blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  When do we shove our Premium Hands?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When do we shove our Premium Hands?  (Read 15292 times)
AceOnTheRiver

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

Playing an online $10 tourney with around 50 left of 100 and I'm dealt  in mid position with a 13bb stack (8k at 300/600) and I really didn't know whether I should be just shipping this straight in or make a standard raise with the intent to call any shove and / or shove any flop when called pre with the possible exception of really horrible flops e.g.  where I may let go.

Being results orientated in this case I went for option B and the SB flopped a set of 8 on  flop which I shoved into- if I had shoved pre would he have folded? (his stack was slightly smaller than mine). If I shove am i either only picking up the B&A or only getting called by JJ+ or AK?

What would we do with  in this scenario?
What would we do with 44 through 99?

youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

Playing an online $10 tourney with around 50 left of 100 and I'm dealt  in mid position with a 13bb stack (8k at 300/600) and I really didn't know whether I should be just shipping this straight in or make a standard raise with the intent to call any shove and / or shove any flop when called pre with the possible exception of really horrible flops e.g.  where I may let go.

Being results orientated in this case I went for option B and the SB flopped a set of 8 on  flop which I shoved into- if I had shoved pre would he have folded? (his stack was slightly smaller than mine). If I shove am i either only picking up the B&A or only getting called by JJ+ or AK?

What would we do with  in this scenario?
What would we do with 44 through 99?

shoving is fine

MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »

Were there antes?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

Assuming no antes I standard open and obviously get it in post on the vast majority of boards. I am probably shoving less than 12bbs though.

With antes I would shove as part of a general strategy.
AceOnTheRiver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »

There were Antes; Shoving ftw then!!
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »

Assuming no antes I standard open and obviously get it in post on the vast majority of boards. I am probably shoving less than 12bbs though.

+1

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:38:55 AM »

+1

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
AceOnTheRiver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

Given that we shove (assuming antes are in play) in this scenario, at what point does our move change from shoving, to a standard raise? 15BB? 18BB?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »

Depends on how big the antes are.

I do quick calculations based on the size of the pot and convert it back to an adjusted big blind when there are antes in play. Simply divide the pot by 3 to get the small blind and therefore multiply by 2 to get the adjusted bb.

Then I go back to my base rule of more than 12 bigs, standard open. Less than 12 bigs shove.

Of course on occasions I do something slightly different. Like opening aces on a table who don't know my game and I haven't been consistently shoving recently.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »

I do quick calculations based on the size of the pot and convert it back to an adjusted big blind when there are antes in play. Simply divide the pot by 3 to get the small blind and therefore multiply by 2 to get the adjusted bb.

Then I go back to my base rule of more than 12 bigs, standard open. Less than 12 bigs shove.

Of course on occasions I do something slightly different. Like opening aces on a table who don't know my game and I haven't been consistently shoving recently.

M

What do I get, no sleep at night.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »

M

[  ] M

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

M

[  ] M

Why wouldn't you use M here, if you're M is 6 or under you shove, or have I missed something?

MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

M

[  ] M

Why wouldn't you use M here, if you're M is 6 or under you shove, or have I missed something?

When you write one letter as a response, you should perhaps expect some misinterpretation.

I thought you were trying to say Longy was long windedly describing 'M', when he of course isn't.

You can use M if you want but adjusted big blinds is way easier to work out on the fly.

And it's your btw.

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »

Damn, I must have been tired, you're very kind for pointing that out, no more one letter replies either. Must be tired as longy's method has me confused, if it's easier to work out than M, I need to know it.

JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:45:45 AM »

Probably opening AA/KK as standard here, shoving the rest. Fwiw, I'd probably open aces to about 8bbs, maybe even 7. People at these levels aren't awake enough to notice how exploitable your play is
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: