blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272575 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 343620 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »

4-0 to boshi. Three of them time losses :-(

Variance
i noticed Boshi was wearing an ear piece and kept texting your moves. Smiley

Invoice in the post.

I was in losing positions in at least two of the games, so if I had been getting help, it wasn't very good...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 27, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

Variance

Invoice in the post.

I was in losing positions in at least two of the games, so if I had been getting help, it wasn't very good...
A bad day for chess playing footy supporters Sad

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »

Variance

Invoice in the post.

A bad day for chess playing footy supporters Sad

Behave the pair of you Cheesy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 28, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »

Wijk aan Zee came to a fascinating conclusion yesterday and there was still time for a shock.

China's Wang Hao turned World Champion Vishy Anand over in a Scotch Opening. Anand lost out in the race for second place because of it. If you play through the game, whilst Black gets an active knight, the White bishop covers more ground and, as the position opens up, this becomes critical. Anand tried a cheapo at the end (this is a chess colloquialism for a last ditch swindle attempt) but it wasn't to be.

Carlsen had already locked up the tournament and was playing against Giri, who had been solid if largely dormant all comp. Draw then? Yes and no. Carlsen got into a bit of a mess out of the opening against the Sämisch variation of the King's Indian (this is defined by white playing f3) and the position after 12 moves looks utterly horrible for Black. Giri pressed and won a pawn but Carlsen found a very cheeky way to get a perpetual check, which Giri can only have missed, and the draw was saved.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8806

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

Carlsen rode his luck, but his dominance of the game is hardly in dispute.

Anand will see this tournament as a pivotal moment, where his aggression and willingness to use it came back, albeit with mixed results. He will likely have to defend his title either later this year or early next and he will need to show that fight then, as he will surely be playing someone more skilled and aggressive than Gelfand.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

Hi Tal,

Will Carlsen's rating keep going up? How far can it go iyo?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »

Hi Tal,

Will Carlsen's rating keep going up? How far can it go iyo?

Good question. No one knows how good Carlsen can be. All we do know is he's getting better and, as long as there are people around him improving, too, the pace of his increase needn't slow down all that much.

Obviously there is talk of 3000 and there was such talk in Kasparov's dayday, but he could conceivably win the Candidates' tournament with a big score and be pushing 2900 by the summer. That would be ridiculous.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

Here is a story about a man I've never heard of but who has led a fascinating life, much celebrated in his native Hungary and has been seemingly crucial to the success of Hungarian chess for a generation:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8812

Gabor Kallai

Worth a read and requires no specific chess knowledge to understand Smiley

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

Unless it's in Hungarian?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »

Unless it's in Hungarian?

Only one way to find out

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »

I used to have a couple of books on basic openings by that Kallai guy. Seem to remember them as being really good if not very detailed.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »

Excellent. You've made me think that I should have a rummage myself and check whether I have one stowed away.

The second world war had a significant impact, understandably, on chess, but chess reciprocated:

http://www.chess.com/article/view/world-war-ii-and-chess

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7037

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 31, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »

A couple of nicely compiled articles on recent chess cheating scandals (in before someone says 'kinboshi'):

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8818

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8817

The big chess news is that Peter Heine Nielsen, who has been a second of Anand for ten years, has decided to work with Magnus Carlsen for the upcoming Candidates' Tournament.

Now I should explain that Anand isn't playing in the Candidates, because the idea of the tournament is that the winner has the right to challenge Anand for the world title. However, you wouldn't find Andre Villas-Boas working with Man City just because spurs got knocked out of the cup.

There is too much knowledge of training practices, experimented lines, tried and tested novelties and ideas for this not to be a big deal.

It seems hard to figure Nielsen will revert to working with Anand after the Candidates - why would Carlsen work with him here otherwise?

They have been friends for a fair while, so in that sense it isn't a huge shock. However, it is the timing and the obvious implications that are causing headlines.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: