blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 344080 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 19, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

The crosstable so far looks like this:

Games and videos are here:

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009221/candidates-r4--carlsen-joins-aronian-in-the-lead-190313.aspx

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 20, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »

Thinking Caps On

Grischuk

Kramnik

Radjabov

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

Round 5 was all draws, although Calrsen survived a mild scare against a battling Ivanchuk. Carlsen said afterwards:

“It was a very difficult game. I tried to be creative in the opening. He responded well and I was worse, so I decided to sacrifice a pawn in order to get into an endgame which I thought I could hold,”

Fair to say it was a day of missed chances, as Kramnik should probably have converted his edge against Aronian.

Pictures, videos and in-depth analysis are here:

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009237/candidates--postmortem-of-round-five-210313.aspx

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 21, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »

Live games from Round 6 started about half an hour ago. Here is the live action:

http://london2013.fide.com/analysis/index.html

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 22, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »

Today is a rest day, so let's just confirm what happened yesterday.

Carlsen and Aronian both managed to win from seemingly level positions through a combination of technique and pressure.

Carlsen's win against Svidler came from a standard opening called the Ruy Lopez. Carlsen is an outstanding player of the Black side of this opening and chose not to play the à la mode Berlin Defence, selecting instead his more familiar Classical lines. These positions are really all about technique and Carlsen showed us all again that he has this in spades. It was a skilfully executed win, as Svidler eventually wilted and a surgical finish was not far behind.

Aronian beat Radjabov in not dissimilar terms, except that Aronian was the aggressor for most of it and, eventually, the dual pressures of Armenian precision and the clock told on Radjabov and he blundered rather horribly.

Gelfand failed to capitalise on a pawn loss by Grischuk by not playing assertively enough and this allowed Grischuk to equalise.

Ivanchuk had to defend for his life against Kramnik, after the Russian made a sacrifice to open up the Ukrainian's King. He held on well, though, and deserved the draw. He is a funny one, Mr Ivanchuk. One day, he doesn't seem at the races; the next he shows all the guts and guile we like to see from the best in the business.

Here are all the details, pics and videos:

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009243/candidates-r6--carlsen-aronian-win-lead-220313.aspx

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 22, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »

Kramnik and Ivanchuk

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »

There's a more in-depth discussion of the round six games here:

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009249/candidates--postmortem-of-round-six-220313.aspx

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »

Played what I think was my best game to date the other day and forgot to save the bugger!!

I sacrificed 2 knights and 3 pawns but it really opened up shredders king and he just couldn't escape.

Thoroughly enjoyed chasing it round the board with all the space for my queen and rooks out in the open.

I knew that one mistake and it was curtains but managed to keep plugging away and got the win.

So much fun Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 23, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

Played what I think was my best game to date the other day and forgot to save the bugger!!

I sacrificed 2 knights and 3 pawns but it really opened up shredders king and he just couldn't escape.

Thoroughly enjoyed chasing it round the board with all the space for my queen and rooks out in the open.

I knew that one mistake and it was curtains but managed to keep plugging away and got the win.

So much fun Smiley

Awesome. Great to hear you're enoying crushing the engine Smiley

I'll be heading down to the Candidates today. If you go into the main room, they give you a Samsung tablet that has all the games and commentary on, so you can follow what the players are up to.

It is pretty niche, so I'd recommend saving your money unless you have a burning desire to go, as the online stuff is excellent.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

Four draws today, but I can't tell you how that happened.

I had the pleasure of making the short trip over to watch events unfold. Thirty of my hard earned pound notes whistled past the cashier's nose and were gone before I could say "any chance of a blogger's discount?".

Carlsen started quietly against Radjabov, with the Azeri hell-bent on going for the throat, to mix a metaphor or two. He reached a position where he had to make this attack work or Carlsen's superior structure would lead him to victory when the pieces came off.

But he found an excellent resource, did Radjabov, and when I left just before 6pm, I was certain Carlsen was going to lose his first big game for a long time.

But no.

It seems Radjabov wasn't happy with the position or at least not as happy as the observers were. He took a draw by repetition and the Norwegian's bacon was saved. (I know it's Danish bacon, but you think of a better one)

Aronian sacrificed a pawn for the aggression against Gruschuk and, again, it seemed he had an edge that would likely be decisive. However, it was Grischuk who was the more resilient and he held out to share the point.

Svidler and Ivanchuk played a ferocious rather dull game and the draw came as no surprise to anyone.

Gelfand should have secured his first win and will be absolutely kicking himself tonight. Kramnik played a very odd move in Ne8 which was begging to be punished by Nfg5. I was in the commentary room at the time (just watching...) and the whole room was just waiting for Gelfand to play what seemed to be the obvious move.

And waited...

...and waited...

But he played Nd2 instead!!!

This is what happens when you're struggling for form, of course. We have all been there in our own way. You just can't get the obvious stuff to work in your head and you end up missing out.

So it was proved, as Kramnik recovered quickly and salvaged a draw.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009253/candidates-r7--mercy-was-the-constant-230313.aspx

Report is via the link above.

Here is the crosstable at the halfway stage:

Carlsen v Aronian tomorrow.

Can't wait.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:47:17 AM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 24, 2013, 03:50:37 AM »

Carlsen was lucky to draw against Radjabov.

Kramnik will also be sleeping well tonight after Gelfand missed a golden opportunity to win.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 24, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

We're always hearing about the Karpov variation of this or the Kasparov variation of that.

Do we have Carlsen variations or Aronian variations or is that something for the future?

At some point will they become exhausted? Obviously there's an infinite amount of moves but at some point in the future for a person to put his own stamp on a variation the game would have to be pretty much over.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
h

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21876120
 Chess and 18th Century artificial intelligence

thought this an interesting read
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

Thanks for this, h. The Turk was something completely different in its day. Even beat Napoleon!

Imagine seeing it do its thing 200 years ago!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:26:01 PM by Tal » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: