess players in sense of humour shocker!

See the bottom of the linked page for two funnies, including a British Grandmaster who has the same name as me (but isn't me). Simon (aka "The Ginger GM") will be commentating on the event alongside US player Irina Krush.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »

The link above to the report on the latest round of the Wijk aan Zee tournament now has the games, the interviews, some photos, Danny King's game of the day and an annotated version of the Carlsen-van Wely game.

Carlsen ran him over, really, although it won't look like it. Carlsen played a response to van Wely's King's Indian Defence called the Averbakh system (you might remember a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Yuri Averbakh is the oldest living Grandmaster). Notice how Carlsen creates a weakness on f5 and this is how he wins the game.

The final position might surprise you because Black is level on material and it all looks blocked. However, Carlsen is about to play g4 and you'll see that, although Black is attacking that square twice with his own pawns, his pawn on f5 is pinned - unable to move - by the white bishop. This means White wins a pawn and, as the position will open up and Black has no compensation against a bishop pair, he didn't see any chance of saving the game against the best endgame player in the world.

It's a horrible position for Black but that only becomes apparent the more you play with it. Have a go if you get time. Try to make some progress against a computer. Then reverse the colours and try to beat the computer if you're feeling brave Smiley

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Published on 6 Jan 2013

In this video, chess FIDE Master Valeri Lilov is trying to find the truth behind one of the most recent scandals in the world of chess. He investigates all the important facts and evidence about the suspicious 2700 rating performance achieved by a 2200 rated player in a Grandmaster tournament last year.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »

Anand is back!!!

The World Champion delivered one of his very beat games today to beat Lev Aronian with Black.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8776

The finish was reminiscent (Anand said so himself) of one of Rubenstein's most famous wins, against Rotlewi (one of those players - I say this slightly harshly but with an element of fairness - famous for being beaten in a famous game). The games are in the java viewer in the link above.

The openings are different (Anand's is a Semi-Slav (the black pawns on the light squares against 1.d4) whereas Rubenstein played a Tarrasch (pawns on d4, d5, c4 and c5)) but see what happens to Black's bishops, his king's knight and the queen.

An off day for Lev but a game for the textbooks for Vishy.

Anand now shares the lead with Karjakin (who drew today) and Carlsen (who won).

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »

Have any 2 recorded professional games ever ran out exactly the same?

Another question occurs to me after this first one:

Are all professional games recorded?

I don't mean on video obviously, just the moves.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »

Thank you for that curnow. I ummed and ahhed about posting this but as it's 70mins long I left it.

But it is fascinating stuff. Really is.

He makes a compelling case, although there is no material evidence of cheating.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »

Another question occurs to me after this first one.

AFAIK no two complete games (played to checkmate/stalemate) have been recorded as identical. The maths makes it hard for that to happen in any event, although there have been plenty of identical novelty games played (4 move checkmate, for example)

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 15, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

AFAIK no two complete games (played to checkmate/stalemate) have been recorded as identical. The maths makes it hard for that to happen in any event, although there have been plenty of identical novelty games played (4 move checkmate, for example)

Could that (or indeed has that) ever happen to anybody who's not a complete mushroom?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »

Could that (or indeed has that) ever happen to anybody who's not a complete mushroom?

Honestly?

No.

Someone who isn't a complete mushroom would spot the threat on f7 and stop the checkmate.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »

Anand in his exit interview.

He refers to Aronian as his Angstgegner. Never heard this expression myself before, but my basic German suggests it's along the lines of worst opponent (most feared opponent).

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

Tal, Honeybadger will be bringing his chess set to DTD next time he's there.  We're going to have a game whilst we're playing poker, or have a game on the clock in between poker.  You need to get your chess-arse down there as well and me and Stu can play together to lose against you.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 15, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

If it is an updated event, ie I am there, I would love to play too

If you could get to DTD earlier, midday say, will open the doors for you and we can play timed before the masses come in and make the place busy?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

If it is an updated event, ie I am there, I would love to play too

If you could get to DTD earlier, midday say, will open the doors for you and we can play timed before the masses come in and make the place busy?

Or...we could test out the commentary booth while Honeybadger and Kinboshi are playing?

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: