blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 341009 times)
h

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

came across  this site do people really pay that much for a chess set ?

http://www.purlinglondon.com/art-chess.php
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »

This was made as a proof of concept - just the king though
"The king piece alone weighs 165.2 grams of 18 carat yellow gold and has a spiraling mid-section graced by 73 rubies and 146 diamonds."

The whole set is available to commission and would cost about £1m

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »

This one is the whole set and cost $500,000

"Thirty craftsmen, under the direction of Maquin spent over 4500 hours creating the expensive chess set. The work was done all by hand and when it was completed, the artists used 1168.75 grams of 14 carat white gold, and approximately 9900 black and white diamonds, bringing the total weight to 186.09 carats and the total cost to $500,000."

Click to see full-size image.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 01, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »

I felt posh when I bought a Jaques set!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:24:40 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 02, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »

what Jaques set you got , got a old one myself but has a lot of damage , 4" king but still nice to have
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 02, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »

what Jaques set you got , got a old one myself but has a lot of damage , 4" king but still nice to have

Sounds like not dissimilar then. I use a nice one from Chess and Bridge for any main analysis. The trouble with anything is, if it's too expensive, you're frightened to play with it.

As if to disprove my point, my old chess coach used to use a wonderful Jaques set. He played with it for 7 hours a day, six days a week for 20 years and, apart from a bit of re-felting on the bottom of the pieces, you'd never have known.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 03, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »

Tal what are the next upcoming events for the top GM's? What do we have to look forward to?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 04, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

Tal what are the next upcoming events for the top GM's? What do we have to look forward to?

The next big one is 15 March and that is the candidates. It's in London, too

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »

Great tyty - do we know the line up yet? Is it always a similar format of the 8 players? Sorry, tough to google right now, plus it's better when you give us all a shedload of cool background stuff.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »

Great tyty - do we know the line up yet? Is it always a similar format of the 8 players? Sorry, tough to google right now, plus it's better when you give us all a shedload of cool background stuff.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013#Candidates.27_tournament

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

On Sunday, I had the privilege of playing a couple of games against Mr Honeybadger at DTD, shortly before he went all Jesse May and purveyed his poker wisdom to the internet.

As far as I am aware (and given that TightEnd was busy overseeing the last couple of tables of the 300 Deepstack), there is no photographic evidence, so you'll have to take my word for it.

One of the games we played saw an opening I've mentioned on here before: the Averbakh Variation of the King's Indian Defence. That isn't particularly important, but we reached a position where I had a strong attack but ran out of time. One of the features of the particular line I had played (essentially one of my own creation, although I think it is probably unsound; it's just very difficult to defend against), is that White has to make the attack work, or else leave himself with a rubbish pawn structure.

We had a brief chat about it afterwards and it seems to be worth exploring further. It's lunchtime, so why not?!

Pawn structures are one of the most important elements of positional play (you will recall that there are two considerations in chess: tactics and positional play) and, as pieces come off, the weaknesses in our pawn structures often become more apparent and exposed. So, spotting them early helps us to know whether we should be looking to exchange off the pieces and win the endgame or keeping the pieces on the board and keeping our chances alive.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 05, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

Here is a nice website, explaining the basics of the different types of pawn structures:

http://www.mark-weeks.com/aboutcom/aa03j11.htm

And here are 5 simple videos on some of these types:

http://www.chess-game-strategies.com/pawn-structure_weak_page-1_backward-pawns.html

Pawn islands are ones to watch out for and I explained these the other night by setting up a simple game. Take a board and put all 8 white pawns in their starting position. Now put a black queen where her majesty normally sits (d8).

White to move. White needs to get a pawn to the 8th rank to win. Black needs to munch all the pawns to win.

One of the things you'll notice yourself doing is splitting the pawns up so that they can't protect each other. This is a fundamental of positional play; you are isolating the pawns, creating as many pawn islands as you can, to expose them to attack.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 05, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »

> 10,000 views.

Top thread-viewing (you sad lot Smiley )

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 05, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »

White to move. White needs to get a pawn to the 8th rank to win. Black needs to munch all the pawns to win.

Who should win assuming equal skill level?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

Who should win assuming equal skill level?

Queen should mop the pawns up, but she can't hang about.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: