blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  HSBC closing my account down... which is best bank to go with?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HSBC closing my account down... which is best bank to go with?  (Read 10708 times)
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »

HSBC have told me that, after 20 years of loyalty from me, they are closing my account down. They say the reason for this is that they don't like the large amounts of cash that I pay in (yes I know, thinly veiled brag etc), plus there are lots of bank transfers between myself and others. This breaks the terms and conditions on the account apparently. The annoying thing is that they are also closing the two joint accounts that myself and my wife have which we use to pay the bills and have loads of direct debits and standing orders set up on them etc (going to be a real pain to sort that out I imagine).

Anyway, I want advice on which bank I should go to. Does anyone know which banks are cool with the inevitable cash going in that goes hand in hand with being a poker player? Any advice would be great because it is going to be a major ball-ache changing banks and I want to ensure I pick the right one so I don't have to change again.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »

Hi Stu,

Was proper good to see you in Vegas.

Banking? I do a lot of transfers, both ways, & transactions with Online Bookmakers, ditto, and have never had a problem. I'm with NatWest.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »

A common problem

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=37060.0

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=56501.0

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »

Don't go near Santander.  They're shocking on so many levels, it's unreal. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
SolarCarro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »

Can't recommend a bank as HSBC are my preference but obviously not yours!

The Halifax seem to offer a good account and most banks have a switching service that transfers all your Direct Debits

You can normally get a 100 quid bonus as well if it is the main account that takes payroll and you fully switch all DD's using the switching service

The Martin Lewis website is normally good for these deals www.moneysavingexpert.com

Dave
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:32 AM »

I was a beard for a pro gambler for a year, and to get a joint account we had to go in together and they asked a few questions. I thought it was going to be a real ballache but he was treated like a vip and they basically said, whatever mortgage you want, we can sort. He hasn't had a fixed income for 5 years or so, and whilst admittedly being well off, they could not have wanted him in the bank any more! This was Barclays. Good luck.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

HSBC closed mine and I'm with barclays, they been fine
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

HSBC closed mine and I'm with barclays, they been fine

Did they give you a fixed rate? Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »

Barclays have always been good to me.  No questions asked.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Thanks for advice so far guys. Any other recommendations welcome.

Also, what would you advise my approach should be when I go in to whatever bank I choose to open a new account(s). Should I be upfront with them about what I do to save problems in the future? Or should I not tell them and then try to be 'clever' and discrete with how I get my money into my account to avoid any alarms being triggered off?

I am erring on the side of just being open and honest with them. Partly because they will ask me what my job is, and of course I don't have one. Partly because they will ask to see my last 3 months bank statements apparently, and these statements will show a load of things going on in my account. And partly because it'll be pretty obvious after a while that my account is being used in a particular way and I don't want to have to change banks again so I'd sooner choose a bank that is cool with it from the outset.

Also I just prefer being honest and open in general since I feel this is the right thing to do and usually prevents problems in the future. But if people advise me to adopt a different approach then I will strongly consider it. Please let me know your thoughts guys.

Also...

I was a beard for a pro gambler for a year
What on earth does this mean?Huh?
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »

HSBC did me also the fuckers, for 'Gambling transaction' pretty funny story, i was in the bank at the time on the phone trying to get as much as i could on an 8/11 shot.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »

Just tell them the truth, every time. It'll jump up & bite you in the future if you don't.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »

I had my account reviewed with Nat West, this was after my best mate who was a financial adviser left there. I moved to Barclays and the manager is a mate and all the staff know what I do and have never had a problem. I guess honesty is the best policy but often if the decision is made at a higher level I don't suppose there is much the branch staff can do about it.

Tikay is in quick and correct again

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »

I had my account reviewed with Nat West, this was after my best mate who was a financial adviser left there. I moved to Barclays and the manager is a mate and all the staff know what I do and have never had a problem. I guess honesty is the best policy but often if the decision is made at a higher level I don't suppose there is much the branch staff can do about it.

Tikay is in quick and correct again

own a profitable company?
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

Just tell them the truth, every time. It'll jump up & bite you in the future if you don't.

Well that's what I thought. But maybe if I tell them the truth all the banks will turn me down. I don't know, that's why I am asking for other people's experiences... have others been upfront with their bank and been allowed to open accounts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: