blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340724 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: November 25, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »

Anyone got a draws acca?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 26, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »

Something's happening!

Aronian and Kasparov both say the current position in Game 12 doesn't look like it'll end in a draw - not sure they've indicated who will win, but Carlsen is more developed with a big time advantage.

Crazy clock a while ago - Magnus banging them out like he's still in preparation.

Click to see full-size image.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 26, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »

After the chess world is shocked by Carlsen offering a draw when ahead on the board with Black and Caruna faced with making 9 moves in less than 9 minutes:

Caruana: “I was a bit surprised by the draw offer. I can never be better. And I don’t really have any active ideas. If anything, Black is better."

Carlsen: “I wasn’t necessarily going for the maximum. I just wanted a position that was completely safe, where I could put some pressure. If a draw hadn’t been a satisfactory result, obviously I would have approached it differently.”

Garry Kasparov @Kasparov63: "In light of this shocking draw offer from Magnus in a superior position with more time, I reconsider my evaluation of him being the favorite in rapids. Tiebreaks require tremendous nerves and he seems to be losing his."

Stars@stianstar: "It’s not that strange. He felt that he couldn’t win today without risk loosing. Now he can play 4 games as a favorite. A bigger sample rate is always best for the better player..which I’m sure you know Gary."

Pratham Solanki @Pratham_004: "I have better chance of having an orgy with the Olsen sisters than Fabio winning rapid/blitz against Carlsen."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 28, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »

Can anyone explain this to me, in the Armageddon situation:

The drawing of lots is crucial in this "sudden death" variant - the player with white pieces gets five minutes on the clock, and black receives only four.

But black has his own advantage.

If, despite the intense speed of the game, it once again ends in a draw, the player holding the black king is declared the winner - and the new world champion.

From here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46371202

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2434 on: November 28, 2018, 06:55:24 PM »

Magnus has won 3-0 at blitz.

He won’t keep his rockstar image with too many 6-6 draws in the future.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »

Gary Kasparov pointed out on Twitter that it was very odd Magnus agreed to a draw in game XII with an apparently superior position and a huge time advantage.

It would appear that Tal's assertion that it was because he was so confident of his superiority at speed-chess has been proved correct.

Kasparov actually inferred that it was a sign of weakness from Carlson.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 29, 2018, 12:46:48 AM »

Gary Kasparov pointed out on Twitter that it was very odd Magnus agreed to a draw in game XII with an apparently superior position and a huge time advantage.

It would appear that Tal's assertion that it was because he was so confident of his superiority at speed-chess has been proved correct.

Kasparov actually inferred that it was a sign of weakness from Carlson.

Carlsen in the press conference today discussed it:

"If I had a slightly favorable position…Then I was indeed going to offer a draw. I understand that’s not the mindset that everybody wants but I felt that’s what gave me the best chance to win the match.”

"As for the opinion of Garry and Vlad, then they’re entitled to their stupid opinion!"

But did add

"I suppose if I had lost today part of me would have regretted my approach to the 12th game."

https://www.chess.com/news/view/carlsen-wins-2018-world-chess-championship-in-playoff

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »

chess people:

was listening to a podcast with tyler cowan and he was talking about how people and machines might interact and collaborate in the future and he used chess as an example.

he cited something called freestyle chess where a team of computer+human regularly beats a computer on its own. this happens even when unassited humans lose to computers. he also said that having an eliite player paired with computers did not perform as well as a slightly lower rated player on the human+computer team.

this is mind blowing to me. have you any insights on this?
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 16, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »

iirc Kasparov covered AI in his latest book.

To be honest I never much looked into the freestyle stuff. Humans instinctively select a few candidate moves to explore whereas a computer number crunches every single possibility. Plus humans understand what position they want to achieve, what in theory is good, it's just getting there that is the hard part.

Imagine if 365 comes up on the Countdown numbers game. You'd know how you want to arrive at that outcome. Hope that helps.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 02, 2019, 10:39:03 PM »

no idea why they agreed a draw here so came for some help from Tal

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
McSnort
keep on snorting

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 02, 2019, 11:37:19 PM »

from comments

For those wondering what really happened:
Magnus wasn't feeling well, he explained that in an interview. At 0:52 you can hear him whisper "I offer a draw", which is why his opponent looks up. Then at 1:15 he says "terrible stomach". He didn't have to win, so was ok with a draw anyway.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: April 07, 2021, 05:37:51 PM »

https://en.chessbase.com/post/110-years-ago-capablanca-wins-in-san-sebastian

Wonderful piece of work on a tournament from 1911. What characters the game had back then.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 14, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »

There's a kid on the verge of becoming the youngest chess GM.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/14/chess-american-12-year-old-closes-in-on-world-record-for-youngest-grandmaster?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1620995994

The current record holder is Sergey Karjakin at 12 years and 7 months.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: June 13, 2021, 09:41:16 PM »

Abhimanyu Mishra is the name and he has till September to break the record.

This is him versus a player whose online rating is more relatable for the thread.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 28, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »

For anyone wanting to follow the World Chess Championship, Peter Svidler is working for a new channel:

It's him and Kramnik today.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: