blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272718 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....  (Read 9624 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »

Can't claim to understand it

In a minor way I had it yesterday

There was an issue so on a (seems to be unmoderated) forum I get the line

"You are such an incompetent twat"

Fair comment aside, I sort out the issue over 6-7 PMs, various emails

In PMs

"thank you so very very much for sorting this"

and nothing to withdraw the comment he made in public, which is still there....

Internetz is confusing, but not as confusing as people.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »

these look like they were typed with people's feet..

Strange you should say that....

!

I have a video about that.

If I were really brave, I would Upload it.

You know that this was a prompt....

The older I get, the better I was.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Happened to me too just shocking. Mostly seems to happen in small feeder comps, does anyone get this kind of abuse at higher stakes?

VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »

There are loads of bigoted, unintelligent, moronic, people out there.  The internet allows them to indulge themselves to the full.

My crack is far too high-brow for most of them. Occasionally, I fire the odd comment if inclined but it is far better than any of these low-level insult exchanges.  Mostly, I ignore and don't bother to look at the chat.

It bothers me not online.  Live, when tired, the odd bit of needle can get a rise from me, but I will work to eradicate that.

Don't forget that idiots, are idiots, are idiots - playing poker, in online forum discussion, chanting at a football match, talking in a pub.  In poker it can be a great weakness to spot and sometimes it pays to exploit it - part of the game for me.

I can see how it does affect people though and the point about it being damaging for the poker environment online I am sure has some merit.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Have you ever met anyone in live poker, or just plain real life, say that to you?

Guess it is all a part of the keyboard warrior thing.

Plus, thankfully, none of them have ever, presumably, seen real life tragedies, be it cancer, death, mental illness, at close hand, or to their own family, or themself.

If you are on Twitter, & follow poker players, you see the "Live" version, when they Tweet from a Live Poker Table. "The retarded moron next to me is SO bad".

Meanwhile, sat at the table, he is presumably not saying the same things.....

I haven't no, I'd be doing an Audley Harrison on there ass if they did.

I think it's two different things to berate a player for being terrible just for the sake of it, which is ofc beyond stupid, compared to you moaning about a villain that played a hand terribly and got lucky and bust you which is understandably pretty frustrating, but all part of the game.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

Mind boggles.

Happened to me too just shocking. Mostly seems to happen in small feeder comps, does anyone get this kind of abuse at higher stakes?

Good question. I don't play higher stakes, but my gut reaction would be no, not so much, because, I assume, they understand poker better.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »

There are loads of bigoted, unintelligent, moronic, people out there.  The internet allows them to indulge themselves to the full.

My crack is far too high-brow for most of them. Occasionally, I fire the odd comment if inclined but it is far better than any of these low-level insult exchanges.  Mostly, I ignore and don't bother to look at the chat.

It bothers me not online.  Live, when tired, the odd bit of needle can get a rise from me, but I will work to eradicate that.

Don't forget that idiots, are idiots, are idiots - playing poker, in online forum discussion, chanting at a football match, talking in a pub.  In poker it can be a great weakness to spot and sometimes it pays to exploit it - part of the game for me.

I can see how it does affect people though and the point about it being damaging for the poker environment online I am sure has some merit.

And that is part of my interest.

I have a sort of (admittedly daft) vision that Online Poker would do better (more players, so good for all of us, both sides of the table) if we could reduce this sort of nonsense. But first we have to understand it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

There are legions of annoying, boorish, moronic dipshits in the world.

In real life I stay away from those people.

Online tourneys have random seat draws Sad
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

I think it is all about the distance created between you and the other player created by you being online by yourself, probably in your room or whatever. You are not face to face with these people so you can feel that general public courtesy need not apply. So you can over-amplify your emotions to joke levels without much consequence and that freedom of outrageous expression can become addictive as its unavailable in the 'real world', and could be these people's little sin in life, to berate others to outrageous levels. I don't think they are looking for the person they are abusing to feel down about what they say either, instead for them to be riled so as to feel the same level of annoyance they do.

I doubt they would be happy, for example, if they said I hope you die of cancer, and the person they said it to, was actually struggling with it. A lot of it is throw-away statements that the person saying them doesn't actually mean, but they are trying to vent their frustrations in the most explicit way possible as a form of weird stress relief.

These people may be stand up guys in real life.

It may sound like I am defending it, but of course I am not, you said Tikay you were trying to understand it.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »

I think it is all about the distance created between you and the other player created by you being online by yourself, probably in your room or whatever. You are not face to face with these people so you can feel that general public courtesy need not apply.

It would interesting to know if 888 get the same thing on their webcam tables, where you can see who you're playing with.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »

Can't claim to understand it

In a minor way I had it yesterday

There was an issue so on a (seems to be unmoderated) forum I get the line

"You are such an incompetent twat"

Fair comment aside, I sort out the issue over 6-7 PMs, various emails

In PMs

"thank you so very very much for sorting this"

and nothing to withdraw the comment he made in public, which is still there....

Internetz is confusing, but not as confusing as people.

Err yes, tell me about it.......

I'm regularly accused of being some sort of moronic retarded twat just for doing my job, but that's a different thing really. As a general rule, poker players don't understand how it works on the other side of the table, but they say it knowing we cannot respond in kind, even if we so wished, because they are Clients. Pretty low really.

Anyway, that is off-topic. Back to the reaction to bad, or more correctly, standard beats.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

I think it is all about the distance created between you and the other player created by you being online by yourself, probably in your room or whatever. You are not face to face with these people so you can feel that general public courtesy need not apply. So you can over-amplify your emotions to joke levels without much consequence and that freedom of outrageous expression can become addictive as its unavailable in the 'real world', and could be these people's little sin in life, to berate others to outrageous levels. I don't think they are looking for the person they are abusing to feel down about what they say either, instead for them to be riled so as to feel the same level of annoyance they do.

I doubt they would be happy, for example, if they said I hope you die of cancer, and the person they said it to, was actually struggling with it. A lot of it is throw-away statements that the person saying them doesn't actually mean, but they are trying to vent their frustrations in the most explicit way possible as a form of weird stress relief.

These people may be stand up guys in real life.

It may sound like I am defending it, but of course I am not, you said Tikay you were trying to understand it.

I agree with most of that, Ant, except the enboldened part. There is no way they can be decent in real-life.

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »

Always Turn chat off  as generally it serves no positive purpose
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

Always Turn chat off , as generally it serves no positive purpose

Yes, easy. But I'm trying to find out why.

It does not bother me, personally, as such, not at all. I suppose I do feel rather sorry for them, but thats all.

When I see it, I sort of sit there & shake my head in disbelief, but no, it does not trouble me as such. I just have an inquisitive mind. Looking the other way will never solve it.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »

For a lot of people gambling, and here specifically Online Poker, is a displacement activity.

An escape from real life troubles. Addictive too

So when something intrudes on that escape, such as a perceived "bad" play, or an outdraw, it has a magnified effect on the psyche of the person on the receiving end

Not only does it spoil their enjoyment, not even accounting for the financial "loss" or absence of "win" that may be an issue if someone is playing higher stakes than is sensible, but it intrudes on their escpae from their troubles like a dagger into their mental state of mind

The response is as much a comment on their own situation as directed at the opponent, but the kneejerk reaction is to want to make the opponent feel as bad as they are feeling. To spread the "pain"

Add this to issues such as immaturity and lack of education and you get a perfect storm of chatbox abuse, the type of which would make most reasonable people cringe.

We used to see some of it on blonde too. Fortunately serial offenders don't post on here any more, by our choice

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: