blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  DTD February £150,000 Deepstack: Day1b
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD February £150,000 Deepstack: Day1b  (Read 53720 times)
semtex

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

The online figures will always be disproportionate that I can guarantee......after 2.5 hours "spec" had a 240k stack many players had 10 x BB at that stage, shoving with KJ he picked them off with AQ a standard 60/40 flip. I don't know what he did with his stack as I went off for a Thai meal, but was keen to see the later stages of the play. Trigg lost a big pot vs Ben who had flopped a set of Jacks on an innocuous board, Trigg caught a set of on the turn and understandably it all went in, a bit of a car crash, which gave Ben the chip lead!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »

Also the average for 1a is irrelevant. Doesn't matter what you do to the clock you're always going to get the online short stacks spinning up much more than the Friday lives and the Friday lives spinning up more than the Saturdays.

There's no way you'll change that, it's a function of logistics and pretty much nothing to do with actual poker.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
flushthemout

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »

Was going to play this but reaching 700k live is a nailed on impossibility, im sure it wont deter people entering but a tough task.

This should have absolutely no bearing on whether anyone plays or not! And to be quite frank is absolutely  irrelevant

Like i said it wont, but still a tough task live

Your only on this Planet once.......... so enjoy
flushthemout

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »

Also the average for 1a is irrelevant. Doesn't matter what you do to the clock you're always going to get the online short stacks spinning up much more than the Friday lives and the Friday lives spinning up more than the Saturdays.

There's no way you'll change that, it's a function of logistics and pretty much nothing to do with actual poker.

Agree Matt

Your only on this Planet once.......... so enjoy
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »

The online figures will always be disproportionate that I can guarantee......

Of course they will it's a totally different game with a much higher proportion than usual of good players.

The good players will generally get rid of most of the crap ones 'til they get short handed.

At that stage the proportion of good players is even higher and none of them are going to sit around waiting for their stack to drop to dust.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
semtex

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »

How can you say the average is irrelevant? This is a trial and simply proves that unless the online day 1a is synced with the live tournament this will act as a disincentive for the core live players. Don't get me wrong I still intend to play this invent, but hopefully Simon and Rob will act on the information to hand and put in place fair guidelines to protect both sets of players!
semtex

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »

Was going to play this but reaching 700k live is a nailed on impossibility, im sure it wont deter people entering but a tough task.

This should have absolutely no bearing on whether anyone plays or not! And to be quite frank is absolutely  irrelevant

Like i said it wont, but still a tough task live

Even if you run like God in live play this will be a rare occurrence to accumulate a stack this big in live play, from what I saw of the online game it is likely to be a regular occurrence for the online days.... End of!
fizix87

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

Of course they will it's a totally different game with a much higher proportion than usual of good players.

The good players will generally get rid of most of the crap ones 'til they get short handed.

At that stage the proportion of good players is even higher and none of them are going to sit around waiting for their stack to drop to dust.

This was not my experience yesterday at all fwiw and I am sure other people who played would agree
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »

How can you say the average is irrelevant? This is a trial and simply proves that unless the online day 1a is synced with the live tournament this will act as a disincentive for the core live players. Don't get me wrong I still intend to play this invent, but hopefully Simon and Rob will act on the information to hand and put in place fair guidelines to protect both sets of players!

You can never sync an online day 1 with a live day 1. The play is always going to be different especially when the online day 1 is the first of 3 possible attempts.

Perhaps if they made the online day 1 the last one it might help. Alternatively scrap the re-entry which would change the play significantly.

This comp simply had a higher proportion of good players who are used to playing online. They play the game dependent on their stack size compared to the big blind rather than how long it's going to take to drive home what they're going to do tomorrow if they don't scrape through to day 2. No amount of tweaking can change that.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »

This was not my experience yesterday at all fwiw and I am sure other people who played would agree

Throw Trigg in to a field of 85 rather than a Saturday field of 300 and you instantly have a higher proportion.

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »

why does it matter how much the chip leader has? it always amazes me how live player fixate on "what the average is?" "how much has the chip leader got?" If you are still in the tournament both these questions are completely irrelevant and the only thing that should matter to you is the amount of big blinds you have.

As far as I'm concerned the online (which I played but didn't make it through) was a big success. I have never had over 120k I don't think at the end of day1 of a DTD event, has it ever bothered me that people have 400k? no. It really is irrelevant.

If live players stopped thinking with this logic it would help their games instantly.

IMO, the more people that play the online day1 the better because it will make the average higher and make day 2 alot deeper instead of it constantly being a 20bb crapshoot for 8 hours.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
fizix87

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »

Throw Trigg in to a field of 85 rather than a Saturday field of 300 and you instantly have a higher proportion.

While I agree that there were certain people (myself included) who played the online Day 1a who would have been unlikely to travel to Nottingham, I still think it needs to be stressed that the field yesterday was hardly packed with online sickos and the overall standard felt pretty equivalent to the couple of DTD Deepstacks I have played previously
h

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »

there apears to be lots of poker players who can only count to 7
jdogloves46

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

The only fair way to sync the online with the live event, is to give the online a set number of hands per level that is equal to the average hands played per level live. Once the number of hands played has hit that watermark the level goes up. Also remove the re-entry option for people who play the online day 1. This is the only way I can see it being fair, and also allows those with long ways to travel to play online. Personally I couldn't play this weekend so haven't entered at all. But if the online is run again without changes I DEFO will play the online as I think I have an edge there generally, and this format only accentuates it.
semtex

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »

My final word on the subject as I need to prepare for the 12 hour live grind ahead....if the format and chip stacks are left as is and not synced in some manner for future ones might I suggest the tournament is renamed and "Deepstack" withdrawn from the online element of the tournament! as "Irrelevant" seems to be the word of the day!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: