blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills  (Read 68711 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »

I'm not one for New Years Resolutions, but last year I set myself a target to get financially literate in 2012. I'm pleased to say I managed it (IMO) and I now know my ISAs from my elbow and all that. I consider myself very good with money now, I'm pretty much in the top 3 best buy for bank accounts, bills, savings, ISAs etc etc

Anyhoo now that that leak in life is plugged I have a new, much bigger aim for 2013 - to get 'handy'.

I amaze myself how I have survived the last 33 years barely able to change a lightbulb. I think I'm probably of the first generation where these 'man skills' are not mandatory in life, and I must say it is quite emasculating always having to call someone in for quite basic tasks.

Changing tyres, putting up shelves, bleeding the radiators, flat pack furniture - I can't do any of them.

A few months I managed to fix a blocked toilet, I was so proud of myself I would tell anyone who would listen even though all I was really doing was bragging about the fact I blocked up a toilet.

So my aim for 2013 is not to turn into Handy Andy, but at least put myself in a position where having a crack at it myself first is a viable option. I'm buying my first house early next year so now really seems the time to do it.

So I've started this thread to create some accountability to do it, as well as to hopefully get some advice and most of all to let you all laugh at my incompetence.

It starts today as our shower hose has broke, which seems like a nice easy job to get started.

Would really love to get advice from people who are good at this sort of thing. YouTube seems like a great starting point for learning handy skills. Anyone know any other good resources?

Also thought I might get myself a tool kit - what would everyone say are must have tools for house and car maintenance?

Useful advice from people ITT:
Bleeding a Radiator

Man Skill Merit Badges:
Fixing a shower hose
Both blocking and unblocking a toilet

Disclaimer: Not everyone posting advice ITT is a trained professional so please seek advice before carrying out any repairs mentioned. Blonde poker nor any of the posters accept liability etc etc.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:52:51 AM by DaveShoelace » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »

thread has potential

Hope RED DOG is handy. He might be needed

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

Sighs. Thought you were gonna become a cage fighter.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

Very best of luck to you from a fellow member of the illiterati.

I play in a pool league with a group of lads who are all labourers, sparkies, gas engineers and so on. They find it hilarious/unbelievable that I can't wire a plug or fit a fuse.

Apparently "it wasn't part of my degree" isn't a defence.

They turn, incredulously and in a state of bewinderment, to me and say "all you need to do is..." and then there is some sort of noise after that, with hand gestures, something about flux capacitors or cam shafts or two-be-fours, before "and that's it!"

I nod as though I had the faintest clue what they just said.

At least when I explained Pythagoras' Theorem to them the other week I did it using beermats and actually made it make sense.

Unless they were doing what I did...

Anyway, am now subscribed and am looking forward to an education.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

Guess I'll just be starting another fat thread 
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »

Great thread

As son of a plumber I like to think I have some degree of ability, but with 3 brothers as plumbers, am often embarrassed by my inability (by comparison).

This thread should be a pic fest, also can wait to see some of the cock ups ;0)

Shower hose is a nice easy start, just a screw fitting at each end (make sure you don't lose the washers, those little fibre/rubber circles are not "packing bits"! You might need a set of grips to loosen the existing hose, especially if in a lime scaly area. I would just hand tighten when you refit thou (maybe just 'nip' it tight with grips if you aren't happy)!

Gl, let us know how you get on

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

Ok challenge one should be easy. The 'holder thingy' on the end of the shower hose has broken. So the first challenge is finding out what you call the end bit, as I presume it is not 'holder thingy'.

So far I have taped it back with duct tape. Believe it or not, I'm proud I got this far.

So it looks like from my research it's just getting a new hose. I've seen the actual hose which came with the shower for 17quid, and then generic ones seem a similar price. My question for the forum is, are the 'holder thingys' almost all one size fits all? They certainly look that way.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:03:01 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »

Will follow with interest, I can't do anything myself & it's embarrassing. Looking forward to the bleeding radiators section as mine need doing, I don't want to call the landlord as they will see what a mess the dog has made of the carpet...

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

Have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this thread.  

To save us rambling off things we'd consider obvious, what tools do you currently own?  Hammer, tape measure, etc...

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »

The only way to learn how to do this stuff is to do it.

Much prefer doing electrical stuff compared to plumbing, but will give most things a go until I decide I don't have the right tools (stock excuse) and so go out and get some more.  I have a lot of tools.  My favourites are my table saw and my drills - and my hammers, obviously.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »

Have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this thread.  

To save us rambling off things we'd consider obvious, what tools do you currently own?  Hammer, tape measure, etc...

We have some random screwdrivers lying around here and there. Got a very good set of allen keys. Think we have a hammer. Got a tape measure. Probably have a lot more stuff which I cant remember.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »

B&Q easiest for the shower bits.

Sov, pic of boiler (inc dial) and pipe set up directly beneath pls.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

Bleeding radiators:

(my concern here is just how unable are we all?)

You will need

1. a radiator key
2. An old towel/rag

You will need to bleed rads bottom to top ( as in ground floor then first floor)

Look at the radiator and there will be a "nipple" usually to the top right hand side. Take the rag and place it behind the rad to protect the wall from spray.
Take the key and loosen the nipple (or screw). In more modern rads this has a plastic surround/housing. DO NOT TAKE THE SCREW ALL THE WAY OUT!

When you loosen one of 2 things will happen. If it needed bleeding it will hiss as air escapes. If not water will start to squirt out (likely to be very dirty/black). Once water starts to squirt you can retighten the nipple, you have completed task one. Now repeat for each rad in turn.

VERY IMPORTANT

Your boiler has a pressure guage on it. If much air was released pressure will have dropped. You will now need to "top it up". Your boiler should have a filling loop, a flexible coiled pipe with a tap on it.

Locate the pressure guage. This should be set to 1 bar! THATS ONE BAR! Do not over fill!

If less than 1 bar, open the tap SLOWLY, you will hear a hiss as it fills. Watch the needle move and turn tap off when it reaches 1 bar.

NOTE: do not bleed rads if you are unwilling/ unable to top up pressure as no pressure is likely to mean no heating at all

Having typed all that on my iPad I'm realising how tricky this thread could be, maybe videos are the way forward!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

I've always had someone else to get to do the stuff for me previously. My Dad was pretty handy but sadly he is no longer with us any more (Another reason I want to be good at this is in case my Mum needs help with stuff), my landlord is also my next door neighbor and also a builder, which has been perfect from a getting stuff fixed point of view. So I think knowing I'll be buying my own house soon has made me realise how alone I will be in this regard pretty soon. Also there are a bunch of things which need doing round here in order to make sure I get my renters deposit back, which I will be doing to get me some practice in for the new place, including:

A tap broke in the kitchen (Cosmetic, it works, just the red bit to signify hot has fallen off)
Painting skirting boards
The garden needs a good tidy up
A button needs replacing on the oven
Our wooden gate is expanding a bit in the cold and you cant always shut it.

Also on the 'want to know asap list'

Changing a tyre (actually did this when I first learned to drive but have completely forgot)
Bleeding a radiator (for SovietSong)
dissassembling and reassembling some of our flatpack furniture

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »

Shower attachments are generally universal.  Chance asking at B&Q if you can buy the connector bit on it's own.  Can't remember if they can be got as an individual item or if they only come with the hose.  When you do get the new bit...don't use any tool to tighten it!!!  Hand tighten only or you'll be sorry later.  

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: