blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Anyone here got an electric car?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone here got an electric car?  (Read 2705 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »

I'm not currently looking for a new car, but I do like the idea of an electric car (not so much now, but seems like a good choice in 5 or 10 years the rate fuel is going up).

Would love to hear what people have them think of them, what they like, what sucks, how costly they are to run, how easy it is to get them filled up on the go etc.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »

I'm not currently looking for a new car, but I do like the idea of an electric car (not so much now, but seems like a good choice in 5 or 10 years the rate fuel is going up).

Would love to hear what people have them think of them, what they like, what sucks, how costly they are to run, how easy it is to get them filled up on the go etc.

I made a wooden car once.

Wooden body, wooden wheels, wooden seats, wooden engine....

Guess what? Wooden go.

The older I get, the better I was.
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

Shouldnt you should be showing an interest in your wifes shopping ?  Smiley
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

Shouldnt you should be showing an interest in your wifes shopping ?  Smiley

Sigh...

Whooshed again.

The older I get, the better I was.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

You see the recent Top Gear episode ? Interesting comparison of the Mercs.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »

The problem with electric cars is the range.  They just aren't practical unless you're only doing short journeys and live in a city.  The beauty of the car is that you can jump in it whenever you want, and get wherever you want in the country.  If you run low of fuel, can can fill up INSTANTLY, and then continue with your journey. You can't do that with an electric car.

If they can sort this issue out, then they make a lot of sense.  Electricity is far cheaper than petrol (it's certainly not taxed as much), and there are zero emissions from the actual car itself when it's driven.

In the meantime, there are the hybrids that try to give the both of best worlds, which they achieve to a degree.  However, they also provide the worst of both worlds as well.  The cars tend to be heavy, and offer poor MPG on longer runs compared to standard diesel cars. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 05:13:33 AM »

Also the batteries are so expensive and only have a certain life.  When the Prius was launched it was said to be 10-12 years before they would massively detoriate. In the real world tho it's 5-7 years.

Get a small diesel.  I have a heavy 2.7TDi that gives me 37avg with upto 48 on motorway cruising,  some of the polo/golfs are 70mpg and will be pushing 100mpg soon.
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »

I saw a programme once where they basically plan to put something in the road akin to cats eyes which charges electric cars as you drive, until that time comes they are pretty much useless to me.

SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »

I've heard SofaKing is back if you want a private plate for it!!
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

The charging and the range issues are only temporary, I'm sure they'll be able to sort these out within the next 10 years, electric is really the way forward

Sir Clive was ridiculed for the C-5, I believe he was ahead of his time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:52:10 AM by BangBang » Logged

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »

The charging and the range issues are only temporary, I'm sure they'll be able to sort these out within the next 10 years, electric is really the way forward

Sir Clive was ridiculed for the C-5, I believe he was ahead of his time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5

Think you are right, I noticed several places where you could charge electric cars in California.  Quite a few companies have charging points too for their employees to use.  Only a matter of time before it catches on a bit more over here.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »

What's the attraction of electric cars anyway? Surely the electricity comes mostly from burning fossil fuels anyway? Pretty sure the govt will zap us for big tax at the 'electric pump' also if it ever takes off.
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »

What's the attraction of electric cars anyway? Surely the electricity comes mostly from burning fossil fuels anyway? Pretty sure the govt will zap us for big tax at the 'electric pump' also if it ever takes off.

Less local pollution compared to combustion engines, less less greenhouse emissions, less moving parts... Lowered need for foreign oil, so maybe we'll see less worldwide debt, more options with shapes (not constricted by large combustion engine) etc etc

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

Less local pollution compared to combustion engines, less less greenhouse emissions, less moving parts... Lowered need for foreign oil, so maybe we'll see less worldwide debt, more options with shapes (not constricted by large combustion engine) etc etc

I'm no expert but surely burning coal or whatever to make the electric is not such a good idea either?
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

Running costs are less, zero road tax, London Congestion Charge exempt and you can get a 25% credit up to £5k  from the Government to get one (or 20% up to £8k for a van).  

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: