blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poker Media Mid Life Crisis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Media Mid Life Crisis  (Read 129527 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »

Inspired by Andrew T and my recent enjoyment of Pleno1's blog, I've decided to do one of these.

My name is Barry Carter, I am 34 from Sheffield. I have worked in the poker media as a writer/editor/marketing guy for about eight years. I am the news editor of PokerStrategy and co author of The Mental Game of Poker 1&2 (With Jared Tendler).

Ok spam out of the way. I thought now would be a good time to do one of these diaries. I have a few blogs, but they are all kinda 'work' blogs with a business intent behind them. I start this one because I love Blondepoker and I am at an interesting cross roads in my life. The problem is - I currently have everything I've ever really wanted and am really happy.

The last two or three years have been a real rollercoaster. My Dad died nearly three years ago suddenly and unexpectedly. Shortly after I released my first book - on Black Friday, literally the worst day in history to release a poker book. I got married last year in New York to my lovely wife Gina. Soon after the wedding Gina had a really shitty year with jobs, losing one and struggling to find a new one. This year Jared and I finished and released our second book. All the while holding down a mostly full time job for PokerStrategy. The books and jobs did well, and as a result I was able to finally buy my first house in April.

So the last three years I was always either working my bollocks off, saving for the house or dealing with something quite major in life terms.

Now after all that time I find myself content and very happy - and I have no idea how to deal with it. I love being married, I love my house, I love my job and have some interesting things on the horizon, I have a great dog, good friends, the family are doing well, health is ok etc. I really am pinch myself happy and am highly motivated to work really hard to hold onto what I have.

But it feels weird. I'm a bit of a workaholic and am not sure to do now I have free time and less stress in my life. I keep jokingly singing to Gina the song 'I just don't know what to do with myself' because I find myself getting bored easily.

So I thought a diary would be fun. Maybe it will help me find a new hobby, or something new to get stressed about (which I secretly crave).

Ask Me Anything! One of my great qualities and flaws in life is that I am way too honest when I am asked something, so that in itself could prove entertaining.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »

In first. Glglgl.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

Is it true you invented the shoe lace ? Wink

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »

Is it true you invented the shoe lace ? Wink

No

The nickname DaveShoelace did come from that, kinda.

Once for a 'laugh' I checked into a hotel under a false name. This was obviously years back when hotels didn't always require a credit card for a reservation. Between my friends and I, somehow we thought 'Dave Shoelace' was a funny name, and it stuck. We had a back story that Dave Shoelace's ancestors invented the shoe lace.

In hindsight it's not funny.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »

Ask Me Anything!

Can I have a free copy of The Mental Game of Poker please. I will even let you sign it for me too. TY.

Life has no rebuy options
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »

Inspired by Andrew T and my recent enjoyment of Pleno1's blog, I've decided to do one of these.

My name is Barry Carter, I am 34 from Sheffield. I have worked in the poker media as a writer/editor/marketing guy for about eight years. I am the news editor of PokerStrategy and co author of The Mental Game of Poker 1&2 (With Jared Tendler).

Ok spam out of the way. I thought now would be a good time to do one of these diaries. I have a few blogs, but they are all kinda 'work' blogs with a business intent behind them. I start this one because I love Blondepoker and I am at an interesting cross roads in my life. The problem is - I currently have everything I've ever really wanted and am really happy.

The last two or three years have been a real rollercoaster. My Dad died nearly three years ago suddenly and unexpectedly. Shortly after I released my first book - on Black Friday, literally the worst day in history to release a poker book. I got married last year in New York to my lovely wife Gina. Soon after the wedding Gina had a really shitty year with jobs, losing one and struggling to find a new one. This year Jared and I finished and released our second book. All the while holding down a mostly full time job for PokerStrategy. The books and jobs did well, and as a result I was able to finally buy my first house in April.

So the last three years I was always either working my bollocks off, saving for the house or dealing with something quite major in life terms.

Now after all that time I find myself content and very happy - and I have no idea how to deal with it. I love being married, I love my house, I love my job and have some interesting things on the horizon, I have a great dog, good friends, the family are doing well, health is ok etc. I really am pinch myself happy and am highly motivated to work really hard to hold onto what I have.

But it feels weird. I'm a bit of a workaholic and am not sure to do now I have free time and less stress in my life. I keep jokingly singing to Gina the song 'I just don't know what to do with myself' because I find myself getting bored easily.

So I thought a diary would be fun. Maybe it will help me find a new hobby, or something new to get stressed about (which I secretly crave).

Ask Me Anything! One of my great qualities and flaws in life is that I am way too honest when I am asked something, so that in itself could prove entertaining.

Ninja Edit - Replace all of the above with "I'm ready to become a father."  It's practically screaming it!

Question: Have you ever considered using the phrase "I'm Barry, from Sheffield" in a poker room environment?

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »

I am 34 .

call

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:22:36 PM »

Ask Me Anything!

Can I have a free copy of The Mental Game of Poker please. I will even let you sign it for me too. TY.

Sadly no, nice try though.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »

Christ, do you know the worst thing? I'm actually 33 still.

That's a sign you are getting old, you get your own age wrong.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »

Ninja Edit - Replace all of the above with "I'm ready to become a father."  It's practically screaming it!

Question: Have you ever considered using the phrase "I'm Barry, from Sheffield" in a poker room environment?

We really don't want kids, no inclination at all yet.

No to your other question, everyone would think I was Barry Nev
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

Do u dye the middle of your hair so u look like peep le pew?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »

No that's natural, had it since I was 9.

School nicknames included the one you just mentioned, Grandad, tippex head, streak, skunk and barry the badger bastard
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »

Gotta love someone who is happy

Good luck Barry, in this & everything you do.

Happy is good.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »

Yeah dont have kids they spoil most of the fun!

I remember when u posted about your Dad, very moving.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »

No that's natural, had it since I was 9.

School nicknames included the one you just mentioned, Grandad, tippex head, streak, skunk and barry the badger bastard

If only online screen names weren't restricted in length!!

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: