blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273055 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2013/14 Ashes thread
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013/14 Ashes thread  (Read 73918 times)
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

Obv going to be a lot of changes before the summer series kicks in and as the county season starts different names will be shouted for.

As we stand this is my starting xi for 1st test of the summer

Hales
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Root
Stokes
Prior
Broad
Borthwick
Tremlett
Anderson

Hales?! He doesn't even get in the Notts County Championship team any more. Averaged 12 last year before being dropped.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »

Tremlett is finished

Spent last summer bowling at 75mph for Surrey and I hoped it was him feeling his way back, then in the first Test he bowled ok but only 77mph tops. Not going to be a threat in Test cricket unless he's up near 90

Borthwick won't be anywhere near the team, not a good enough bowler

Hales needs weight of runs and doesn't have them

People like James Taylor and Onions will benefit from not being on this debacle and will be in this summer

As we don't have anyone to replace Swann (especially against Sri Lanka and India) we might go greenish wickets and play 4 seamers and an extra batsman

Something like

Cook
Root - still don't feel Carberry is a long term answer
Bell
Pieterson
Taylor
Ballance/Bopara
Stokes
Buttler - better keeper and better batsman than Bairstow
Broad
Anderson
Onions

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »

Why does Bell never seem to get the criticism the others get? He still seems to be guaranteed his place, despite scoring 235 in 10 innings, beating 50 twice and less than 10 four times.

Cook, Broad and Stokes should be the only certainties imo.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »

Why does Bell never seem to get the criticism the others get? He still seems to be guaranteed his place, despite scoring 235 in 10 innings, beating 50 twice and less than 10 four times.

Cook, Broad and Stokes should be the only certainties imo.

Because he was so brilliant this summer

He also does not invite opprobrium in his style, the the extent that say KP does who very visibly gives it away a lot with daft dismissals

Every single England batsman underperformed dramatically. Some out of form, some just lacking technique against the quick stuff. How Graham Gooch survives as batting coach is another question. What exactly has he contributed to shoring up the top six? Not a lot on the face of it 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

Robson?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 05, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »

Next Test is June......so its up to players to use the international one dayers and county cricket to force their selection.

atm , there's not too many obvious choices to step in.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »

Bell aside, the batting was pretty ropey in the English summer as well, but bailed out by the bowlers.

When did Gooch take up his role?  Our batting has been woeful for some time now.  How he keeps his job is beyond me.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »

I think i'd go for this line up, fitness permitting, for the first test of the summer.

Cook
Root
Bell
Pietersen
Taylor
Stokes
Buttler
Borthwick
Broad
Anderson
Onions

There are a couple of batsmen waiting in the wings - Robson, Ballance - as the next in line. I would have Chris Jordan as the next all-rounder in line. Bowling, I would be looking to have Overton and Mills in and around the set up as these two are superb prospects. The real worry is at spinner. Do we have a genuine option. I am not convinced Borthwick is quite good enough as a front-line spinner but his batting is accomplished and he can be an important lower order aspect. Panesar's all-round game isnt good enough to be consider any more i'm afraid.

I think the end has come for Carberry, Compton, Trott, Prior (sadly), Bresnan, Tremlett and Panesar. Finn still has a chance but needs some severe coaching to get back to being a threat.

@fairwaywedge
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »

Some good balance there - think we need to persist with Finn if he keeps his pace. Very talented chap

sola virtus nobilitat
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »

I think Prior will be back in the team at some point, he is only 31 and it is less than a year ago he was considered the best test wicketkeeper in the world. Panesar will also be certain to be picked on any pitch which has help for the spinner, you aren't going to leave him out of any tour to the subcontinent are you? The rest are probably done, though who knows what state Trott is in mentally.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »

Came across this analysis on The Guardian website. Can't see much to disagree with:

Right, team meeting.
Flower, Gooch, Cook, you're sacked
Central contracts binned until you win back the Ashes
Bell, Root, Prior and Cook can come back ONLY IF you get big runs in county cricket
KP can fuck right off! NOW!!
Rankin, Carberry and Bairstow, sorry lads, you're not good enough
JA well done on a great career but sorry its time to go
Ballance, Borthwick, you're allowed to keep your place, FOR NOW
Stokes and Broad, you can stay
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »

Dont agree with Anderson assessment. Man just looks like he needs a long rest. Personally, we should have sent him packing after the 3rd test and told him to rest up for next summer.

@fairwaywedge
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2014, 12:46:43 AM »

Is it just me that thinks Andy Flower deserves a bit more respect ?

No debate to be had on what a debacle this has been, but before this series he's achieved great things for England. England haven't been great for a while, but I feel he's done enough to warrant more time in the job.

Everybody loves the idea of sacking someone, let's get someone else in. Who's got a better reputation than Flower who will take the job on ?
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:53 AM »

id love to be able to find away to bat stokes at 7 and the keeper at 8

this would mean stokes being good enough to be the 3rd seamer, but we'd need a solid spinner to be able to tie up an end and be a legit 4 man bowling attack
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »

Is it just me that thinks Andy Flower deserves a bit more respect ?

No debate to be had on what a debacle this has been, but before this series he's achieved great things for England. England haven't been great for a while, but I feel he's done enough to warrant more time in the job.

Everybody loves the idea of sacking someone, let's get someone else in. Who's got a better reputation than Flower who will take the job on ?

I think it's the manner of the defeat that worries people.  I've never seen anything like it.  1000 runs and 8 wickets difference was it?  The batting was an utter gutless disgrace.  I think he is rightly getting flak for it.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: