blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Markups
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Markups  (Read 22400 times)
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »

sorry to drag this up again but it’s been on mind a lot lately.

a good friend of mine buys 10% of my tournament action...i view it as insurance to help flatten out the variance a little.

as he was a friend we started on spot & about 6 months ago, on his suggestion, we agreed to up it to 1.1; i sold a further 10% at 1.1 for my vegas trip to tony, someone who's always been there if i needed to sell a piece or two.

for the record, behind all the smoke & mirrors & despite what my hendon mob might say i’m far from rolling in it & the point i want to make is that i am & always have been very grateful that folk are happy to have a share of me; yes it would be lovely to get another 0.2% on top & in my pocket but i just think i’d be taking the piss & abusing our friendship.

yes i’m an old fart now but it wasn’t so long ago that there was no such thing as mark-up, you were just happy that someone had faith enough in your game to give you a £100 towards a £1000 comp for 10%...you’re the one who gets to play, gets the experience, gets the opportunity to make a name for yourself; to me, of late, it just seems that folk forget this.

it just seems that players want too much too soon these days...if you ain't rolled adequately maybe you shouldn't be expecting to play such big events; i guarantee they'll still be there next year.

ps, i realise i’ve been incredibly fortunate over my career with sponsorship dollars so fair enough if you think i should gtfo

YES GTFO THIS THREAD PADDY BOY
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »

one word; do1
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »

[ ] one word

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »

[ ] one word

winner!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »

Julian.disgraced himself in this thread imo. Multiple fails.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »

surprised he didn't use a curse word. horrible person
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »

surprised he didn't use a curse word. horrible person

He's no Nick Hicks.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

you’re the one who gets to play, gets the experience, gets the opportunity to make a name for yourself; to me, of late, it just seems that folk forget this

Totally understand what you're saying Julian, but on the flip side, you are putting a lot of hard work in (I guess I may get called out on "hard work" but live poker tournaments can certainly be gruelling) and the person with a % doesn't have to do a thing.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

you’re the one who gets to play, gets the experience, gets the opportunity to make a name for yourself; to me, of late, it just seems that folk forget this

Totally understand what you're saying Julian, but on the flip side, you are putting a lot of hard work in (I guess I may get called out on "hard work" but live poker tournaments can certainly be gruelling) and the person with a % doesn't have to do a thing.

If you think funking is "not doing a thing" you ain't funking properly.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

If you think funking is "not doing a thing" you ain't funking properly.

Tongue

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

Yeah this to some degree I played 9 hours of Monte Carlo grinding a shortstack when a lot of people might have made some marginal shoves. However, I don't think I'll charge markup for many comps for a long time.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: