blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  A brave new world
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A brave new world  (Read 8467 times)
resdes

75offsuit, the nuts!

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:40:42 AM »

Ok people, a little about me, I'm 34 year old bloke who has been playing poker for the last 6 years ish, the last 2 semi seriously. I live with my girlfriend (who also plays   ) and our 3 dogs, our life is about to change drastically as we have twins due late June or early July.

Traditionally I have played MTTs with the odd SNG and spewed around on cash. As an MTT player I'm a marginal winning player but I'd class myself as break even across all sites I have ever played when factoring SNG. Given that I am not going to have time to play MTTs in a few months I have decided to focus on my cash game and really improve.

Below are graphs from my HM2 as to where my cash game is up to on both Pokerstars and PKR which is where I have played so far. Graphs are the total number of cash games I have ever played!

PKR

Click to see full-size image.

and by stakes

Stars

and by stakes

As you can see I don't really have a cash game and I've never really put any volume in, what I am confident about though is that with some work and volume I think I can be a winning recreational player.

So in order to make the leap into cash a bit easier I have stopped playing anywhere near as much volume on MTTs and intend to spend the rest of April studying various different coaching videos and working on how I need to improve my game. I plan to start May with a list of 8 areas that I want to focus on whilst playing and really focus on 2 of these per session. I'm aiming to try and play 10k hands in May but will only be 2 or 4 tabling in order to focus on improving my game rather than grind the volume so I may review the target of 10k hands.

If anyone has any good pointers for video series I'd welcome suggestions to add to my list, also if there are any books worth reading.

Cheers all
Rob

PS if anyone wants to follow me on twitter it's http://twitter.com/resdes_poker
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:59:29 PM by resdes » Logged

Follow my poker story on Blonde

and/or

Follow me on Twitter for all my useless babble!
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »

Welcome to Blonde sir, congratulations on the little ones and best of luck with the pokerz!

There are a lot of very good and very experienced players on here (not me yet) but what I have learned is that with an open mind and if you can listen (sadly, my problem) they will discuss, explain and even ask you things you never even thought about with regards to poker.

I'm John, nice to meetcha!

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »

In on page 1 and subscribed

Welcome Rob

I assume you are Rob Heywood who won the deepstack in March and finished 14th last weekend if so huge Grats (guessing as I watched you as Resdes in the online legs)!!

If you dont mind a couple of questions

Do you play full time?
How did you get started in Poker?
How is having twins going to affect the pokerzz?

Cheers

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »

Twins - wow, congrats.  Double the fun.

We are not too dissimilar in age (I'm 36) family status (I have a 16 month old boy and 15 yr old step-daughter) and background and approach to poker.  I can recommend Nick Wealthall's Breakthrough Poker Caoching.

GL.  Will follow.
resdes

75offsuit, the nuts!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm certainly planning on posting some HH within the strategy sections and posting my own comments on others, feel at the moment I need to improve my knowledge before offering advice though else I'll probably turn winning players into losing players lol

I'll certainly look into Nick Wealthall's coaching, have you had personal experience of it or know people who have VBlue?

Hey Eso Kral, I know that name already!!

To answer your questions, yeah that's me, I use resdes at most places so if you see one or a variation of it's probably me!

I don't play full time as I work shifts as a civi servant. I would class myself as a recreational player who loves the game and wants to improve.

How did I get into poker? No idea lol think I just saw an advert somewhere, had some time to kill and the rest is history as they say. I truly have no idea were resdes came from but I kinda stuck with it.

Poker and twins, I really can't see them getting on that well! It's the main reason I want to play cash (and improve my game) as I can sit out/leave the table as and when I need to unlike in MTTs or SNGs where I'm going to be losing loads of value by missing so many orbits.

and/or

VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »

First-hand experience.  Would be happy to talk more about it off-thread if you like?  FB/skype - will PM my details.

I had to curb the poker for the early months, but once the boy got into a good sleeping routine I get 6:30pm onwards to do as I like 4-5 nights per week.  Perfect for MTTs.

Any ideas for names yet (mumsnet question alert)?
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

Whenever I see this thread title I can't help but sing:

Change diary title to match plz. Smiley

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »

as opposed to this?

one of the finest books ever written
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

Tap in for this......

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »

love this version...

resdes

75offsuit, the nuts!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

meh, I just thought my title rocked!!! Out of them all I definately prefer Richard Ashcroft, never heard of the book before but think I might have to read it after finding out this bit:

Chapter 18, in which John isolates himself in a lighthouse and punishes himself; it ends with an orgy and his suicide.

VBlue I emailed you my skype - can't do PMs yet!

and/or

resdes

75offsuit, the nuts!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

Welcome to blonde Smiley

Just a couple of questions...
What stakes will you be playing on stars? Not sure yet, depends on my roll size come May. More than likely start at 25nl but will let people know.
And do you play 6-max or full ring cash? Smiley  Deffo 6 max, hate full ring so 

and/or

polaroid83

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »

good luck with the diary my friend. pokerstars is the hardest site to play cash on without a doubt. they have the best 100bb players on there imo. good luck with playing 6max cash on there, I play fr as I find it hard to play more than 12 tables of 6max at once. and yet another diary I will be reading. glglgl
resdes

75offsuit, the nuts!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »

Had a strange thing happen yesterday, I actually won an MTT on stars with more than 180 runners  Wasn't a biggie, was only playing as a screen filler, but pretty chuffed!

Playing the Monte Carlo tonight and hopefully this weekend, back to the cash studies after that.

and/or

pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »

Hypers or turbos are screen fillers Smiley Deepstack is a sentence.

Grats on the win  thumbs up

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: