blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:21:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Book Review: The Mental Game of Poker 2: Jared Tendler and Barry Carter
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book Review: The Mental Game of Poker 2: Jared Tendler and Barry Carter  (Read 7862 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »

Back in April 2011, I wrote a review of the first "The Mental Game of Poker" book here

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=52878.0

Out now "The Mental Game of Poker 2", and here's my review Barry's review for Amazon

Looking back at the first review, I was as much in uncharted territory as many poker players in considering The Mental Game of Poker and of course time has moved on since. Our awareness of the issues contained in the first book have been transformed by its success. On here, we saw it in practice with the audio interview done with Rupinder Bedi. Try watching Rupinder at a big live event now, which I do in the line of work frequently. More chance of seeing him do a double axel with triple sulco across the felt than there is him tilting. I think I even saw him smile shyly when outdrawn in a big pot a fortnight ago.

The second book takes us to the next stage. As Jared Tendler says, the first book covered "the back end" of the Mental side of poker addressing issues like tilt, and confidence. This book is concerns what he describes as the "Front End" and looks at issues such as focus when playing, and discipline. No doubt the lack of these is a common problem for many of us, and the aim of the book is to help us improve in these areas and thus improve the player's edge from being in "the zone". We hear constantly that the "games are getting tougher" and therefore the whole approach is a logical one: In these tougher games, the more often you can be at a mental peak, the greater the advantage you have.

There's an important difference in the two books beyond this though. When I looked at the first book, I jumped around, taking sections at random as and when I required, and it worked as a series of self-contained chapters, and thus became "bite-sized" for the reader.

This is different though, and a more complex challenge I thought. I took the same approach as before, and soon found myself muddled. Instead, its best read sequentially I found. It can be read without reading the first book, I felt, though the key principles of the first are outlined in an Appendix of the second. The issues here are somewhat more subtle than the very overt problems people suffer with in respect of the areas of the first book such as Tilt, which we can see in ourselves and all around us whether playing live or online.

Over and above the theories, it is examples of putting Tendler's principles in action that make the book. It wouldn't be what it is without case studies, decribed here as "Clients Stories" where even if you don't know the player there are practical applications from various spheres of poker to bring it to life. To give an illustration, there are two of these in Chapter 2 alone, One looking at a Omaha Player, the other a HUSNG player.

In addtion we are treated to "Barry's Takes". Barry Carter I imagine as a "poker player everyman" on Tendler's shoulder, tapping the side of Jared's cranium when something needs explaining, or put into layman's terms, often drawing parallels with sports and professions outside poker to illustrate the point though the Take on "Fixing a leak" was frankly misleading, as it does not refer to Barry's legendary DIY skills.

Finally, the links to Tendler's worksheets (I won't put the link on here, its in the book) which can be downloaded for free to help break down your own situation and track progress.

All of these combined, the client's stories, Barry's take and the worksheets, are what elevates a book of theory into a book of practice.

So who is the book suitable for? Well much as the first, if you are keen on poker and specifically keen on improving beyond merely honing strategies, this is for you. Recreational, professional or somewhere in between, I think you'll benefit. I'll just take one area, the Chapter on "Grinding". I know we have lots of grinders on here, putting the hours in across many tables. Sub-sections on Mental Endurance, rest and recovery, extreme grinding and sample schedules for how to optimise the grind are must-reads. Loads of tips that will help make those long hours more effective.

Richard Prew
April 2013

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

Using the code Blonde, the book can be ordered via www.jaredtendlerpoker.com with a 10% discount but only after the 23rd as there is a pre-order offer on currently

If you do order using the code "Blonde", blonde poker will benefit too

Barry has kindly offered a couple of copies as prizes to members

Will tie a competition in to win those at the Monte Carlo live update later this week, so watch out for that.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »

Live Update competition

Win a copy of...

see http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=60889.msg1757852#msg1757852

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »

The two winners of the books in the Live Update competition were

ripple11 501
Pokerfan 502

Correct answer was 504

Will be in touch for addresses, fellas...

My eyes are open wide
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

Cheers!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

Ripple & Pokerfan - just PM me your address and I'll do the rest
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »

Both addresses recieved, will ship today/tomorrow
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »

Thanks Barry.

Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »

Just ordered a copy via housemates paypal. Pretty excited so sad ;-)

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

Just landed on the mat, thanks again.

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

Rub it in why don't you.  Smiley

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

Cheesy

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

Where did you buy yours from? I'll check on its status if you PM me your order deets
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

Where did you buy yours from? I'll check on its status if you PM me your order deets
Sent you a PM like I stated though no worries on the delivery the only way it would be here by now is if you drove down
from Sheffield with it. Excited is not the word.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: