blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  AdamM's 40th birthday
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AdamM's 40th birthday  (Read 12114 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »

This is something I mentioned a while ago, but it's only a few weeks away now. On 9th March, I turn 40 and I'm doing something a bit different to celebrate it.

A girl from Barnardos knocked on the door about a year ago asking me for a monthly donation. I was about to give her a polite "already give to charity" decline, when I thought to myself, other than a tenner here or there to Comic Relief / Children in need, in honesty, I don't. So I listened to her pitch, then signed up for a tenner a month. But I was still left thinking, actually, that's still not much really. I had the idea to "give my 40th birthday to charity. Initially, by that I meant getting any friends or family that would have bought me a card, present or pint, to instead donate the money to a designated charity.

Shortly after this, I was talked out of musical retirement to form a rock covers band. I played my first gig 15th Jan 1990. I'd been in and out of retirement from it in my mid-late 30's mostly because I couldn't be arsed organising practices and sorting out the logistics involved in getting all the gear to gigs. However much I tried to pack it in though, I still miss getting up and doing my thing. My new band, DYNAMITE BILLY rehearsed through the summer and played its first gig in September. The idea germinated that we could put on a charity gig for my birthday, which as a happy coincidence lands on a saturday night. I talked to the guys in the band and they were up for it. I also talked to a several musician friends who were at the gig who also thought it was a good idea. It started to occur to me that, over the 23 years I've been playing in bands, I've played with dozens of bands and maybe into the hundreds of musicians. "What if," I though, "I got a few of them to get up and do some guest spots?" Everyone I asked said they'd love to do it. Some weren't available and were gutted about it. Song ideas were, and still are being thrown around. I'm crashing peoples' band practices through February, and people are crashing Dynamite Billy practices to run through guest spots.

Next job was to choose a charity to raise funds for. Obvious candidates were either Diabetes research (my dad and sister are both type 1 diabetics) or Heart Foundation (dad had a quadruple bypass last year). However, for this event, what I thought I'd rather do is raise money for a local charity project, rather than throw the money into a national charity that raises millions a year. I contacted the local Barnardos fund raiser to ask if there were any local projects I could support. There were a couple of very worthy projects suggested, but one in particular jumped out at me. Barnardos are working in partnership with a local charity organisation called SoundLINCS on a project called SoundBOOST. They work with 16-21 year olds who are leaving the care system. They teach them to play musical instruments and to compose and perform their material. It improves confidence and self esteem, makes them social connections, and also gives them something positive to put on a CV and talk to potential employers about, in the absence of qualifications, extracurricular activities, hobbies, etc. Once they complete the programme, the intention is for these young people to act as mentors for 11-16 year olds still in the care system, and to start that personal development at an earlier stage and to improve the life chances of kids starting out at a significant disadvantage, through no fault of their own.

The kids on the programme will be using communal equipment belonging to SoundLINCS, but when they complete it, there's no funding for them to be given instruments of their own. That's where money I raise will come in. I'll be able to buy these kids their own equipment so they can continue their musical journey long after they complete their time in the SoundBOOST project.

So, I'm on the scrounge. As I said earlier, all my family and friends will be putting present / card / drink money into the pot for me. We'll also have some Barnardos fund raisers there on the night of the gig with buckets to collect cash donations. If you would consider "buying me a drink" for my 40th birthday, there's a BT MyDonate page. This was chosen over JustGiving because the latter charges the charity quite heavily for the service, whereas MyDonate is a free service and the charity get 100% of the money raised. This is the page:

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/adammason1

Any donations gratefully received.

And of course, if you live anywhere near me, you're welcome at the gig.
It's at Chameleon Music Bar in Grantham on March 9th. Live music starts at 8:30 and it'll be a wide range of rock, punk, blues, and metal, but you won't have to be a hard-core rocker to enjoy it. There'll be lots of really well known and well loved songs for everyone to enjoy.

Cheers

AdamM
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »

Thanks Craigbetts
first very generous donation Smiley
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

So, only 2 days of my 30s left, then this happens.

Been having musicians drop into my band's practices, and I've dropped into a few others.
Some haven't managed to get together at all and will be winging it on the night.
It was in the local rag last week and will be again tomorrow.
I was on the local radio rock show on Tuesday to plug it.
Been banging on about it to all my facebook friends.
Hopefully we'll get close to filling the place with around 500 people.

Kicking off the live music around 8:30
Our usual 20 song set takes around 1:30-1:45 to get through.
With the guest spots swelling that to 32 songs and change overs of 20 or so guest musicians, that could easily run to 3 hours.
I'm the only person playing the whole set, so I'll be pretty beat by the end of it I imagine.

The set is various rock, punk, metal and blues from 70s to 00s

Don't think I've ever looked forward to playing a gig as much as this in 23 years of performing.
Personal target is to raise between £3000-£5000, but I think I might be shooting high.
The Charity would be happy with just the exposure and a few hundred quid in the buckets on the night.

Again; https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/adammason1

Any donations gratefully received.

For anyone that Grantham's in range, you're more than welcome on the night.
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Happy birthday for Saturday....think it's a great thing to do on your 40th and charity looks cool. Enjoy
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »

Happy birthday for Saturday....think it's a great thing to do on your 40th and charity looks cool. Enjoy

Thanks for your donation.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

Thanks Redsimon
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Have a good gig/40th Adam 

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »

Well, that went alright :-)
Didn't quite get the turnout I was hoping for. A lot of people that explicitly said they were coming didn't. Maybe Mothers Day next day, the snow, or just not really liking me kept some away. We probably got about 150-200 though which is a good turn out for a local gig. We went on a b it later than planned, just before 9pm and it took till 12:30 to get through this lot:
Word Up - Gun
Breaking The Law - Judas Priest
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Monkey wrench - Foo Fighters
Are You Gonna Go My way - Lenny Kravitz
Sweet Child Of Mine - G'n'R
L'il Devil - The Cult
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Hush - Kula Shaka version
High Way To Hell - ACDC
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
American Idiot - Green Day
Kung Fu Fighting - (not very...) Carl Douglas
Walking On Sunshine - (not very...) Katrina and the Waves
Roots Bloody Roots - Sepultura
Bodies - Drowning Pool
Overkill - Motorhead
Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
Time Bomb - Rancid
Ruby Soho - Rancid
I Wanna Go Where The People Go - Wild Hearts
Screamager - Therapy!
Cross Roads - Cream
Can't Get Enough Of Your Love - Bad Company
Sweet Home Chicago - Eric Clapton Version (apparently)
Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Hard To Handle - Black Crows
Rock An Roll - Led Zepellin
Alright Night - Free
Rocks - Primal Scream
Tie Your Mother Down - Queen

Encore
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi
Rock N Roll All Nite - Kiss

We did the last one Live Aid style with the guest musicians (or those that hadn't had to leave) all up on stage singing along with the choruses. It really was pretty epic.

No idea how much has been raised as Barnardos took the buckets away with them to count. I'm hoping that, with the £400 or so raised on the MyDonate page, we at least get over £1000. I'm still taking donations though, if anyone's feeling a bit flush.

Rather than being one night of fund raising, it's going to be the beginning of something I think. I'm planning a follow up gig in June. Same venue and charity, but a more standar 5 band bill. I might do the birthday thing every year. Maybe for the same charity too, as I really believe in what they're doing. They're going to do the necessary CRB checks, then I'm going to start going to the music workshop session with the kids on the programme. I can happily sit in with anything from Jaz, Blues, Folk, punk, classic rock and heavy metal / thrash. I'm sure I can bring something to the table for these kids musically.

I'll stick some photos up when I've been through them and picked out the best ones.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »

The total raised for this gig was around £600.
It's a lot less than I'd hoped for, but still, it'll make a difference. That's why I chose a local charity I guess, so even a small amount would help.

The charity finally got the gift aid option set up, so for the guys that donated, if could PM me your email address I can send you a short form which will enable the charity to claim the tax back. It will increase the donation by 25% so it really helps.

Still taking donations if anyone's feeling flush Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: