blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146608 times)
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »

Well, it's been a good few weeks from a poker standpoint. I'm back to winning ways for the most part, feeling reasonably good about my game, and generally enjoying myself at the tables a lot more. Had a couple of fun pots, all of which I've lost, over the last few days which I think are worthy of note.

First is in the last 100 d/s which ran over the weekend. In the last flight, on Saturday, I was chip leader going into the third level with about 80k from a 30k start. I pick up   UTG at 200/400, open to 1000, get called by the cut off and three bet to 2600 from the button. Our friendly neighbourhood three bettor was one of those lovely chaps who had evidently read a book which had told him to raise every button, and never fold a flop in position. I decide to make the first 4 bet the table has seen, and make it a round 6k. Cut off folds, button calls (obvs). Flop comes   . Bingo! So, we make it 8k to go, fairly confident that we aren't getting a fold. Call. Turn  , giving us the nut flush draw to go with our TPTK. We make it 15k, thinking that the decision was right here for our friend, who was playing roughly 50k to start the hand, so to call here would leave him with about 20 behind. Call. I have no idea what to make of this call, and plan to make the nuts on the river to make everything much easier. Unfortunately, this plan fails. We check, planning to call, but not really liking life right now on the  Two Clubs river. I have absolutely no idea how I should have played this hand on the river, my thinking at the time was he was going to jam absolutely anything that he continued with to this point, the lad had a MASSIVE river bet frequency, and was showing up with a lot of second pair/weak top pair hands. So, we check, he jams, we deliberate for a while and call, and win a massive pot in a standard AK to AQ semi-cooler/lose a massive pot because the guy is an insane sicko and has called the whole lot down with   three clubs. Take your pick. To help with your choice, I was out before the second break. The guy has also, to my knowledge, never cashed anything beyond a standard "bowl" comp.

Not sure why you would pick 6k as your 4bet size vs someone you don't think is folding.

Not sure why you would ever ever ever post the line that is italics. People do lurk blonde you know.

Gl in OFC, avoid Stato. Stoploss days are the worst Sad

P.S, I don't want to sound like a jerk, this is the hard thing about blogging about games, something I pretty much stopped doing, as you can tell from my sig. Someone will always get offended. Even if they don't people will pick up on things like you saying your falling asleep at the wheel Tongue
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:51:01 AM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:14 AM »

Got a question mate . Who upset u on the table ?
tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:08 AM »

Sorry to pipe up but feel I need to step in.

I think this "standard bowl comps" line is massively OOL, pretty sure before the deepstack you were bowling around with the rest of us in the XXL, we can't all bink 22k scores and not all of us play tournaments anyway, hendon mob isn't a measure of skill level although I agree it's the standard go-to. Plenty of +EV players in that field will have shocking hendon mobs due to tournaments not being logged or them being predominately cash players or having to skip multiple day tournaments due to work commitments.

Regardless of how terrible the guy was I think it's a pretty shocking like to post on a public forum when the title of your blog mentions pub poker which isn't exactly played to the highest standard, when you first arrived at dtd imagine if people jumped on you saying "Look at this guy, he probably plays shitty pub poker, gtfo"

Not personally attacking you mate as I've said some pretty OOL things in the past myself, I just think you should take a little more care in what you post on your own public space.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »

Sorry to pipe up but feel I need to step in.

I think this "standard bowl comps" line is massively OOL, pretty sure before the deepstack you were bowling around with the rest of us in the XXL, we can't all bink 22k scores and not all of us play tournaments anyway, hendon mob isn't a measure of skill level although I agree it's the standard go-to. Plenty of +EV players in that field will have shocking hendon mobs due to tournaments not being logged or them being predominately cash players or having to skip multiple day tournaments due to work commitments.

Regardless of how terrible the guy was I think it's a pretty shocking like to post on a public forum when the title of your blog mentions pub poker which isn't exactly played to the highest standard, when you first arrived at dtd imagine if people jumped on you saying "Look at this guy, he probably plays shitty pub poker, gtfo"

Not personally attacking you mate as I've said some pretty OOL things in the past myself, I just think you should take a little more care in what you post on your own public space.

Awks

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2013, 02:50:00 AM »

Agree that those sorts of comments are out of line, sorry people. Need to think a little more before posting, was a very bad way of illustrating my point.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »

Do you have any more stories involving you owning Alex in the past? Cheesy
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »

Do you have any more stories involving you owning Alex in the past? Cheesy

Nice rubs !!
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

I also managed to guilt buy a whole bunch of stuff, like banana's and carrots and a whole bunch of stuff that I am never really going to eat, only once making eye contact with the cashier when the carrots went through. The look she gave me, at 6 in the morning, spoke volumes. "We both know you aren't going to eat that. Don't try and fool me. I've been working the early shift for long enough to know a whore when I see one." Needless to say, my head went back down very quickly.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »

Just wanna assure everyone that if and when I do post something ool/stupid, I will get the piss taken outta me for a good few weeks, so im always gonna know I've said something I shouldn't.

And Fred, I will make sure to mention every owning of Alex that happens from here onwards Smiley

FredW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »

Also, what are your thoughts on the  hand in regards to reverse implied odds vs regs OOP?
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »

Also, what are your thoughts on the  hand in regards to reverse implied odds vs regs OOP?

Damn, I knew this was coming...

I thought reverse implied odds were for people that couldn't play after the flop? I was actually check folding the river, but I expected you to check back a reasonable amount too. I was also planning on making two pair if I wasn't sure of what to do, and that plan worked as well as I could hope.

Should perhaps ask Neil how he feels about peeling three bets with easily dominated hands too :p

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »

Would like to add my opinion, and readers please bear in mind that i am a close friend of Matt, so you might think this is biased towards him, however, these are my views generally.
Whats the point of having a blog if your not supposed to voice what you really think. It isnt general forum as such, and it is entitled a blog, which is designed so people can say what they think. Id love to go through all the other blogs on here and pick out some things people have said about others that would be far worse than anything Matt has said, however i have half a life to lead. Also seems like some of the comments on here would never be posted on other of the blogs, just seems to me that as matt isnt as an established reg that hes more of an easy target, just seems like theres a lot of selective posting on here. He called it a bowl comp, jeeez, maybe we should chop his chip shuffling finger off?
Not sure hes got a lot to apologize for, he had a go at a guy for an awful play, and wasnt personal really, and if he cant voice his thoughts like that on his own blog, then maybe he should shut it up like other ones have recently. If thats the way its going to be and they all go then alot of people would literally have nothing to do with their lives.
Please feel free to give me as much stick back. I guess overall, i think that constructive criticism is fine, but just having a go? meehhh my advice to those guys would be that that their comments should be 'tight4better'.

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Hernit
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:27 PM »

I agree with Verndog. He knows what hes doing as well, rumour has it he once mincashed the sunday million.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »

I agree with Verndog. He knows what hes doing as well, rumour has it he once mincashed the sunday million.

YES DAVE Cheesy

As a proper reply though, I think people forget that I ground these small comps pretty much for a living for quite a long time, back when there was no guarantee of a cash game running every night so the comp was often all there was. I also still play all the pub poker I can get to, and have so so so much time for what they have done for poker in this country. It's crazy that now, people can walk down the street and find a live poker game for £5, something which would have been laughable only a few years ago. This has done absolute wonders for the stigma around the game in this country, and is giving people an avenue to enter the game that we love. I think people would agree that, for the most part, poker is becoming something which is not linked solely to drugs and debts and seedy underground bars, and it is largely because of this.

I'm never going to think of myself as being "above" this sort of comp, because I don't think I really ever will be. 

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Not sure hes got a lot to apologize for, he had a go at a guy for an awful play.

This.

Let's stamp out awful play once and for all.

With a little effort, we could soon have all our opponents playing excellent poker  Tongue

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: