blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340731 times)
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »

Tal forgive my ignorance but how long do you play for and why have a clock?
Is there a standard time that is played.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »

Tal forgive my ignorance but how long do you play for and why do you have a clock?
Is there a standard time that is played.

Good questions.

You use a clock in order to keep the overall length of the game under control (by way of example, in a tournament, you will generally play multiple games in one day, so they have to ensure round one is completed in good time for round two to start) and also to distribute the amount of time the game takes between the two players (generally evenly).

There are three basic sorts of time limits:

1. Standard play (sometimes called "long play") is the most common and that at amateur levels tends to be 3-4 hour games. There generally will be a set amount of moves you have to make within a time limit (say the first 30 moves each within 75minutes), with an extra time bonus (say 15 minutes) for getting that far added on afterwards and the game to be completed in the time you have left;
2. Rapid play is anything under an hour each for all moves and is typically set at 30mins each for all moves. There is a separate rating system in Britain for this, as it not everyone is suited to a quicker format;
3. Blitz chess is 10 mins or less each for all moves. This is the fiery stuff and some people are comparatively much better at this stuff.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:27 PM »

At the other end of the scale is correspondence chess that I used to play (pre-WWW).  Games could take as long as 6-months to complete. 

You'd write your move on a special piece of chess notation paper, put it in an envelope and send it back.  They'd see your move, make their move and repeat the process.  If there was an obvious move (you take their queen and it's obvious they're going to take your queen back on the next move), then you'd say "if KxQ, then..." and give them your subsequent move, to speed things up and save on stamps Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »

There is still a society for correspondence chess.

Bit niche nowadays.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Surely it's all done online now though?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Not all, no. Most, I imagine, though.

Never been something that's interested me, but I'm internet generation, I suppose.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Never been something that's interested me, but I'm internet generation, I suppose.

Thin.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:01 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Thin.

World wide web generation, more accurately Cheesy

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Thin.

Cheesy

Don't start that off again, tikay is confused enough already.

Back to the game against Stu, did you say you were winning but ran out of time on the clock?  That's how I beat him twice.  Blitz suits my game (i.e. flawed) I think.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »

Bit niche nowadays.

Thin.

Cheesy

Don't start that off again, tikay is confused enough already.

Back to the game against Stu, did you say you were winning but ran out of time on the clock?  That's how I beat him twice.  Blitz suits my game (i.e. flawed) I think.
again ignorance but did you win because he took too much time and flag dropped or when the flag dropped you had more pieces left with higher value

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »

I lost one of the games against Stu because I ran out of time, although I had a better position and was winning over the board. It's just one of those things.

Smashedagain, the rule is that, if you run out of time, you lose. The only proviso is that the opponent must have enough material left theoretically to be able to checkmate you. So, if he has just a king and a knight, that would only be a draw, but even a pawn would be enough to claim the win (as it is possible to queen it).

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »

So is Carlsen nailed on?

Without him, it would seem impossible to pick a winner between Aronian, Kramnik & Radjabov. How likely do you think it is that one of them could take it?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »

So is Carlsen nailed on?

Without him, it would seem impossible to pick a winner between Aronian, Kramnik & Radjabov. How likely do you think it is that one of them could take it?

I suspect Carlsen will be 4/6 at best (and still probably a bet). I'd put Kramnik as next best, not just on rating, but on form and that he favours tournaments against very strong opposition, where Aronian excels at putting away the weaker players.

Chess is a game of small margins at that level but the world (unless you are from the old USSR) wants Carlsen to win this comp.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »

A simple feature on the estimated chess earnings from tournaments of the top players, with a comparison against other games and a few sports:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8822

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »

More than biathletes then...

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: