blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  That old guy stole my future (and other animals)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That old guy stole my future (and other animals)  (Read 12478 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:00:13 AM »

The lighting of the flame may just be the best thing ever. At a time when, economically, the youth have been robbed of their futures by the old, it was symbolic to have the old Olympians pass their chance to lit the flame on to the young.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:06:46 AM by AndrewT » Logged
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »

The lighting of the flame may just be the best thing ever. At a time when, economically, the youth have been robbed of their futures by the old, it was symbolic to have the old Olympians pass their chance to lit the flame on to the young.

Agreed.

Never backing Beckham in a power boat race though. Took him 2 1/2 hours to go about 2 miles!!!

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:17 AM »

Sorry to be dim, but I don't understand the bold bit Andrew. Would you mind explaining?

The older I get, the better I was.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »

Sorry to be dim, but I don't understand the bold bit Andrew. Would you mind explaining?

The old bought their houses cheap, pocketed the huge rise in the value of their homes, and yet now the young are having to pay higher taxes to pay for the pensions of the old, when the young themselves will get a pension of zero.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:45:19 AM »

The old bought their houses cheap, pocketed the huge rise in the value of their homes, and yet now the young are having to pay higher taxes to pay for the pensions of the old, when the young themselves will get a pension of zero.

Hmm. I don't see it quite like that. Most of the old people I know worked every hour God sent to provide a better life for the next generation.

If you want to describe working hard and investing your money wisely as robbing that's your choice.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

Bollocks, when our parents bought their houses they weren't cheap at all, its all relative. My parents busted a nut to get their house on a mortgage and they weren't skint by any stretch of the imagination. Its mostly down to a bit of luck v when u sell.

Hint, buy now  Cheesy
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »

Look up average house prices as a multiple of average earnings - houses used to be something that people on relatively average wages could afford. Now an entire generation will have to rent for ever because they'll never afford a deposit/mortgage.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »

Look up average house prices as a multiple of average earnings - houses used to be something that people on relatively average wages could afford. Now an entire generation will have to rent for ever because they'll never afford a deposit/mortgage.

And you blame the old for this? You call it robbing?

What would you have had them do instead?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »

Dont turn into one of the moaners, get a better job, move to a cheaper area blah blah. It's all possible unless stuff needs handing to people on a plate.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »

AndrewT's conclusion is pretty similar to a lot of economists, but they largely focus on how much of the benefit the babyboomer generation got from the state borrowing so much. That's the borrowing costs which are hampering our economy now and as much as the state is still borrowing, the national debt repayment plus rising costs mean the succeeding generations can never have it so easy in terms of help they're just being given

The thing about houses is true - but obviously it's just down to luck.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »

AndrewT's conclusion is pretty similar to a lot of economists, but they largely focus on how much of the benefit the babyboomer generation got from the state borrowing so much. That's the borrowing costs which are hampering our economy now and as much as the state is still borrowing, the national debt repayment plus rising costs mean the succeeding generations can never have it so easy in terms of help they're just being given

The thing about houses is true - but obviously it's just down to luck.

Jon puts it better than I did.

Whilst many people did work hard etc etc, there is a lack of realisation at how lucky they were to live at the time they did, and that this enhanced standard of living was more borrowed than earned than people realise.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »

I have to laugh at myself. This has been playing on my mind all night.

The whole mindset of someone making a comment like this tilts me beyond belief.

"the youth have been robbed of their futures by the old"

With the greatest respect, that has to rank as one of the most profoundly stupid remarks I've ever heard. It epitomises what is wrong with the world today.

What about the old who fought in two world wars? The old who cycled to work every day for 50 years because owning a car was beyond their means? The old who lived without central heating and had a 'proper' wash once a week in a tin bath in front of the fire? The old who took one weeks holiday a year on a coach trip to Skegness?

Are they the same old who die and leave all their possessions, along with a better world and better opportunities, to their children?

Not many of those 'Old' could afford to bet a weeks wages on a hand of cards, or fly to Vegas for a month-long drinking and gambling spree.

Well I hope the young get over the trauma of being robbed, and I hope those who raised (and robbed) them are suitably contrite.

Wake up and smell the roses Andrew. You never had it so good.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

Sorry Andrew. Had a rant. feel bad about it already.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

Sorry Andrew. Had a rant. feel bad about it already.

It's a good job you weren't on your bike.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »

v good, I really enjoyed the whole thing but that was the cherry on the cake for me.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: