blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340737 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

There was a surprise in Zurich, as Caruana defeated Anand with the black pieces:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8882

Kramnik couldn't convert his small edge against Gelfand - another surprise, considering how good an endgame player he is from the technical side - and had to agree another draw.

These tournaments are always difficult to call at the start but it was likely that there would be a lot of draws, with Kramnik and Gelfand likely staying away from lines they are working on in preparation for the Candidates.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »

So looks the table in Zurich after two more draws. Two good games, however and worth a perusal if you have time:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8885

The link also has a video of Kramnik and Caruana analysing the game immediately after their draw. This was certainly the game of the day for me.

Kramnik had an edge in an unusual opening, which was almost a mirror image of an opening called the Benoni. The colours were reversed, though, and this meant that White (Kramnik) had the advantage of a tempo because he has the first move. He built a good looking attack but Caruana found a nice resource with a well-judged sacrifice of rook for knight.

Suddenly, Caruana had the better position and he was the aggressor, as Kramnik couldn't get his rooks working together quickly enough.

When it seemed that Caruana might have the edge, Kramnik made a spectacular move. Have a look at the position after Black plays 44...Qe3. How does White draw?

Caruana admitted he missed it, although it was unavoidable at by the time he went to play Qe3. Kramnik must have seen it a move or two earlier.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: March 01, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

Saw a car today and it had a plate on it that would be perfect for you:

C5 TAL

but it would mean you'd need to play the Sicilian all the time.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

C5 TAL

Yeah, I don't want to make it easy to define my range

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 01, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »

But next month, chess returns to British television, if not to the mainstream. Sky Arts will be showing the eight-grandmaster candidates tournament to be played in London from March 14- April 1. Three Russians, a Ukrainian, an Azerbaijani, an Armenian, an Israeli and a Norwegian, will battle it out for the right to play Anand for the crown.

The TV company is promising innovations, including an eye-cam which studies the movement of the iris. This sounds intriguing, even if chess remains one of those games that is better to play than to watch. Sorry, one of those sports. If millions of Indians rate Anand over Dhoni, that is good enough for me.

should be interesting
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: March 01, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »

C5 TAL

Was an Audi A5 as well, so it would mean forgetting how to indicate and having to drive an inch away from the car in front.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 01, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

C5 TAL

Was an Audi A5 as well, so it would mean forgetting how to indicate and having to drive an inch away from the car in front.

An A5 with a C5 number plate would have to be in black

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: March 01, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »

You at deeteedee this weekend?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »

You at deeteedee this weekend?

I'm not, sir. I'm house and dog-sitting this weekend.

Currently enjoying the Softball episode of the Simpsons.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 01, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »

But next month, chess returns to British television, if not to the mainstream. Sky Arts will be showing the eight-grandmaster candidates tournament to be played in London from March 14- April 1. Three Russians, a Ukrainian, an Azerbaijani, an Armenian, an Israeli and a Norwegian, will battle it out for the right to play Anand for the crown.

The TV company is promising innovations, including an eye-cam which studies the movement of the iris. This sounds intriguing, even if chess remains one of those games that is better to play than to watch. Sorry, one of those sports. If millions of Indians rate Anand over Dhoni, that is good enough for me.

should be interesting

This is taken from the Telegraph the other day:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9896240/Indias-grandmaster-Viswanathan-Anand-gives-chess-a-new-opening-in-Britain.html

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »

I only dropped in to mention that The Telegraph has a piece about chess in the Sports Section today.
Viswanathan Anand was india's Sportsperson of 2012.
Just in case you chess types had missed the news really.

Tried today's two puzzles and solved both pretty quickly, but that's kind of easy when you know that the crucial moves are available to find.
Would I spot them in game? Probably not, it's years since I exercised my chess muscles and I can't beat the app I downloaded unless I slide the ability level a long way to the left.

should be interesting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9896240/Indias-grandmaster-Viswanathan-Anand-gives-chess-a-new-opening-in-Britain.html

Are all 5pur2 fans this quick?

Smiley

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 01, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »

I only dropped in to mention that The Telegraph has a piece about chess in the Sports Section today.
Viswanathan Anand was india's Sportsperson of 2012.
Just in case you chess types had missed the news really.

Tried today's two puzzles and solved both pretty quickly, but that's kind of easy when you know that the crucial moves are available to find.
Would I spot them in game? Probably not, it's years since I exercised my chess muscles and I can't beat the app I downloaded unless I slide the ability level a long way to the left.

should be interesting

Are all 5pur2 fans this quick?

Smiley

Knew I'd seen it somewhere before. Couldn't find the link Smiley

Thank you!!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »

And I'm very slow for a spurs fan.

Apart from the one I saw on Pointless today giving his answer to the question "name a country with a population of over 50m people" as New Zealand...

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »

I spend a lot of time ITT raving about just how incredibly good the players at the top are.

Then the second favourite in the upcoming Candidates Tournament and former World Champion, Vladmir Kramnik goes and does this:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8888

Plays beautifully to force an edge against Anand and then blunders horribly to lose material and then the game.

Caruana beat the apparently tired (if he's tired after this comp, how can anyone fancy him in two weeks' time to win the Candidates'?!) Gelfand and he wins the tournament by a clear point.

Kramnik will be fuming, I'm sure. How will he react in London?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »

The link above also mentions the 1953 Zurich tournament, which was a double-round 15 player affair (oh how the schedules have changed)

Click to see full-size image.

Some names we've met before and a few I really ought to bring back my biographies on.

Lazslo Szabo looks like a bit of a mouthful. Except the first name is Lesley and the surname means Taylor.

Les Taylor came 12th.

Much better.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: