blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....  (Read 9526 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Have you ever met anyone in live poker, or just plain real life, say that to you?

Guess it is all a part of the keyboard warrior thing.

Plus, thankfully, none of them have ever, presumably, seen real life tragedies, be it cancer, death, mental illness, at close hand, or to their own family, or themself.

If you are on Twitter, & follow poker players, you see the "Live" version, when they Tweet from a Live Poker Table. "The retarded moron next to me is SO bad".

Meanwhile, sat at the table, he is presumably not saying the same things.....

I haven't no, I'd be doing an Audley Harrison on there ass if they did.

I think it's two different things to berate a player for being terrible just for the sake of it, which is ofc beyond stupid, compared to you moaning about a villain that played a hand terribly and got lucky and bust you which is understandably pretty frustrating, but all part of the game.

What does that involve?

Me trying to look all confident before insta getting knocked out.

Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

I remember an old Eddie Izzard stand up routine where he went into a serious bit about vandals compared to builders.  He said the lure of vandalising something is all about 'changing the energy or make up' of something, much like the desire to build, but vandalising something is of course a lot more easier.

I think it's the same with chatbox warriors.  It's obviously much harder to build a rapport with people and build friendships, much easier to affect people by being rude and abusive.  And that buzz of affecting another life, changing something which wouldn't have been changed without you, is probably the desire most if not all people crave.  Most people like to be noticed and remembered.  And to mess with stuff, either positively or negatively.
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »

I find it a normal, if fairly rare, part of playing online poker. Happens usually at the lower stakes.
Presumably those indulging in this behaviour are some or all of the following: young, testosterone fuelled, immature, inexperienced (in life and in poker), bad losers, losers and weak. I wouldnt read too much into it, nor should it put rational people off playing.
Having said that I rarely ignore these people, but the response will be just to remind them of their weakness/etc.
Jables20

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

I have a sort of (admittedly daft) vision that Online Poker would do better (more players, so good for all of us, both sides of the table) if we could reduce this sort of nonsense. But first we have to understand it.

This sort of language is pretty rotten and clearly designed to be as offensive and malicious as possible, but you have to be fist pumping if you're in a game where this sort of stuff is going off in the chat surely?
If you subscribe to the view that good grinders hardly ever use use the chat box then these guys must be the absolute worst. Personally I'd be against any action that discouraged these people from playing.
You have to develop a pretty thick skin about a lot of things in poker and I think this is one of the easiest things not to tilt about.

It sucks for the guy ITT who's mum was put off online poker because of weak minded people in the chat box. She should rest assured that her profits in the game will come from people with a range of different weaknesses, some of whom like to wave a big white banner in the chat just in case you don't spot them right away. I'd advise her to turn the chat box off. She shouldn't have to, but the game would be tougher if these people weren't playing.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »

Tikay might not like this but I think it's good

I may or may not like it, which is not the point, if it helps me understand it, I'd really like to hear why.

Its nothing to do with my personal views as such. That is a whole different ball game. We'd best not go there. Ever. Wink

I just think it's good because it enables idiots (let's face it all these people are idiots) to lose control and tilt. I've had the cancer wishes upon me, the mum insults, racial things. I couldn't give 2 flying fucks and welcome more of it.  They help me identify them as tilters and losers and usually adapt accordingly much more quickly.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »

Tikay might not like this but I think it's good

I may or may not like it, which is not the point, if it helps me understand it, I'd really like to hear why.

Its nothing to do with my personal views as such. That is a whole different ball game. We'd best not go there. Ever. Wink

I just think it's good because it enables idiots (let's face it all these people are idiots) to lose control and tilt. I've had the cancer wishes upon me, the mum insults, racial things. I couldn't give 2 flying fucks and welcome more of it.  They help me identify them as tilters and losers and usually adapt accordingly much more quickly.

Trouble is that it puts other people off who would be happy losing money to you, so I'm not really sure you actually benefit.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

Funniest online chat comeback I ever heard of:

Some idiot was being massively abusive in the chatbox after losing a pot. His opponent typed in response: "I've just told your mum about the filthy and abusive language you use. I'm afraid she can't respond though. She's got her mouth full."
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »

That reminds me of the Jimmy Carr response to a heckle in Birmingham.

"If you want my comeback, there's probably still some on your mum's teeth"

Bit coarse, that.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 06:48:09 AM »

I know live players who are wind up murchants.... they try get a reaction and put players on tilt!! part of their game!!
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

Once I was on the receiving end of "Get back to the cotton field nigga".

My location stated (Birmingham) so our geographically challenged friends in the US obv thought I lived in Alabama. But therein lies the answer. Why do people take comments personally when they clearly can't be personalised by design? Why waste time picturing how a poster writes like a tall person when they could easily turn out to be short? Why ponder trying to find deep meaning and understanding for a superficial surface puff of human emotion.

My Dad never swears. We were in the car the other day and a woman pulled out right in front of us causing my dad slam on the anchors and scream "bleeding bitch" before returning almost instantly to normal. I was quite shocked really but I wouldn't judge his whole character on that one nano-second of mindless verbal ejaculation. It meant nothing so you put no weight or credibility to it.

So what do I think when I see FACK OFF FREAK WITH MY CHIPS or BURN IN HELL FREAKY LUCKY MORON? I think lol.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »

My location stated (Birmingham) so our geographically challenged friends in the US obv thought I lived in Alabama. But therein lies the answer. Why do people take comments personally when they clearly can't be personalised by design? Why waste time picturing how a poster writes like a tall person when they could easily turn out to be short? Why ponder trying to find deep meaning and understanding for a superficial surface puff of human emotion.

My Dad never swears. We were in the car the other day and a woman pulled out right in front of us causing my dad slam on the anchors and scream "bleeding bitch" before returning almost instantly to normal. I was quite shocked really but I wouldn't judge his whole character on that one nano-second of mindless verbal ejaculation. It meant nothing so you put no weight or credibility to it.

So what do I think when I see FACK OFF FREAK WITH MY CHIPS or BURN IN HELL FREAKY LUCKY MORON? I think lol.

I don't think "I hope your children get cancer" qualifies as one nano-second of mindless verbal ejaculation.

If I punch someone in the face, can I excuse it as one nano-second of mindless physical ejaculation?

Yes, I know one example hurts more than the other. For me, it's the first one.

The older I get, the better I was.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »

I don't think "I hope your children get cancer" qualifies as one nano-second of mindless verbal ejaculation.

If I punch someone in the face, can I excuse it as one nano-second of mindless physical ejaculation?

Yes, I know one example hurts more than the other. For me, it's the first one.

But that guy doesn't know you have children. So you're adding the weight to his words yourself. I don't see the mileage in doing that in the internet poker environment. You are a badass poker player and you can't let some internet geek knock you out your stride with a few choice words. Nah baby, next customer, this freaky lucky moron is coming through. It doesn't affect me one bit and don't see how letting it helps you play good poker. As far as the wider question of changing the world and why are people the way they are? I dunno, seems tough.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Have you ever met anyone in live poker, or just plain real life, say that to you?

Guess it is all a part of the keyboard warrior thing.

Plus, thankfully, none of them have ever, presumably, seen real life tragedies, be it cancer, death, mental illness, at close hand, or to their own family, or themself.

If you are on Twitter, & follow poker players, you see the "Live" version, when they Tweet from a Live Poker Table. "The retarded moron next to me is SO bad".

Meanwhile, sat at the table, he is presumably not saying the same things.....

I've been called a c$%& a w***** a b&6$3rd and all sorts at the table.

I knocked a guys drunken mate out who was in seat 3 I was in 4 and he was in seat 2. My smiling to the insults  seemed to work, and then he shoved on me, I called with 66, he had Tc2c rivers a Ten and gets up, shouts in my face, "GET IN THERE YOU FUCKING TNUC" I was just speechless, the tournament director was sat on the table chatting to someone and she didn't do anything. But life went on, still minraised the next hand ^.^ Apparently the guy who I knocked out before this was a hardnut, so staying stum was certainly better than taking a jab to the face. And they were bad enough that I'll take some abuse in my workplace

The chatbox online tends to be hilarious, I never really see any abuse on pokerstars but I'm not really interested in the chatbox in general.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »

Never really understood why they have a chat box.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

Never really understood why they have a chat box.

So you can chat with the pro's!

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: