blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130489 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: August 10, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Still not a massive fan of taekwondo.  Close to the end of the second round and the score is 1-1, both of those points scored as penalties by the other fighter rather than effective strikes.

So that means two blokes waving their feet at each other without scoring a kick for 4 minutes so far...

The martial arts forum made a lot of the olympic scoring turning it into a kicking game - I'd actually completely forgotten that it's 'meant' to involve the hands as well. I don't know whether that would have made it a better spectator sport if there had been more punching though.

FWIW the bloke he lost to has fought Cook this year and last year - and lost both.

Been looking around for some info on this saga and from what I can surmise, Cook was not selected because he left the official training program last year and went to train on his own.

As long as he was told at the time this could affect his selection for the Olympics, it seems fair enough to leave him out.

Yes that's probably the reason, but they weren't 'allowed' to not select him for that reason - or because he said their tactics were all wrong and he had to leave to make sure he won stuff (he won 12 out of 13 after that). So they couldn't have told him that it would affect his selection because that would be admitting that they were going to be breaking their own rules because he was being mean to them Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

Seems pretty mental having the medals decided by a one-off race in the BMX - if you don't get to the first bend in the lead you're kinda dead.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

Seems pretty mental having the medals decided by a one-off race in the BMX - if you don't get to the first bend in the lead you're kinda dead.

Two days of qualification followed by a complete game of chance.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »

I thought that too, too much of a crapshoot. Should have point over a few rounds or something maybe,
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 10, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

Hardly a game of chance.

Think there were too many qualifiers though.

Should have been 1 qually round and a repercharge maybe.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 10, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

Hardly a game of chance.

even the commenator described it as a lottery!

would have thought cumulative scores after three runs, out of different gates, would have been fair

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »

Hardly a game of chance.

even the commenator described it as a lottery!

would have thought cumulative scores after three runs, out of different gates, would have been fair

Wasn't listening to the comm. Didn't the best qualifier have choice of lanes?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 10, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »

think so

comms says

"run the same race in ten minutes time and the result would be completely different"

so what's the point of all those qualifiers?

mental sport to watch, a big hit, but a bit of a head scratcher to the end to me

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

think so

comms says

"run the same race in ten minutes time and the result would be completely different"

so what's the point of all those qualifiers?

mental sport to watch, a big hit, but a bit of a head scratcher to the end to me

A bit similar to short track ice speed skating.

They only have one shot at it.

Makes for an exciting and tense spectacle.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: August 10, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »

Still not a massive fan of taekwondo.  Close to the end of the second round and the score is 1-1, both of those points scored as penalties by the other fighter rather than effective strikes.

So that means two blokes waving their feet at each other without scoring a kick for 4 minutes so far...

The martial arts forum made a lot of the olympic scoring turning it into a kicking game - I'd actually completely forgotten that it's 'meant' to involve the hands as well. I don't know whether that would have made it a better spectator sport if there had been more punching though.

FWIW the bloke he lost to has fought Cook this year and last year - and lost both.

Been looking around for some info on this saga and from what I can surmise, Cook was not selected because he left the official training program last year and went to train on his own.

As long as he was told at the time this could affect his selection for the Olympics, it seems fair enough to leave him out.

He went off to train on his own, and at his own expense, and went from an also ran to the world no. 1.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: August 10, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

GB women's hockey with a great 3-1 win against NZ to take the bronze medal.

Kate Walsh (who fractured her jaw in the first group game) was immense again, putting her body on the line a few times to stop NZ attacks. Alex Danson is the darling of the team, and those two definitely shone today.

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:12:49 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 10, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »

They couldn't be seen to admit he was right to sack their trainers off and go his own way by selecting him. Put the 2nd string in, teach him a lesson for daring to try and maximise his potential..........

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 10, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »

He went off to train on his own, and at his own expense, and went from an also ran to the world no. 1.

Thought martial arts were about discipline and respect.

As long as he was told leaving the official training scheme might affect his selection, I have no problem with leaving him out.

Mostly I feel sorry for the guy who took the spot on the team. He was subject to ridic scrutiny and questioning from the media through no fault of his own.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: August 10, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

Thought martial arts were about discipline and respect.

As long as he was told leaving the official training scheme might affect his selection, I have no problem with leaving him out.

Mostly I feel sorry for the guy who took the spot on the team. He was subject to ridic scrutiny and questioning from the media through no fault of his own.

Taekwondo isn't a martial art, it's a sport. 

(opens can of worms)

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 10, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »

Synchronised swimming belongs in the same 'it's not a sport' dustbin as dressage.
TV firmly switched off.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: