blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272478 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340887 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »

Draw agreed.

Disappointing but played itself.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:12 PM »

When are the rapid games being payed?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: November 29, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »

When are the rapid games being payed?

Wednesday.

Per chessbase:

Tie-breaks will start by four rapid games (25 min + 10 sec/move). If the score is level after that, five mini-matches consisting of two blitz games (5 min + 3 sec/move) per match will follow. If after these five blitz matches, we still do not have a winner, one sudden-death game will be hold. There, white is in a must-win-situation, but has five minutes while black only has four minutes, both players receive an increment of 3 seconds starting from move 61.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: November 30, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »

Here is everything you need to know (and some you don't):

http://en.chessbase.com/post/newsblog-wcc-carlsen-karjakin-2016-11-30-en

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecaDYWXoZc

live stream on now for tiebreaks
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: November 30, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »

Good evening gents.

I used to play a lot of chess in my youth and still take an interest in playing the odd game with friends and reviewing some of the games posted in this thread. I feel I am a decent, occasional player who understands the fundamentals but is probably about 10 years behind modern themes and openings. I work as a teacher at a private secondary school and did a multi-board challenge last year that was a lot of fun and it re-ignited my interest in chess.

The reason for my post is my 7 year old son is interested in learning the game and beyond teaching him how the pieces move I have no idea about how to go about it. Would you be able to recommend any good websites/books that could give me some ideas. I am absolutely delighted he is taking an interest and would very much like to encourage this and make it as much fun as possible. Seems like a fantastic little project for us to share.

Also, selfishly I would like a recommendation for a good chess puzzle site. I enjoy a good puzzle with my morning brew at break-time at school but have struggled to find a site I like.

Many thanks in advance.

A little update on this. We purchased a board/pieces and were having a nightly game before bed. He's picked up the moves of the pieces and is starting to realise the relative value of the pieces and some basic concepts (fight for the centre, try and get pieces into play early etc). An unexpected side story appears to be developing as my younger son ( aged 5) who has shown little interest in anything like this has all of a sudden got the bug. I noticed him playing a game on an app on my wife's tablet and he seems to have a real aptitude for the game. He told my older son, 'You need to beat him up or the horsey thing can get your pointy and queen at once (translation for those that don't speak 5 yr old; 'take the knight or he will move to C 6 and fork your queen and king). They are both dragging me into the kitchen with a board set up (incorrectly) the minute I get in from work and I don't mind in the slightest. It started as a little project for Zachary and myself and its turned into a real father/sons (plural) bonding activity!

Chess is a beautiful game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:10:48 PM by HutchGF » Logged
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: December 01, 2016, 01:23:18 AM »

Find a win and you retain the world title. Mess it up and it's a lottery in the blitz games.

Oh and you have a minute to work it all out.

Pressure?

Magnus Carlsen plays 50.Qh6+, which is the chess equivalent of this:

Checkmate in 1 against any defence, sir (Take the Queen with the King and I mate you with 51.Rh8; Take it with the pawn and I mate you with the other rook with 51.Rxf7)

In poker parlance, what an absolute flipping boss. Even Svidler on commentary was agog.

It's not been a good World Championship match in terms of quality. It certainly hasn't lived up to the expectations. Karjakin got in Carlsen's head I think but couldn't find his own A game. Carlsen's coolness under pressure just got him home.

He should have lost - Karjakin was 1.4 or so on betfair when he went one up - but he didn't.

Karjakin I hope will be encouraged by his performance. I suspect it'll take some time for him to feel that way, mind.

Happy 26th birthday, Magnus

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:28 AM »

Nov 23
Jesse May ‏@ScurrilousMay
I want Svidler at every one of my dinner parties.  https://twitter.com/chess24com/status/801544222876848131

Peter Svidler –  ‏@polborta

@ScurrilousMay Loved Shut Up and Deal, and now I even have an excuse to tell you that. Life is full of unexpected pleasures.
6:34 pm - 23 Nov 2016

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: December 08, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »

white to move , try not to stalemate black

solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQsg7kXmYU&feature=youtu.be
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Lev, what about 12.c4, 13.c5?

Well Sergey won't believe I'd blunder like that so he'll respond with 12.d4 or summit.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2395 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »

I have a chessy question for ya Tal

How did chess change when Deep Blue beat Kasparov? How did the best players adjust, did it put people off trying the game or increase interest in it etc?

We are on the brink of an AI beating four top poker players and am interested what parallels we might see.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »

I have a chessy question for ya Tal

How did chess change when Deep Blue beat Kasparov? How did the best players adjust, did it put people off trying the game or increase interest in it etc?

We are on the brink of an AI beating four top poker players and am interested what parallels we might see.

From a public perspective, it was a big deal. In chess, the idea that Kasparov could lose was weird, but it was generally accepted that the day was coming when computers beat humans. If anything, Kasparov winning a game was a shock.

The 97 rematch was a bigger moment, when Kasparov was beaten over 6 games.

In chess, computers have been working as assistants to elite players and amateurs for 30 years or more. Indeed Kasparov was one of the first elite players to embrace programmes like chessbase.

Kasparov famously accused the computer of cheating, on the basis that it had played a move only a human brain could calculate. The notion that computers can "think" like humans was as shocking as anything from those matches really.

For balance, Kasparov is the closest thing to a computer chess has produced.

I've no doubt the publicity improved the game and enhanced interest in it. I'd say the world championship match Kasparov played against Nigel Short a few years earlier was a bigger influence on take up in the UK, though, even if he was clobbered.

The biggest change was probably in how many computers were bought. I expect IBM did out out of the whole thing (hence the Blue part of the name).

I believe part of Deep Blue ended up working got American Airlines in the reservation department. Or something similar.

As for poker, Team Maths (as tikay would say) will be delighted by the news, I expect. They've been predicting it for years.

Tweet Kasparov. You never know. He might answer.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »

What's going on here then?
 Click to see full-size image.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »

Too long. Sorry.

A nice piece on David Bronstein, an elite player often missed among a sea of soviet greats.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/shattered-illusions-genna-sosonkos-the-rise-and-fall-of-david-bronstein

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:30 AM »

google's "Deepmind" solves Chess, apparently.

Very clever, well done them, but I think it's rather sad actually.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42251535

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: