blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 02:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Food/Cooking thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Food/Cooking thread  (Read 30440 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:15 AM »

Great thread

Favourite restaurant- Pied a Terre
Favourite chain restaurant- Pizza Express
Favourite cuisine- French
Favourite friday night takeaway- Jerk Chicken and Festival
Favourite lunchtime fast food- Greggs corned beef pasty
Guilty Pleasure- chocolate of every type
Death row order- Jamon Iberico de belota with a bottle of Vega Sicillia

Got a question for the foodies on here.  Got an evening out with some Finnish guys that I am doing some business with.  I offered them their choice of cuisine for dinner and they replied, to my dismay, Chinese and in particular somewhere that has good duck.  We are going to the football (England game) first so it will be late-ish but keen for somewhere good but not too dressy.  Any ideas?  Price not really an issue but quality is for me at least.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »

Great thread

Favourite restaurant- Was a restaurant in Malaysia that served us hands down the best meal I've ever had and it wasn't really even close. I think all in for 5 people we paid less than 20 quid too. Will never forget that meal. Otherwise it's Wok2Walk in Amsterdam but only because years ago when I went there I was so so stoned I could have eaten from a dustbin and thought it was amazing.
Favourite chain restaurant- Hawksmoor if that counts? Big Chain would have to be Hi Sushi.
Favourite cuisine- Thai and Greek!
Favourite friday night takeaway- Indian with chinese a close second
Favourite lunchtime fast food- Fried chicken
Guilty Pleasure - Fried fat worms (not a joke!)
Death row order - American style new york cheesecake + all the above

Got a question for the foodies on here.  Got an evening out with some Finnish guys that I am doing some business with.  I offered them their choice of cuisine for dinner and they replied, to my dismay, Chinese and in particular somewhere that has good duck.  We are going to the football (England game) first so it will be late-ish but keen for somewhere good but not too dressy.  Any ideas?  Price not really an issue but quality is for me at least.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »

[quote author=redarmi link=topic=61172.msg1776239#msg1776239 date=1369104675

[/quote]

I've not been for ages but believe the Four Seasons in Bayswater has a good rep and should be relatively easy to get to. Plenty of reviews if you google to give you an idea what to expect.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »

Problem is cooking for 16 people, so need an industrial sized deep fryer to do it in one go, and hard to do it in batches as goes cold fast and then soggy if reheated. Surely oven is only way forward?

Have you considered Chinese steamboat style - genius is guests cook for themselves !   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDEb9uwg5g

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »

Great thread

Favourite restaurant- Pied a Terre
Favourite chain restaurant- Pizza Express
Favourite cuisine- French
Favourite friday night takeaway- Jerk Chicken and Festival
Favourite lunchtime fast food- Greggs corned beef pasty
Guilty Pleasure- chocolate of every type
Death row order- Jamon Iberico de belota with a bottle of Vega Sicillia

Good reviews on Tripadvisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d733966-Reviews-Yauatcha-London_England.html

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:17 AM »

Hakkasan and Yauatcha best Chinese restaurants in London, they are high end but not that dressy, Yauatcha is probably less dressy of the 2 but is based around a massive dim sum menu, Hakkasan has a better duck dish

Can get tables late for both as well, I'd be astonished if they weren't impressed or didn't like either
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »

Actually think Hakkasans duck and pancakes dish actually comes with caviar and is quite lumpy, assume when they say good duck that's what they mean
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »

So Yauatcha is probably best

Order the blue swimmer crab dimsum, lobster dimsum with tobiko caviar, char Sui bun, venison puffs and  jasmine tea smoked ribs. They do duck crispy rolls which are decent and also duck and pancakes. Avoid chilli squid as it comes caked in some weird oatmeal mix that takes over the whole plate I seem to remember. Think same rings true for soft shell crab
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:10:52 AM by Dubai » Logged
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »

Ok I'm gonna endeavour to post about really authentic Thai food which is almost nothing like the Thai food you get in UK

Super interested in this. Be amazing if you could post pictures and a recipe of some really authentic home/street food please
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

Ok I'm gonna endeavour to post about really authentic Thai food which is almost nothing like the Thai food you get in UK

Super interested in this. Be amazing if you could post pictures and a recipe of some really authentic home/street food please

I'm gonna do it.

U ever been to thailand dave?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »

Favourite restaurant- A steak house in Puerto Banus, forgot the name it was over 5 yrs ago.
Favourite chain restaurant- Jamie's Italian
Favourite cuisine- Great British
Favourite friday night takeaway- Pizza Express
Favourite lunchtime fast food- Burger King
Guilty Pleasure- Chocolate cake, cake, cake, and even more cake. #LoveTheCake
Death row order- Lamb Chops, with all the trimmings, and chocolate cake for pudding!
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

Favourite restaurant- Hakkasan Hanway Place/Alize Las Vegas

Favourite chain restaurant- Hakkasan (don't think its what you were after but nvm)

Favourite cuisine- Asian (what a cop out)

Favourite friday night takeaway- Indian

Favourite lunchtime fast food- Nandos

Guilty Pleasure- Also Nandos

Death row order- Would take about a year to comeup with the answer, good thing you get about 15 on DR

Never been to Nandos, is it nice? Not a lover of chicken myself.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »

Always wanted to go Claridges, anyone been? Seems like another world.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_JTFwgR1VY

Beautiful fish Imo
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »

I could let you have my chopped-liver recipe Dave if you like that sort of thing, it does come highly recommended as Lucy Rokach says it is "the nuts". There is one vital ingredient that you will have to source yourself though if you do fancy making it.

Next time you have a roast chicken(or 15) save the chicken fat that you skim off before making the gravy and just keep it in a ramekin covered with clingfilm in the top of the 'fridge. It'll keep fine for a week at least.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: