blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272885 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  GPS Sheffield - SOLD OUT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GPS Sheffield - SOLD OUT!  (Read 7892 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »

Why would you invest in someone you thought was capable of such tricks?

I wouldn't.

I have no idea who Tom is, but I thought this might well be a soft event so I fancied a punt and his references swayed me to trust him.

As I said above, I think it's unlikely he did anything underhand.

But as Tom said, he is inexperienced at being staked and I am pointing out what I think is an error in actions to show him how he should act if a similar situation came up in the future.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »

To be clear.

I would be beyond furious if Tom had won the tournament with his second bullet, having bought 10% in his first bullet and not having the chance to have the same share again.

As I said earlier, maintaining a spotless reputation is far more valuable in poker than the ev of playing in one tournament.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 04:48:01 PM »

I can see your point, but I don't really see it the same way.  Second bullets must be less likely to be positive EV than first ones.  If someone wants to fling more money at a second bullet than the first one they are welcome to sell it to whoever they like.

I definitely think it is something that should be mentioned in all potential staking arrangements for future re-entry tournaments though. 

I would also add that people should make clear when they are planning to join a tournament.  I staked somebody in an event in the summer who didn't show up until the end of level 4.  While I didn't reach your beyond furious, I was pretty irritated by this development.  I didn't pay a premium for somebody to play off a 20 BB stack.  Of course this is nothing to do with the OP, just seemed to be related. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

I can see your point, but I don't really see it the same way.  Second bullets must be less likely to be positive EV than first ones.  If someone wants to fling more money at a second bullet than the first one they are welcome to sell it to whoever they like.

I definitely think it is something that should be mentioned in all potential staking arrangements for future re-entry tournaments though. 

I would also add that people should make clear when they are planning to join a tournament.  I staked somebody in an event in the summer who didn't show up until the end of level 4.  While I didn't reach your beyond furious, I was pretty irritated by this development.  I didn't pay a premium for somebody to play off a 20 BB stack.  Of course this is nothing to do with the OP, just seemed to be related. 

Maybe "beyond furious" is a little over the top..

But when I buy a small share in someone I often forget about it, then suddenly remember a few days later and open the staking thread to find out the result.

I can't imagine I'd have been very amused to see Tom cop 15k and then later discover I had 0% of it!

youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

BTW I am not accusing you of doing either of those things, I think you have just not given the situation enough thought.

There is a tournament every week, your long term reputation is worth far more than your ev in one event.

You should have turned down the offer.

Possibly not, i am truly sorry if i caused offense / upset people with my decisions. I thought by taking my friend up on his proposal that i was seizing an opportunity, not that i was causing upset. Apparently it turns out the i was doing the opposite of what i intended and therefore could quite possibly have gained a bad reputation, due to my lack of thought.

In hindsight, after hearing your opinion, i wish i did decline the offer. As you say there are plenty of other opportunities out there. But whats done is done and i hope that people will understand my 'mistake' was totally innocent.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

Maybe "beyond furious" is a little over the top..

But when I buy a small share in someone I often forget about it, then suddenly remember a few days later and open the staking thread to find out the result.

I can't imagine I'd have been very amused to see Tom cop 15k and then later discover I had 0% of it!

Very fair point on the thinking you have won when you haven't.  Have experienced that before but through my own stupidity and not realising who I have staked and what events I have staked them in.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »

Pretty much this.

I think Camel might be being a tad harsh on the OP here.

Yes perhaps he should have included the possibility of the second bullet in the OP out of courtesy to investors.

And yes ideally he could have pm'd everybody at the time, but at least he posted very clearly about the situation at the re-entry time in the thread.

However, mentioning potential unscrupulous options is a little unfair on the op's character, who seems pretty transparent and maybe just a little green in this area.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »

BTW I am not accusing you of doing either of those things, I think you have just not given the situation enough thought.

There is a tournament every week, your long term reputation is worth far more than your ev in one event.

You should have turned down the offer.

Possibly not, i am truly sorry if i caused offense / upset people with my decisions. I thought by taking my friend up on his proposal that i was seizing an opportunity, not that i was causing upset. Apparently it turns out the i was doing the opposite of what i intended and therefore could quite possibly have gained a bad reputation, due to my lack of thought.

In hindsight, after hearing your opinion, i wish i did decline the offer. As you say there are plenty of other opportunities out there. But whats done is done and i hope that people will understand my 'mistake' was totally innocent.

No worries, apology not needed.

Just chalk it down to experience and best of luck in the future.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

Pretty much this.

Yes perhaps he should have included the possibility of the second bullet in the OP out of courtesy to investors.

And yes ideally he could have pm'd everybody at the time, but at least he posted very clearly about the situation at the re-entry time in the thread.

However, mentioning potential unscrupulous options is a little unfair on the op's character, who seems pretty transparent and maybe just a little green in this area.

I wasn't intending to sleight OP character, just pointing out why I thought he shouldn't have taken the offer.

If I had invested £50 once, it's pretty bleeding obvious that I would have taken the same share again.

(Or perhaps I would have taken 5% twice)

Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »

Pretty much this.

I wasn't intending to sleight OP character, just pointing out why I thought he shouldn't have taken the offer.

If I had invested £50 once, it's pretty bleeding obvious that I would have taken the same share again.

(Or perhaps I would have taken 5% twice)

Fair enough mate.

That coin trick doesn't work when I try it on people btw, obv doing it wrong!
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »

Tom, I don't know who you are and hence I only bought your action as a bit of a fun punt. However, I think you have handled the (completely justified) criticism from Keith very maturely and professionally. Accepting criticism/advice from someone who knows his stuff is not always easy for some people. Good for you for taking everything said on board, and with such good grace.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »

Tom, I don't know who you are and hence I only bought your action as a bit of a fun punt. However, I think you have handled the (completely justified) criticism from Keith very maturely and professionally. Accepting criticism/advice from someone who knows his stuff is not always easy for some people. Good for you for taking everything said on board, and with such good grace.

FYP
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »

FYP
do you know what FYP means Frankie?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »

FYP

Fixed Your Pant ( FYP ) ?
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »

FYP

Fixed Your Pant ( FYP ) ?

Fry Your Phish

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: