blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146573 times)
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »

Enjoyed catching up on some of this and sorry to be an arse, but paragraphs would really encourage/help me to read the rest.

Developing nicely this one.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »

hm disagree and think levelling is v important, especially live more so than online.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »

hm disagree and think levelling is v important, especially live more so than online.

Il play you HU then, let you level away while I take your money Tongue

In all seriousness though I think at the stakes mentioned leveling is irrelevant. As stu has said just play your range vs your opponents range. Often times your opponent wont even realise what your/his range even is, so when will he even be concerned with levels. Just my opinion of course

Pseudo Irish guy luckboxing through life Wink
twitter: adiman999
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »

Can you explain why you think this in a bit more detail Patrick?
tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »

Not sure if level.

This post also a possible level.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »

Lil'Dave recently told me something funny that is relevant to this topic. Last week he had two back to back conversations about poker with two very different players.

The first conversation was with a much-loved poster on this forum. He gave a hugely complicated analysis of a hand, telling Dave in detail all about his opponent's perception of his perception of his opponent's perception etc.

The second conversation was with JP Kelly. JP is rather good at poker. Dave asked him why he didnt 3bet a decent looking broadway hand in a heads up PLO pot. JP said, "Only three betting small cards, cos he always thinks I have high cards".

And that's the difference.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »

The first conversation was with a much-loved poster on this forum. He gave a hugely complicated analysis of a hand, telling Dave in detail all about his opponent's perception of his perception of his opponent's perception etc.

#realjohnblackquotes perchance? Wink

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

"Only three betting small cards, cos he always thinks I have high cards".

Think this may be my new favourite poker quote

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »

FYI you and Stu are talking about slightly different things, and you're both right.

Pads is saying using your image/reputation/read on game dynamic to try and level people is very important in live poker, and Stu is saying getting leveled in live poker is really stupid.

So that all makes sense really.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »

FYI you and Stu are talking about slightly different things, and you're both right.

Pads is saying using your image/reputation/read on game dynamic to try and level people is very important in live poker, and Stu is saying getting leveled in live poker is really stupid.

So that all makes sense really.

Sort of I guess.

Perhaps it is simply a question of semantics. I am all for using reads and dynamics to make skilful adjustments. If this is what Patrick means by 'levelling' then I obviously agree that this is an important part of poker.

But it is the ridiculous 'he thinks that I think that he thinks that I think' nonsense that I am talking about. I have noticed that many players always seem to arrive at the conclusion that they want to arrive at when they start going down this road to madness. Opponent makes a big bet on the river and Mr Levels thinks, "he just got caught bluffing so it's always going to be for value this time. Wait... he knows that I'd think that, so it must be a bluff. No, wait... he likely knows that I know that he knows that I'd think that... so it's definitely for value. No wait... Where was I?" In the end most guys just end up making the decision that they subconsciously want to make anyway. If they want to call they justify it through levelling. If they are inclined to fold they find a justification for so doing.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »

So, had my first attempt at commentating last night on the 1/2/4(8/16/32) streamed cash game at dtd, along with Nik, PJ and Adiman. Had a great time, learnt a few things, and got a bit more of an insight into how the big boys at the club play. Any feedback on my commentary would be  massively appreciated, it's something I enjoyed and would certainly like to do again in the future.
In other news, pulled off a hideous hit and run. Played for about an hour, and in that time doubled a short stack up, then got it in with top two pair, held, and literally just as I was being awarded the pot the stream started and I left to commentate. I had told the table that I would be leaving as soon as that game started, but I did feel kinda bad. As a result, finished the day up £200 or so. MUST start graphing.

adiman999

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »

So, had my first attempt at commentating last night on the 1/2/4(8/16/32) streamed cash game at dtd, along with Nik, PJ and Adiman. Had a great time, learnt a few things, and got a bit more of an insight into how the big boys at the club play. Any feedback on my commentary would be  massively appreciated, it's something I enjoyed and would certainly like to do again in the future.
In other news, pulled off a hideous hit and run. Played for about an hour, and in that time doubled a short stack up, then got it in with top two pair, held, and literally just as I was being awarded the pot the stream started and I left to commentate. I had told the table that I would be leaving as soon as that game started, but I did feel kinda bad. As a result, finished the day up £200 or so. MUST start graphing.

yeh the commentary was enjoyable for sure, wouldnt mind having another crack at it at some point in the future Smiley

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »

Matt. Why the late return to the £150 yesterday?

The older I get, the better I was.
flushthemout

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »

Matt. Why the late return to the £150 yesterday?
Bowling Match I Believe Tom. £12k or Bowling, difficult choice, got the lot last night.

Your only on this Planet once.......... so enjoy
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »

Right, I kinda feel like my performance in the deepstack this month is due an explanation. I faced a pretty tough moral decision, and I kinda know I'm going to be judged by it for some time, and I know I'm going to face some stick from pretty much everyone for my decision.

Basically, I do quite a lot of tenpin bowling. I went mad about it a few years ago, took it very seriously, and ended up winning a bunch of stuff. One of the main reasons I chose Loughborough, aside from its proximity to DtD, was the fact that I had a few friends in the bowling club here and wanted to continue learning this game and trying to play at a higher level. I'm currently ranked in the top ten for the uni students ranking points, and play competitively a fair amount. Basically, on the uni tour calendar, there are two major events. One is the BUCS, which I'm sure many of you will know is the overall universities sports ranking points, and so is a pretty big deal both to the people playing in it and to the universities themselves. The second major event is the BUTBA cup, a knock-out competition comprising of a few rounds spread out over the season. The final of the cup was held yesterday, the same day as day 2 of the deepstack.

So, I had committed to playing for Loughborough in this competition some time before the deepstack was even announced. When I was driving home, having just bagged the second biggest stack in the tournament, I pretty much decided that I would have to honour this commitment. The tournament looked likely to finish at 2 ish, and there was a fair shout that I would be able to get away earlier than that, which would leave me able to get to dtd for half 2 at best. In my mind, I don't think I had a choice. There's money waiting to be had every day, but real friends can be damn hard to come by, and I don't think I would ever be able to hold my head up in any sort of competition knowing that I was needed for this day, and I had let my team down. Don't get me wrong, while I was there and even now, I would really have preferred to have had the full benefit of my stack and have put in a serious contention for a 12k win. But I can't put into words how shit you feel when you let people down, especially to the extent that I would have done had I not bowled.

I'm sure many people would wonder why I played in the first place, knowing that I couldn't make the start of day 2. Well, for starters I didn't think it would be a massive problem until the clock for the event changed and they pushed the start of day 2 forward, but that couldn't be avoided, but it was also a bit of an occasion. This was the first tournament where a bunch of my friends could afford to play, and to be honest, I wanted to be there with them while they played and enjoy the tournament with them. The dtd deepstack tournaments really are incredible, and I hope they keep the longer structure for the next £150, because that tournament will fast become the best value tournament in the country if it stays that way. Basically, I played the whole thing knowing I would probably be 2 hours late for day 2, so tried to build as much of a stack as possible to survive the blinding out and still be able to compete. This I achieved. Unfortunately, the bowling tournament finished some time later than I had expected, which screwed me up a little, but even so I came back to a 20bbs stack and got it in a little later with AQ into KK, and didn't bink. If I'd won that pot however, I'd have been very definitely back into contention for the win, but more importantly I was able to leave that tournament feeling like less of a dick than when I started. I figure I'd take a bunch of mates over a bunch of money. Any comments on this would definitely be appreciated.

On a side note, we did when the cup.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: