blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things I wish I knew
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I wish I knew  (Read 110850 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 27, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »

Keith its same when you use the pay at pump petrol they take the money off you to ensure you have it available

But a regular petrol station they don't.

You fill up with petrol, then go and pay for it.

That's how it should work.

I just about accept leaving enough money to cover your bill - but to reserve money on the off chance you decide to spend some in the hotel is unacceptable.

pay at the pump is the only option most of the time after 8pm they take £100 off your card then take £60 for the tank of feul and give you the £100 back a week later

It depends on the type of card you are using, I think Solo debit cards suffer from this.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »

Keith - yes, you do have to leave a refundable deposit when you hire a car.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »

Why is it impossible to go to an all you can eat buffet and just eat normal amounts of food?

And why do combos like English breakfast followed by pizza and then  French toast and cream seem natural fits at the time.

Think a study into mindset when eating in buffets would be v interesting

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 27, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

Keith its same when you use the pay at pump petrol they take the money off you to ensure you have it available

I just about accept leaving enough money to cover your bill - but to reserve money on the off chance you decide to spend some in the hotel is unacceptable.

It is an interesting, and positive element, of British culture that this is the way it works.  In the States you have to pay before you pump and the pumps won't work if you haven't paid.  It is the same in Jamaica.  I had a discussion with a Jamaican girl I was giving a ride home to about this the other night and I mentioned the way it worked in the UK.  She looked at me initially as though I was lying or crazy.  Then she said they could never do that here because simply nobody would pay.  Sometimes we take just how civilised and polite Britain is and just how lucky we are/were.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »

Why is it impossible to go to an all you can eat buffet and just eat normal amounts of food?

I do eat normal amounts, it's just that I normally eat as much as there is available.

That's not as flippant an answer as it may sound BTW. When we were kids we ate everything my mam put in front of us. There was virtually no need to wash our plates.

I guess old habits die hard.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »

I know what you mean Tom, was brought up on a waste not want not mentality too which prob explains my approach to buffets. It's like I think it's a challenge to make sure I don't waste the value instead of just eating a meal.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 28, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Why when you stay at a hotel, do they take reserve money on your credit card for "incidentals"?

You don't have to give your credit card up when you walk into a shop just in case you buy something.

Also, when they reserve money on your cc, when you don't spend the money they hope you do, why doesn't it return to your available balance immediately?

It's been 4 days since I left the hotel, and it still hasn't come back.

Now been a fucking week, still not returned.

Steam pouring out of my ears!

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 28, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

I didn't realise they actually charge you prior to you making a purchase.  I assumed they just record your card details and charge it if necessary.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »

pay at the pump is the only option most of the time after 8pm they take £100 off your card then take £60 for the tank of feul and give you the £100 back a week later

It depends on the type of card you are using, I think Solo debit cards suffer from this.

Definitely never happened to me on my credit or debit cards.  They only take the amount from my account that I took in fuel.  The £99 or whatever that comes up on the machine as the maximum is simply that, and it stops dispensing at that amount. 

Could definitely be different with Solo cards, as they are considered very different beasts to standard debit cards (and of course credit cards).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

I use a mastercard debit they take £100 then take tge amount of fuel I use then return the £100 a week later thats asda anyway.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 28, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »

I use a mastercard debit they take £100 then take tge amount of fuel I use then return the £100 a week later thats asda anyway.

So if you fill up for, say 60 quid, then your account is out 160 quid for 4-5 days?  That seems absolutely ridiculous if true.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »

So if you fill up for, say 60 quid, then your account is out 160 quid for 4-5 days?  That seems absolutely ridiculous if true.

This.

I know that in Vegas you get a 'hold' placed on your card, and it normally stays on there for a week or so from leaving.

I can't say that I've ever heard of anywhere that charges you to use the pumps, then adds the cost of fuel to the total, and gives you the initial fee back a while later Cheesy

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »

happened too me a few months back refuse too fill up at pay at the pump anymore
they call it a shadow payment it seemingly doesnt leave your account but you cant use the money

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »

When I've payed at the pump they only held £1 to validate the card and then the amount for the fuel. The £1 gets refunded a week later.

Ah! The element of surprise
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »

When staying at the monte carlo bay hotel they asked for a credit card, i was felling arsey so i said i didn't have one. You'd have thought the world was caving in with the amount of kerfuffle off the back of it. I was pointing out that it was only a couple of years before that the credit card scan didn't even exist as a thing, but they weren't having it. They asked the guy behind me at the desk if they could scan his card against my room!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: