blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Transfer talk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transfer talk  (Read 7352 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »

I don't see how this drives prices up that much for english players.  Stick 8 youth players in and you've still got a squad of 17 to play with?  And as you say all the expensive youngsters count that have been brought in from abroad. 

I doubt many teams think "I must go and buy Rooney instead of Aguero because he will count as home grown in my CL squad".
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »

And I certainly don't think it's a factor in the Caulker transfer.  i.e. Spurs didn't think that they needed £9 million because he wouldn't be there for a slot in their Euro squad as a home grown player.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »

It simply does, there is 5-6 years of evidence for it. Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson off the top of my head without even thinking about it

Over a Long European League season no top six English side is going to risk having 7 or 8 youth players in a squad of 25 which will mean, once you get a senior injury or two, that you are filling your bench with 17-18 year olds

Its one of the reasons, as well as La Liga sides facing problems, that so many sides in the Premiership look to foreign leagues for experienced signings, Swansea most notably but lots of sides this offseason too

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

I don't dispute the fact that players signed from english clubs cost more. I am disputing the reason why.

I think the reason they cost more is that english clubs are simply under less pressure to sell and thus is takes a larger bid to attract a player.

Sunderland were under little pressure to sell Henderson.  Whereas a European side with one sided TV deals need to generate income on player sales.

I don't think nationality comes into it.  Put simply,  it costs more to buy generic player XYZ from Swansea than it would cost from Villareal.  (assuming both teams are equally keen to keep the player). 
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 12:18:38 AM »

It's a combination of Premier League clubs generally being under little financial pressure to sell, which with the recent TV deal has further reduced (Bony, Wanyame, Van Wolfswinkel signings illustrate this, to mention a few).... but also pressure to not sell homegrown talent by the club's fans i.e. we're only accepting as financially it would be daft not to
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10232239/.html

Funnily enough, I'm following the Bale transfer chat pretty closely.

Levy is being Levy and Madrid's sudden change in rhetoric from bullish inevitability to respectful supplication reflects just how badly Perez wants his man. But there seems to be a sense that this transfer won't go to the wire at the end of the month, as the players at Real seem to be questioning the value of this welsh chap against their own values and spurs's insistence at driving a hard bargain might push Real to stop short of making a concession too many.

The clubs are €20m apart and that's without worrying about the players in part exchange. Spurs know they can't just buy a great left back or a CL quality striker without paying over the odds, as we don't have the lure of good European competition. Di Maria doesn't seem to want to come to Spurs and that's understandable. But it is also potentially a deal breaker. Same for Morata, who Perez was likely relying on to show the club can produce a Spanish star.

It's a much more complicated story than most and another reason why I really hope one day Daniel Levy publishes his memoirs!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »

I think Rooney is treading a very dangerous line with his World Cup chances tonight.

If he tries to make a fool out of Moyes, he could easily find himself not being released for England's qualifiers if he doesn't get away from Utd. Hodgson needs to play it really smart IMO.

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

he could easily find himself not being released for England's qualifiers

Surely no chance that happens.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

he could easily find himself not being released for England's qualifiers

Surely no chance that happens.

well if there is a genuine dispute between him and utd (assuming he stays under duress) and he isn't playing every game, the forfeit of him missing a league game isn't an issue to Utd is it?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »

Won't happen

Moyes needs Hodgson and Hodgson needs Moyes

eg Moyes needs Hodgson when he only wants Welbeck, Phil Jones, Carrick etc to play 45 minutes of some International friendly 3 days before a big league game at some stage

All about scratching each others backs

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »

OMG Palace are now 1/5 to get Darren Bent. Would be over the moon with this.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »

OMG Palace are now 1/5 to get Darren Bent. Would be over the moon with this.

Would be a cracking signing for Palace I think, and could well scupper T4T's bet on Palace to finish bottom! Still think they'd go down though... Wink

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

Should have consulted me before getting that on! Smiley I think we are staying up tbh, rather than not coming bottom.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »

I hate the bullshit in football/politics/life in general

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23722256

of course he hassssssssssssssssssssssss!

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »

Just think what he'd be worth if he weren't injured

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: