blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130457 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »

Moreover, Australia are at risk of having their worst Olympic games in living memory.

The cherry on the icing on the shrimp on the grill.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »

Envious of you guys witnessing the Cycling, Vicky's race looked incredible, what a super star she is.

Tiny little thing I noticed, which I doubt very few others did.

After winning, on her victory lap, she tried to grab four or five Union Jacks from the crowd to wave. Failing every time.

Finally she got one from someone in the back straight.

Another lap or two waving to the crowd and flying the flag.

Then she stopped for the press photos and found her boyfriend and members of her family.

Then after everything was done, she peddled one more time round the track to find the people she took the flag from and give it back to them.

I have never seen a sportsman do that. Amazingly thoughtful at a moment you'd least expect it.

Just think she is a very special person.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »

Oh and we should host the Olympics every time. We just do it so well.

Kinda glad England didn't get the World Cup.

Would never have matched this imo.

stribling

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

Question - why is every announcement in French first?

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »

The founder of the modern Olympic Games, Baron De Coubertin was French.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_de_Coubertin

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »

Every member of the GB cycling team has broken at least 1 world record so far - that's kinda crazy
stribling

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »

simple - question answered. Many thanks.. Best couple of sporting days i can remember in a very long time.

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »

Le fondateur des Jeux Olympiques modernes, le baron Pierre de Coubertin était un Français.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_de_Coubertin

FYP (using Google translate)

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

Every member of the GB cycling team has broken at least 1 world record so far - that's kinda crazy

Imagine the fuss if it was the Chinese swimmers with that stat.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »

simple - question answered. Many thanks.. Best couple of sporting days i can remember in a very long time.

From wiki

French and English are the official languages of the Olympic Movement. The other language used at each Olympic Games is the language of the host country (or languages, if a country has more than one official language apart from French or English). Every proclamation (such as the announcement of each country during the parade of nations in the opening ceremony) is spoken in these three (or more) languages, or the main two depending on whether the host country is an English or French speaking country

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »

One of my favourite moments of today. Sums the Olympics up for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19117066

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »

Didn't see any of the tennis, but hear it was an incredible match and a brilliant performance by the BRIT called Andy Murray.

Yes, seen a different side of him this week - don't think I've ever seen him want it this bad, another example of how the Olympics, whole team enthusiasm  and less high profile sportsmen and women can  inspire a more high profile, affluent, sportsman from a mainstream sport. To a lesser extent, I think Bellamy has shown the same.

Love Vicky, so jealous of Camel as I tweeted earlier - it looked incredible. I'm so excited about three nights athletics but I swap one for a night at the velodrome. For me though - highlight of the day was Kath Grainger, what a lovely, humble women and so deserving

Loving this - don't want it to end
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

Envious of you guys witnessing the Cycling, Vicky's race looked incredible, what a super star she is.

Tiny little thing I noticed, which I doubt very few others did.

After winning, on her victory lap, she tried to grab four or five Union Jacks from the crowd to wave. Failing every time.

Finally she got one from someone in the back straight.

Another lap or two waving to the crowd and flying the flag.

Then she stopped for the press photos and found her boyfriend and members of her family.

Then after everything was done, she peddled one more time round the track to find the people she took the flag from and give it back to them.

I have never seen a sportsman do that. Amazingly thoughtful at a moment you'd least expect it.

Just think she is a very special person.

I bet a lot give the flag back, you just never see it on Telly as its off cam.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

Looks like Murray could have to play twice tmoro, BBC site says "Murray must play at least one mixed doubles match with Laura Robson on Saturday after their quarter-final against Lleyton Hewitt and Sam Stosur was delayed." The Mixed Doubles Q/F's and S/F's are scheduled for tmoro, yuck, that's pretty brutal.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2012, 04:16:22 AM »

I went to the Badminton on Wednesday.  Wembley arena was, largely, full and a really nice pleasant atmosphere.  Transport was pretty much perfect, the queue to pick up my ticket had one person in front of me and our seats were very good.  I am not really a badminton fan and there were obviously no Brits at this stage so I  feel they could have done a little bit more by way of education or giving a bit of a bio but it really is a minor criticism and something I could rectify using my phone.  Incidentally one thing I have been massively impressed with is that my phone including data has worked perfectly everywhere I have been which is more than can be said when I go to football matches.

Today I went to the Boxing at the Excel.  I am a massive boxing fan and have been to a lot of fights but this was something else.  The atmosphere was simply amazing and every fighter was clapped and chants of "Mongolia" along with stamping of feet and clapping of hands for a particularly spirited Mongolian tha caught the crowds imagination were on a par with or better than i have witnessed at fights for boxers like Ricky Burns or Kevin Mitchell that have good followings.  The last fight of the session was Britains Freddie Evans and I feared for the stand structures when the first glimpse of him came on TV.  He started slowly and was behind by one but came back and was level going into the final round.  By this point everyone was on their feet and it visibly lifted him and no doubt helped the judges a bit too to notice his scoring punches and he pulled away and won easily in the end.  Was just amazing.   There are a couple of Middlesbrough games that are very special in my memory but generally I have never been to sport I have enjoyed so much and, as has been mentioned before, everyone is just so nice from the volunteers to the army.....god even the Americans don't irritate me as much as usual!!!!!  I am off to the basketball tomorrow and then back up north for a few days before coming back to finish off in style with Athletics and the Mens Marathon next Sunday. I am so excited I can barely sleep!!!  Already thinking of a trip to Rio!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: