blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  If you had to make $20k?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you had to make $20k?  (Read 4747 times)
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

Hate to be a downer, but if you are having to ask this kind of question, it is unlikely you will be successful in turning over a decent profit without a lot of coaching.

Its 2013 and the games not so easy Smiley

Very valid point and tbf i think i have indicated on prev threads that as an older guy i don't easily grasp the concepts that the younger/better players comfortably understand.  But i have been around this site for a little while and am really only asking for some ideas above what i have considered for my self.  I suppose a little confirmation really. ( I am also not the greatest pensman, LDO,  but really admire those that are)

That being said i do not believe that if i applied my self in a mature and organised way that these concepts are beyond my grasping.  As a more mature player it does give me some advantages, i do not want or need to set the world on fire, i certainly don't want to get money to blow on hookers and blow (although i do like to read about those that do Smiley ) . I can work within a BR which the fact that i have stayed in the micros for so long testifies, in fact when i cash i draw it out and spend it on the family, holidays and the like.  If i say i will grind X  for X  hours that is exactly what i will do. ect ect ect

As a young man i rose through the ranks of the Royal Enginners to become, at that point, the youngest Sergeant Major in the corp. This drive to be the best is in my make up and if i decide to succeed i will.  It is all of these little points that is making me ask for advice that is all.

As a recreational player i read lots but dismiss lots, in future maybe i need to get stuck in more theory and ask more questions.

Thanks again for your response.
Really admire your post here an good luck an I actually even though u are in the older generation ( im stuck in the middle I guess!) hope an know u will succeed with your attitude.

Fantastic post sir, best of luck!

Cash online imo, with good live games thrown in.

I think from what I understand of the games I play and just above me that anyone can beat <100nl with hard work, but beyond requires talent, work, dedication and more work.

Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »

People more qualified than me have already given you advice, but what I what say if I was to add anything...

Would echo what Dave says above about not setting monetary targets from poker. It only adds stress, with the desire every day/week/month to be on target all the time. It gives you extra reasons, as if you needed any, to think that things aren't going right and to wonder whether you're good enough to do it. Or alternatively, if things are going well in the short time, to raise your expectations and to extrapolate the hope of greater success down the line. Both of which will tend to negatively affect your game.

Also would say, don't think about rakeback as some sort of 'free money'. Of course, the rakeback deal you can get (or VPP status on Stars or whatever) will influence where you play. But rakeback isn't free money. It's a chunk of your profit that the site agrees to let you keep. If you don't beat the other players at the table, then rakeback is just a rebate on your losses. So the important thing is to find a game where you're better on average than the other players, so that you can beat them and make a profit after you've paid your tax (rake) to the site. Yes, play in the jurisdiction with the most lenient tax policy, if that's where you make most money. But make sure you think of rake, and rakeback, as just that - a tax and a tax rebate, and not of rakeback as some sort of generous handout.

Personally, I wouldn't advise someone in your situation to try and make your money from poker. At the moment, you think you don't have enough time. But at least you know what time you have, and can be completely off work in your free hours. If you make the switch to poker, how much time will you have to put in before you can reliably make £10/hour? How much time will you have to play before you know that you can reliably make £10/hour? How much time will you have to study so that you can still make £10/hour in 2014? In 2015? How much time away from the table/computer will you spend thinking about these things?

The hourly rate is completely arbitrary, but the point is that no-one knows the answers to these questions, and that these questions never really go away, because the games are always changing and evolving, and generally getting more and more difficult. So even if you gave up work and made your target amount for the next six months, you still wouldn't know if you'd be able to make that same amount in the following six months. The danger being that what is supposed to be three or four hours per day of playing poker actually ends up taking over more 'thought hours' than your current job does.

Of course, it's possible that you'd get better and better, at a rate faster than most people playing your games, so that you'd be likely to make more and more money in the future. But you'd need to ask yourself how confident you'd be about that happening, to decide whether you'd be happy to have all the question marks that come with poker hanging almost permanently over your head.

Hope that doesn't sound too much like doom-mongering, and good luck with what you decide to do!
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 01:26:19 AM »

^^^^ Very good post and I agree with all of it.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

Great post sir and TY.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »

Moskvich!

Where you been I missed you Tongue

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »

Ok I thought that I would post a little note to this thread as I started it and I hate loose ends.

I have been doing lots of reading, studying and trying a few things since this thread started. I had 4 days home alone with the wife away and being snowed in so I just hermit crabbed it and got my head stuck into some study.  You know what it is bloody boring.  It is lonely as hell and it is no fun.  The direct opposite of what I want from my donkaments without the pressure of having to bink.
It’s not like I didn’t know all of the above but when looking at it a bit deeper i have decided that at the moment  it is not the way ahead for me to try and supplement my  income with poker.  So in that respect the thread worked.

I am going to study and try to keep up with the game but I really want to enjoy it and for me that is recreational MTT’s.  I have hit scores before and have been close a couple of times to decent scores and I am sure I can again.  So I am just going to plod on and see where the next 18months’ takes me, win the Sunday a million a couple of times, job done.

Cheers all keep winning the lot.

BTW Blonde rocks,  LDO.

Steve
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »

GLGL.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: