blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:13:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340818 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »

After 44.b4, Black is almost in what is called Zugzwang, where he is left without a move that doesn't lose.

Similar to Numberwang?

Ha! More like unwang I suppose!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 22, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

Carlsen beat the 2600 rated Hou Yifan with Black today (remember Carlsen is almost 250 points higher, so his win wasn't a huge surprise). Here's a video of some of today's action. You get a few minutes of the players walking into the room (no, not like the darts...), a bit of some of the games from the rail and an interview or three:

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »

After 44.b4, Black is almost in what is called Zugzwang, where he is left without a move that doesn't lose.

Similar to Numberwang?

That's Numberwang!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

Similar to Numberwang?

That's Numberwang!

Why yes it is.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »

Smiley

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 22, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »

I like the one that starts:

"We have Julie, who is from Northampton...and Simon, who is also from Southampton"

Such a neatly executed sketch.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »

Carlsen won again today. A few days ago, I put a link to English IM Andrew Martin's video in which he explains his theory of how the Norwegian keeps winning games. One of the points he made was that sometimes players give him too much respect and don't threaten him enough over the board, going out with a whimper, rather than a bang.

Erwin L'Ami is no slouch but he played too passively and got rolled over with barely a cross word.

Have a look at the crosstable after ten rounds:

Click to see full-size image.

To score 8/10 against this standard of opposition is an outstanding accomplishment, even when the man himself is as highly rated as he is. Games, videos and analysis are here:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8796

Hou Yifan played nicely and beat the significantly higher rated Harikrishna. Here she is:

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

Reason to watch Twilight:

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »

Must be a photoshop job. She's smiling.

Vampire chess. Who'da thunk it?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »

I was going to ask whether there is a requirement to wear suits, cos so many of them do and, if so, why it would be necessary, so I'm surprised to see Anand in what looked something like a rugby shirt.

I see on Chessbase that there is a dress code: "dress trousers or jeans, a long-sleeve or shirt-sleeve dress shirt, alternatively T-shirt or polo, loafers or dressy slip-ons, socks, shoes or sneakers (no beach-wear slips, etc.) and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer".

Don't worry, I've answered my own question. Still think Anand was borderline at best.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »

I was going to ask whether there is a requirement to wear suits, cos so many of them do and, if so, why it would be necessary, so I'm surprised to see Anand in what looked something like a rugby shirt.

I see on Chessbase that there is a dress code: "dress trousers or jeans, a long-sleeve or shirt-sleeve dress shirt, alternatively T-shirt or polo, loafers or dressy slip-ons, socks, shoes or sneakers (no beach-wear slips, etc.) and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer".

Don't worry, I've answered my own question. Still think Anand was borderline at best.

This is all just for the elite tournaments. If you wanted to play a local weekend comp, there is essentially no dress code. I once played a game against someone who was wearing a novelty hat. It was a while back. I think...it was a jester hat.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 25, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »

Yesterday was a rest day in Wijk, but the tournament that has been happening in Gibraltar offers some newsworthy results after just three rounds. Giant-killings are afoot!

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8798

Some annotated games for you to play through, so you can see where these top players went wrong.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:22:30 AM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 26, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »

An interesting if not spectacular round at Wijk aan Zee saw Carlsen have a bit of a bore draw with Wang Hao. Aronian closed the gap by beating Nakamura in a neat game. Karjakin won after Sokolov got into time trouble (having to make a lot of moves in little time to make the time control) and made some mistakes. Here are all the annotated games, pictures and videos:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8802

Here's the crosstable after 11 rounds:

Carlsen needs 1½ points to be sure of victory, although one likely does it. Aronian will have to beat the solid Giri and the woefully out of form Caruana to challenge for the title.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 26, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »

who won at DTD?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 26, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »

Kinboshi appears to have played Qd2 and blocked his bishop in. As the two knights are still on the board (b1 and f3), he can't have exchanged and recaptured with his queen, so he must have moved it there for a tactical reason. This is interesting...

Aha! The black queen is the piece hidden by honeybadger's hand - it has followed the diagonal d8-a5 - and I imagine it delivered check on a5, against which kinboshi opposed queens and honeybadger responded by taking a pawn on c5.

Working out what has happened is half the fun.

Truly fabulous picture, though. I'm sure Chess Thread will have fun looking at the game and we can do some non-judgmental analysis for everyone's benefit.

With the International having closed, perhaps there is a gap in the market this side of London for a poker place that has chess on offer?

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: