blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  From a generic Degree to a leading Poker Practitioner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From a generic Degree to a leading Poker Practitioner  (Read 72274 times)
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:27 AM »

Hey mate,

Just new to the forum, just checked out the 1st page of your blog, i'll check the rest out later.

How's it going did you manage to get a job sorted?

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »

Hey mate,

Just new to the forum, just checked out the 1st page of your blog, i'll check the rest out later.

How's it going did you manage to get a job sorted?

Hey man, thanks for the read.

Nope, hence the unemployment at the moment. Still actively looking for work but have been getting a little demoralised regarding finding the perfect job in the poker industry, it was always going to be much tougher than I originally thought.

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »

Been grinding the past few days online and have been losing a fair bit on stars. Feel like I'm playing really well at the moment, which I suppose is the most important thing.

In other news, managed to (somehow) bink the Blue Blood League! On the last game of the night I needed to win and have about 4 other players to not finish any higher than 5th. Sure enough I run good, eliminate the right people and take it all. Literally over the moon to win after finding 2nd place in the previous league. This means I win a £1k GUKPT Seat, will only be my 2nd ever £1k event. Really want to get playing more live Grosvenor tournaments as I haven't had much of a run at them.

This will start with the 25/25 series in Bolton in 2 weeks or so. Heard a lot of good things about the event, this being my first one as well as the first time playing in Bolton (not sure if that's a positive or negative).

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »

Keep looking bud.

Did you ever think about trying to find a job in a poker context, not necessarily marketing, that could lead onto something bigger, if you wanted to pursue a career in the poker industry.

I know someone else said there wouldn't be much scope for marketing within poker, i guess it is quite a niche market.

Getting a job within poker would atleast be a start.

Have you tried approaching some of the big poker sites? Or using contacts you have, i guess your well known if you play a lot live.

Good luck with it anyway, and playing too!
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »

Keep looking bud.

Did you ever think about trying to find a job in a poker context, not necessarily marketing, that could lead onto something bigger, if you wanted to pursue a career in the poker industry.

I know someone else said there wouldn't be much scope for marketing within poker, i guess it is quite a niche market.

Getting a job within poker would atleast be a start.

Have you tried approaching some of the big poker sites? Or using contacts you have, i guess your well known if you play a lot live.

Good luck with it anyway, and playing too!

When I initially graduated (probs about 5 months ago) I tried to message as many people as I could who might have the right links for me, wasn't able to find anything.

Think it's worth having another look for jobs as hadn't realised how quickly time had passed since graduating, may be a little more out there for me. Tbh when I play live if I'm at a table for a long time someone may start making convo, ask if I'm still looking, the may know something for me and am able to job hunt that way as well.

Approached big sites but alot of them seem to need the potential employee to work from overseas (Guernsey, Isle of Man, those sort of places) so I guess I'm a little stuck in regards to that.

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »

The Big $11... Could we do it again?

Was grinding online as I have been the majority of days, Took a considerable downswing based on the fact that I'm only really playing buyins of <$25.

Put a decent dent in it however in the $21 KO, finishing 4th for about 8 hundo, which was good but a little annoying (as standard). However there was one last tourney left in me...

The Big $11. Was pretty unfortunate to have a sicko to my immediate left but was firing through the rankings. At about 2am I was 4/42 then suddenly my wifi drops. I've been having a few problems with Plusnet recently as previously stated, but this time it was worse. There was no way of me being able to restart it and logging in, although spent a good 20 minutes sat out trying various different methods. At this point I was really tilted, I don't have an iPhone (sigh) so had to wake my parents up to ask to borrow theirs so I could download Stars, grind on there until I found out an alternative.

God bless BT Wifi hotspots. for £6 I managed to log on for 24 hours (let me never complain about the prices of such services again). I had lost about 15% of my stack but it's fine as I manage to get there with AQ>KK, and get back to where I was as well as adding the occasional hand like this...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/6011870_CEA8490007

Probs should have folded the turn but yolo, can stick it in his eye on ideal river cards such as this where we have to have it 100% of the time due to the lack of fold equity.

10 left and I was abso cruising. Had a really nitty table that allowed me to run them over. Sure enough that stops where I lose AA<44 in a 3bet pot on 942 and we get it in.

This puts me down to about 15 bigs but manage to grind it back up to 30 and with 8 left, life looked good, or at least it did until AA<T9 on a TT9 board where the man has 20 bigs and we are just never escaping ever. This followed by an 8big jam with KJ<AK, leaving me with 1bb, leaving me busto in 8th for $1k. Realllly frustrating to run so bad on final table but can't really complain based on recent results. At least it gets me out of the monthly hole.

Shout out to JKay and Chrissy Verns for the rail. All started where JKay asks how I close the Big $11 with no idea that I was running deep in anything, just happened to be cruising in that exact tourney!

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »

The Big $11... Could we do it again?

Shout out to JKay and Chrissy Verns for the rail. All started where JKay asks how I close the Big $11 with no idea that I was running deep in anything, just happened to be cruising in that exact tourney!

pleasure, my binking rate from the rail is becoming something else. thats like 33k this year now Wink dont think i was up to watch you whaling around, certain cricket match down under that had my attention! sick run though, ahhh dem aces eh?!

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »

who finals the big11 twice in 2 months?! You animal.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:36 PM »

Grind it real gooood

Really enjoyed grinding the past 2 months. Not sure why but never really been in this mind frame where I'm itching to play every single day of the week. Don't think I'd have that motivation if I wasn't able to run through my spots with someone, discussing lines and such.

Managed to finish 22nd in the Micromills $5.50 6max tonight for $240. Pretty annoying as it always is, but no biggy. Picked out a couple of pots where I played pretty poorly, always frustrating to know you may have found a deeper run if you played just that little bit better, especially in such a soft field.

Missing it tomorrow as I finally have a social event to attend to outside of poker (long time coming) but will no doubt be whooping and cheering come sunday afternoon, then crying in a cold shower by sunday evening.

tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »

You're the absolute best.
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »

You're the absolute best.

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »

Standard Sundays

I swear Sundays always follow the same routine. There are four specific stages that every single Sunday must follow:

Stage 1 - The Hype

The day always starts so nicely. You are busy regging for a long day, and see all of the extra tournaments available. Surely one of them will result in a deep run. I have high morale, big dreams and most of all a determination to turn it into a winning day.

Stage 2 - The Run Bad

It starts off OK. "well we lost that one, plenty more to come. Oh another cooler, no biggy, lets gogogogo. Oh he has Aces again, marv...". Yesterday I seemed to be getting coolered everywhere. KK<AA 5 times in total, as well as the odd QQ<KK and AK<KK. Reaaaaally frustrating to run bad on the day that every man and his dog is having a punt at the Sunday tournaments on Stars. I know there are weak spots everywhere but can't seem to find them.

Stage 3 - The Dream

I've ran bad in absolutely everything with morale at an all time low, and frankly look forward to getting Sunday out the way and busting the 3 remaining tables left on my monitor. There's one, yep there's another. But then there is always one tournament where we have a hope, something could happen. Sunday has done this to me far too many times. But this time it's going to happen. 200 left of the Sunday Storm, chunks up top. Maybe we can get there and convert. People still 3x'ing pre UTG then have to call off with A5os when a shorty rejams. This is an absolute dream, we can make this. Oh... wait... Nope. Out in 133rd. Hopes and dreams have been crushed, just like last Sunday, the one before that and the one before that, just when we thought we could crack this Sunday malarkey. But it's a deep run, time to check how much profit we've made on the day...

Stage 4 - The Rubs

As you check your pokerstars account balance you have completely forgot about how many tournaments you registered before. The schedule in your mind seems to have merged with your midweek schedule, which is at about half the price of buy-ins. This makes you realise why you have made a $5 loss on the day. Another losing Sunday. There's always next week...

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

Running good in all aspects!

Wanted to post earlier, but I couldn't really post without mentioning a potential job that I was looking at during the team incase the role got hijacked or I managed to bok myself.

I've managed to secure a one month trial within a poker based company! Reaaaaally hyped for this. It has been agreed that if I meet my first months goals then it could be extended to a two month trial, which in turn could be extended to a full time job if I am able to tick the right boxes. Don't really want to be exposing too much right now, but my work will focus on boosting social media attention for the company, a role I really enjoyed whilst I was working for Dusk Till Dawn. I expect to start this by the end of the week, possibly Monday, at which point I will post further details.

Bolton 25/25

As mentioned previously, played Bolton 25/25. I both played and ran pretty bad, trying to stick it in a lot of players eyes with little to no success as I discovered I was going to keep getting stationed. I did however make antes, oioiiii! Was a really fun tournament and it was clear there were plenty of satellite winners who wouldn't usually punt £220 into a poker tournament, lots of excitement and I will surely be playing more of these as Grosvenor expand it into the Midlands.

The Sunday Grind - I made a profit!

I didn't fancy playing on Sunday, especially after a poor performance on Saturday where I potentially felt like I had been playing far too much having grinded probably 13/14 days. However being home with nothing else to do as the girlfriend slept, I couldn't help but flick it in. The hand below sums up why I feel this way:

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/6194495_6666ACA37F

I managed run pretty incred early on, think I probably won about 13/15 flips across various tournaments. Made multiple cashes only to bust in the last 100 in a few tournaments, looking like a break even day unless I could make haste in the $5 2r1a. Managed to cruise to the final table finding hands in beautiful spots due to the final 2 tables being full of sickos, 3/4 betting a tonne of spots. Eventually it played down to 4, where we agreed to look at the figures. I don't usually make deals but pretty much every open was being 3bet with players rotating turns to do so, based on lifetime profit I was 3/4 with all being profitable. Eventually made a deal for $1.8k a piece, meaning a $2k profit on the day! Loooovely end to the week.

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

Confirmed Job!

I can now confirm the trial job for those intrigued...

I will be working for Poker Player Magazine on a one/two month trial, improving their current social media and boosting follows/likes. This includes the use of prize giveaways and such as I hope to create discussion on these pages. If there is decent progress after the first month I will be extended to a two month trial, if I am still able to impress at the end of this period there may potentially be a full time job available for me.

Really hyped as this is a definite foot in the door with a company that I'm a big fan of, so fingers crossed I impress and eventually find a secure job.

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »

congrats n ting
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: