blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146585 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

I heard Matt Harris once won an online tournament by using the chat box only.

Actually, I did once secure a chop in a 2/7 tournament using the chatbox, so I suppose that could be considered a chatbox win?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »

Poker

A somewhat bleurgh period continues. I'm going to continue the trend of the nottingham diarist/grinders by saying that I'm a little under it right now, poker wise. Living expenses have shot up, and having 22 on Q2Q44 doesn't normally bode well for ones bankroll. Been making day twos for fun, but failing to capitalise on these runs through a combination of playing like a dick and not having that crucial hand hold up at the vital time.

I have now, properly, returned to playing online poker. After a session with Lil Dave, I realised that not only was I rubbish at PLO, but also that I don't ever want to get to his level, because then I'll spend an awful lot of time wondering if he can see my cards/has solved the game. He did that thing that Stu does every time he speaks, and blew my mind. Being rubbish, I decided that I'm going to give PLO a real shot, and make it one of my goals in life to one day get my ass kicked by him in a 5/10 game.

I've also come back to sky poker. I played a couple of their bounty hunter mtts for the first time, and I gotta say, I think they've done a fantastic job with them. I like the fact that they're mostly 6max, I like the guaruntees and the field sizes, I'm even beginning to get used to the software. I've been playing like a total fucking maniac for the last few days on these tournaments and have managed a couple of decent runs, with the occasional butchered hand along the way. I think more than anything I'm starting to feel comfortable at the virtual tables, a notion which seems very strange to me. Undoubtedly, I will soon go back to losing every pot because the bastards can see me hole cards, and its rigged, and people have huds which tell them that I'm a maniac and normally have bad hands when I post the blinds. O well, better enjoy it while it lasts.

Actual Real Life

It's my birthday soon, and to celebrate my family organised a meal for me and a few of the members of my rather extended family. We went to my favourite resturaunt ever (apart from Frankie's chippy), an Indian called Omar's. Very small, kinda strange place, but the food and the atmosphere in the place is truly outstanding. All in all, I had a very good time, got very drunk, and recieved a very cool cake. This will be coming with me to Dusk Till Dawn on the 21st for the grand head shave (DONATE PLS) and will be shared out among everyone who turns up on the day. Well, as many as we can.

To be honest, the real reason for taking this weekend off was for Alex. You know, the poor guy hasnt had any semblance of a heater for 4/5 months, and he's a little bit under it live tournament wise. This bad run coincided with my entrance to the Nottingham poker scene, so I can only summise that it's my fault. I figured I'd take a weekend off, give the guy a chance at winning something again, and by jove did it work. Needless to say, I have PM'd him my bank details, expecting a small % of pity tax.

That's all for now, folks!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:51:18 PM by Rexas » Logged

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

After a session with Lil Dave

I was on huge downswing then did our session and have won every day since Smiley

Perhaps you're a PLO run-good, bodes well for you if that's the case !

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

After a session with Lil Dave

I was on huge downswing then did our session and have won every day since Smiley

Perhaps you're a PLO run-good, bodes well for you if that's the case !

I've had a couple of sessions on sky since then and I've won 4/5, so this may be true!

Genuine question though Dave, have you found that doing this coaching has made you have a deeper look at the theory behind what your teaching and your own reasoning? There were times when you said "I'd prolly call this if you weren't here", so do you feel like you've... idk, maybe learnt from yourself?

I've passed the first level of the bowling coaching qualifications recently, and have been getting pretty involved in coaching the uni team, and loving it to bits. Not only is it fantastic to see the improvement that people make, their enthusiasm and their willingless to learn and ask for advice, but I feel like I've taken a good long look at my own game as a result. The problem I have with my bowling is that I will never be as good as I could have been. I started late, and have taken long periods off due to university. When I was still at secondary school, for the better part of three years I bowled nearly every day, and would like to think that I got pretty good. Now I'm at uni, I bowl once a week, and take months off at a time. Simple adjustments that used to take me a shot or two to make now take a couple of games. My experiences coaching people recently have made me take a long, hard look at my own game and the faults that have developed in it that I previously couldn't see, and while my physical game will probably never be what it was, my understanding of it has increased to no end. I feel like I'm learning from everyone that I am coaching, the other coaches, and myself. Feels good Smiley

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »

typical rexas blog post... bowl this... and bowl that...  stirthepot

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »

Please remove that pot from my blog, it smells bad. I'm not sure what's in it, but i think we can all guess Wink

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 14, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: November 14, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

When was your last bowl comp?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 14, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »

There is actually a story behind this gif, if you will indulge me, that explains why this is not actually an epic fail, rather a combination of bad luck and good hands.

First of all, what basically happens here is that the guy (Josh Blanchard, former rookie of the year) gets his thumb stuck in his bowling ball. This actually happens quite a lot, as a very important part of being able to maintain a proper arm swing is not being worried about the ball falling off at the back, and an important part of a good release is a tight fit, so you are not actually gripping the ball at any point. Josh was forced to drill a new ball before this TV tournament, his first TV finals appearance, due to a rule preventing the showing of certain sponsorships (I believe he was using a ball bearing his college logo). He wasn't aware of this rule, so had to get it sorted at the last minute, potentially leading to a rushed fitting. This, coupled with the fact that he would have been very nervous and hence a little sweaty, is what lead to the ball sticking on his thumb.

Now for the reason for falling in the gutter - The rules of the sport dictate that if the ball leaves your hand and a part of your body touches the lane (past the foul line), then your shot will be declared a foul shot. This means that the pins will get reset and your first shot of that frame will count as 0. As such, it was paramount that Josh did not let go of the ball. This meant having to step onto the lane, which is heavily oiled, so as not to fall on his face (the momentum generated by swinging a bowling ball with the proper timing is considerable). Obviously, oil is pretty slippery, so he ended up on his ass in the gutter with a ruined shoe and a bunch of people laughing at him. In reality, he did very well to hold on to the ball and not do himself a serious injury. Kinda gotta feel sorry for the lad :p

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

When was your last bowl comp?

Few weeks ago, in nottingham funnily enough. I was pretty terrible :p

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 14, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »

How many 300's have you thrown?
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

None, the closest I've come is the first 8 in a row, and I've had that a fair few times. 279 is my best score, which is all strikes aside from one 9/.

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »

Bastard, mines 269!!!!!
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

Please remove that pot from my blog, it smells bad. I'm not sure what's in it, but i think we can all guess Wink

tomsom28 am i mistaken? its not a pot is it? looks more like a....

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 14, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »

this made me chuckle, hes certainly done pretty sh!t in the 300s hes been playing, where he has chips to throw away and not a bowling ball. i thought you were referring to these!! Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: