blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 03:53:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Markup??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Markup??  (Read 13344 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »

Personally believe a lot if people but shares just for the fact they know each other or just more money than sense. I think it was one stake request that I can remember not even close to selling out, so shows it was overpriced.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

Sell at 1.0 unless you have evidence to back up being able to sell for more.

Disagree completely. Nobody have enough sample size to "prove" their value in anything live.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

auction /end thread

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »

Fair is what the market will pay?

Not really. Look at Daniel Morgan and his ridic Vegas ME mark up & many more.

Lots of people overprice mark up, that's how it is.

Worst example you could have given, I don't know what it was but if Dan sold at 1.6 for the main it wouldn't be ridiculous.

If you sold at 0.9 for the ME though, that would be ridiculous.

^ Auctions are the 'fairest' way though
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

Markup doesnt have to be exactly what a persons value in the tourney is, its also what the seller thinks its worthwhile to them to sell it at, which can often be more than their true value in the tournament.

Aaron might have thought Dan Morgans ME markup was overpriced but maybe it wasnt worth it to Dan to sell for any less

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »

Disagree completely. Nobody have enough sample size to "prove" their value in anything live.

This, is kinda my point..

I don't understand how you would 'calculate it' rather than just say "well xxxx is selling at x.x and I think im x better so I'll sell at x"
Seems unprofessional in the least to be honest....

??

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »

Auctions wouldn't work for someone who doesnt have enough liquidity in the market though. For example I'd possibly fail to reach 1;2 in a DTD deepstack despite being convinced I'm worth at least that. I like my approach of saying, I', playing this, I'm charging this, if you want it have a piece, if not LEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGO

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »

let the market decide imo

auctions

Just me
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »

I like my approach of saying, I', playing this, I'm charging this, if you want it have a piece, if not LEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGO

Agree. I didn't need to have cashed or have a "record" in EPTs to know I was worth >1.0 in them.

I always go with the same approach as Adam. "I think I'm value at this price, if you do too, have a piece, if you don't, no problem, don't buy"

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »

I didn't say proof was needed - just evidence. So e.g. in the EPT then for a lot of people they won't have played in that comp before. But acceptable evidence might be a good tournament result elsewhere such as maybe cashing in some GUKPTs or something.

So as you say you can just say "i'm selling at 1.5 - buy or don't buy, up to you." You're making that request with something to back it up. You've got your diary on here detailing games you've played, thoughts, etc. You've got previous results. So a staking request by you will automatically have those things backing it for most people in your case.

If someone completely unknown came on here and tried to sell at 1.5 then we'd quite rightly be asking for something to justify that price. If nothing was provided then no-one would buy.

Blue text
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

I understand and appreciate that I could sell some action for x comp at x rate and expect a sellout.

But I would also think I would be a 'good punt' at x price considering the field.

What I was wondering is whether anyone has any other methods than the finger in the air one?

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »

what do u think is fair mark up for you in whatever tournament you are talking about, Cork?

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »

what do u think is fair mark up for you in whatever tournament you are talking about, Cork?

Of what I understand of markups...

In comparing myself to the average field in 'said event' i understand the UKIPT to be a heavily qualified online tournament, these tend to be 'softer'.  Couple that with it being in Ireland, where, I've been told, they love the game a lot but dont have as high a proportion of pros: recs as the UK.  (unconfirmed)

I would say I think I am somewhere between 1.1-1.2. But I am an overly confident ego-maniac who has little true statistical appreciation of my ROI in MTT poker.
Read - I think I know a lot, I dont.

For those that know me, what do they think of my 'finger in the air' guess?

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »

Of what I understand of markups...

In comparing myself to the average field in 'said event' i understand the UKIPT to be a heavily qualified online tournament, these tend to be 'softer'.  Couple that with it being in Ireland, where, I've been told, they love the game a lot but dont have as high a proportion of pros: recs as the UK.  (unconfirmed)

I would say I think I am somewhere between 1.1-1.2. But I am an overly confident ego-maniac who has little true statistical appreciation of my ROI in MTT poker.
Read - I think I know a lot, I dont.

For those that know me, what do they think of my 'finger in the air' guess?

yeh i think the .1-.2 bit is about right

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »

wtf colour is that CF. ridic horrible
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: