blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poker Media Mid Life Crisis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Media Mid Life Crisis  (Read 130306 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »

Personal productivity

Something I have become a real nerd about in the last few years is productivity. I always had problems managing my time but then I bought a training course called 'Wake Up Productive' and also a great book by Tony Schwartz.

The last couple of years I have developed a routine which I really think has helped, especially because I am always doing a side project alongside my normal work like the books. Basically I do these things before I check my emails or anything else.

• Wake up, - have a glass of water & brekky.
  • Walk the dog.
  • Shower.
  • High leverage work - proper hokey term. Basically I do one thing which will really benefit me career wise long term, which I would otherwise put off. This is my way to make sure I always do something I am building towards. For the last six months my high leverage work was book number 2. Most of my contribution to that book was done first thing in the morning, before I would get distracted by emails, twitter, forums and my usual day job. Doing it first thing in the morning really helps you focus before distraction sets in.
  • High leverage pokerstrategy work - same thing, but whatever my most important job of the day for pokerstrategy is.
  • Gym.

The order in which I do them varies (and the one thing that does drop from the routine too often is the gym - this week I've had lots of WSOP stuff to do so the gym is 'hopefully' happening in the afternoons) but this one routine has helped me so much and really removed a lot of stress from my working day. I usually don't read my emails until about now every day. Let me tell you, I think email is the number one productivity killer in the world (I use Skype a lot, which is a close second) and as I get older I am trying harder and harder to reduce the time I spend on it each day. I think I heard it makes up about 60% of most peoples work day.

DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »

Personal productivity

Something I have become a real nerd about in the last few years is productivity. I always had problems managing my time but then I bought a training course called 'Wake Up Productive' and also a great book by Tony Schwartz.

The last couple of years I have developed a routine which I really think has helped, especially because I am always doing a side project alongside my normal work like the books. Basically I do these things before I check my emails or anything else.

• Wake up, - have a glass of water & brekky.
  • Walk the dog.
  • Shower.
  • High leverage work - proper hokey term. Basically I do one thing which will really benefit me career wise long term, which I would otherwise put off. This is my way to make sure I always do something I am building towards. For the last six months my high leverage work was book number 2. Most of my contribution to that book was done first thing in the morning, before I would get distracted by emails, twitter, forums and my usual day job. Doing it first thing in the morning really helps you focus before distraction sets in.
  • High leverage pokerstrategy work - same thing, but whatever my most important job of the day for pokerstrategy is.
  • Gym.

The order in which I do them varies (and the one thing that does drop from the routine too often is the gym - this week I've had lots of WSOP stuff to do so the gym is 'hopefully' happening in the afternoons) but this one routine has helped me so much and really removed a lot of stress from my working day. I usually don't read my emails until about now every day. Let me tell you, I think email is the number one productivity killer in the world (I use Skype a lot, which is a close second) and as I get older I am trying harder and harder to reduce the time I spend on it each day. I think I heard it makes up about 60% of most peoples work day.

Thanks for the earlier mention Barry.  I agree with #1.

ps - email me your skype details.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »

Just had Caribbean food for the first time, can't believe I have missed out on this for 33 years. I have a Jamaican friend who always banged on about how nice Caribbean Rice & Peas were and I dimly assumed it was white rice and green peas. Literally the best meal I've had in yonks.

My and the lil lady are going out for a meal with FUN4FRASER next week, might have to suggest this.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »

Rice'n'peas'n'tings. Looks nice.What are they?

Cymru am byth
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »

You going to Vegas this year, either for business or pleasure?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »

Rice'n'peas'n'tings. Looks nice.What are they?

I had jerk chicken, missus had chick pea curry, both with plantains and rice'n'peas'ting. Also had this oxtail thing on the side.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »

You going to Vegas this year, either for business or pleasure?

No. This is my third year of not going to Vegas.

This year the excuse was the house, last year the excuse was the wedding.

However there is more to it. The instant information nature of my job and social media has meant that its very easy for me to cover poker from my office at home without actually going to the place. Its really easy to cover the WSOP without going today. Most mornings this week I have put together a curated report like this one  really easily.

It's great that I can do my job from anywhere, but in recent years I have become more introverted and in the last few months I have become very aware of that. I think it boils down to what I said in my OP about having had so much to do, and now having free time, I notice it more.

In fact this is one of the big reasons I wanted to do this diary, to put myself out there a bit more and be more social. I think its good for business and my well being.

I need to get to more poker events full stop. I still love the game and love the industry, but I don't play anywhere near as much as I should.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »

Did you know we've met?

We stood next to each other a couple of years ago - maybe three - at the IPO. You were talking on the rail with George2Loose and I think we were railing differing people in the same table.

We probably exchanged half a dozen words. I went away saying "I just spoke to Barry Carter".

True story.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »

Did you know we've met?

We stood next to reach other a couple of years ago - maybe three - at the IPO. You were talking on the rail with George2Loose and I think we were railing differing people in the same table.

We probably exchanged half a dozen words. I went away saying "I just spoke to Barry Carter".

True story.

lol, know I didn't even really know who you were until the last 12 months or so.

That's the oddest thing about poker to me, meeting 'internet friends'. I get people come up to me saying

'hi barry',

I say 'hi, who are you?'

'james'

'james who?'

'wigglebiscuits1984 from blondepoker'

or some such

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Dave, do you still play poker? if not would that be a hobby to pursue again.

Any old hobbies you stopped doing when you were younger that you would love to have a crack at again. Football  and cricket for me. Haven't played either for years due to a young family and the shifts I work
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »

Dave, do you still play poker? if not would that be a hobby to pursue again.

Any old hobbies you stopped doing when you were younger that you would love to have a crack at again. Football  and cricket for me. Haven't played either for years due to a young family and the shifts I work

Online poker, no. I used to take it very seriously indeed but after book+black Friday+my dad passing away I honestly have never really wanted to do it again.

Live poker, yes. I love it more now than ever. The difference is I play for fun now and used to play for money. It's just as well I play for fun because I think I'm probably a losing player these days.

I used to run a lot, pre poker, did a few half marathons.

I do have one new hobby in recent years, reading. I always have a book on the go these days.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »

Did you know we've met?

We stood next to reach other a couple of years ago - maybe three - at the IPO. You were talking on the rail with George2Loose and I think we were railing differing people in the same table.

True story.

lol, know I didn't even really know who you were until the last 12 months or so.

That's the oddest thing about poker to me, meeting 'internet friends'. I get people come up to me saying

'hi barry',

I say 'hi, who are you?'

'james'

'james who?'

'wigglebiscuits1984 from blondepoker'

or some such

I bet!

Yes that was long before my blonde poker celebrity status. I hadn't even heard of this site then. Used to get all my poker news from magazines Cheesy ergo, poker writers were as well known to me as the players.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »

I don't think we have ever met either.

You're on my list of blondes that I haven't met yet, but would like to.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »

You're on my list of blondes that I haven't bought me dinner met yet, but would like you to.

I think that's what Vin means

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:25 PM »

You're on my list of blondes that I haven't bought me dinner met yet, but would like you to.

I think that's what Vin means

Ffs, I was grooming him.

Thanks for calling me back earlier eso...

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: