blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:37:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  I Like Learning My PHA Lessons the Hard Way
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Like Learning My PHA Lessons the Hard Way  (Read 2829 times)
jjandellis
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:01:48 AM »

So this spot came up with 11 left of the Mini Deepstack...

Background

My table is 6 handed. I've had 3 tables through the day, but only one of the players has seen me for extended time.  Difficult for the other players to know (apart from one via a friend I KO'd) that I've been pretty conservative and chosen my spots. My stack has never once been under threat and I've moved from 185k to 2.6m (2.9m at peak, 2.35m coming to table).

Been at the table about 6/7 orbits.  My stacks has hovered between 2.2m and 2.7m all the time.

Key hands...I check down and folded on river, showing an Ace (top pair) on a bit of a scary board. Raggy VB'd the river and I folded showing A...lots of comments about how I fold...turns out he has absolute nuts.

One hand on btn (versus Villain)...1 or 2 orbits before key hand...I raise to 135 k...he goes 300 k..I 4b to 650 k...he folds (I had KK but don't show)

I've not been involved much at all, probs have VPIP/PFR of 16/16 ie. taking the blinds from Btn/CO once an orbit...although always strong...but not shown..

I do get the impression SB/BB beginning to get p*ssed off...

Villain

Seems ok, has good bet sizing and is one of only 2 or 3 players I think I really need to be wary of in final 11. That said, he seems pretty ABC.

He's lost a big pot or two and has been down to 1.3m...but just won a classic - old dude jamming nut flush draw against his top set. He now has 3 million.

The Hand

Blinds 30k/60k a 10k

Folds to me on btn

I have  

I make my normal raise to 135k (from 2.6 million)

SB 3 bets to 325k (from 3 million)

BB folds

Me ?

Options

Fold - pro's....get nit points for fold/show cons...do I wanna win?

Flat - pro's - pot control/position cons - so many flops I'm beat and not happy with

Jam - pro's - force better hand to fold...get weaker hand call (don't think) cons - he has a monster and spanks me

ICM?

Payout considerations are:

1 £10,000
2 £5800
3 £3375
4 £2450
5 £1900
6 £1500
7 £1250
8 £1050
9 £850
10 £675
11 £675

a. Do we take ICM into consideration in a comp like this?

b. Does the villain understand ICM? (erm, do I?? lol)

Ranges

Considering his image with a desire to make a measured play back at me I'm thinking he'd 3b:

a8+, KQ, 77+

Doesn't strike me as the sort to 3b super wide...

Other Thoughts

I do consider folding, as out of the 11 remaining, one is super short and 6 - 7 are v nitty and/or make lots of bet sizing/folding errors. So I'm considering the gaining nit points for my image (worked a treat on day 1) plus finding a better spot later versus 'weaker' players.

Questions

1. Thoughts on range I assign to him?

2. Thoughts on my assessment of the situation?

3. Fold/Call/Raise/Jam???

4. Do we leave ICM at home for comps like this?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:38:31 AM by jjandellis » Logged
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:22:17 AM »

Call. Plenty of postflop maneuverability with +40bb's. 4betting is unnecessary, we have a good hand and position so there's no need to inflate the pot anymore or open ourselves up to being 5b/bluffed.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »

Probably just fold and keep minraising lots. Wouldn't show. I dont think we are 4betting for "value" and we have a nice stack. Could change with reads ofc. Can't really 4b fold and don't fancy jamming. ICM applies in every comp, with every payout structure. (Maybe not winner takes all now I think about it)

Would be minraising pre. 15k extra going to waste here.

Really hard to assign specific ranges here, but we know he probably only has TT+/AQ+ for value but he could just 3bet 67 suited as a bluff etc, Depends what he fancies.

Good post, make stack sizes clearer. We have 2.6 (-135k) and he has 3m? We cant 4bet/fold too happily and have a horrible hand to do so as a bluff. KQ much better but wouldnt bother with that either. If hes just doubled I dont see how he is pissed either! Not a million miles from peeling, probably a bit short. but we are getting a pretty decent price right? 4/1 direct and but not that much behind right? 2.3ish with 800 in the middle. I'd like to be able to peel one and have a good stack left. I'd just back myself to play well from then on and skip a fairly high variance spot. I'd be tempted to pile vs myself though, I'd be 3betting lots.

99 super close dont think piling 88 is horrific but #nitlife.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:40:00 AM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:38 AM »

Thanks for considered post as always...

If I jam...what does he have to have to call u reckon??? (bearing in mind he obv does not know my hand)

I was thinking QQ+

Think he puke calls the bottom of his value range I mentioned above. Did some postal edits. Big believer in lowering variance when deep, I don't see any option than fold being hugely +ev.

P.S How'd you get on without results?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:42:29 AM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »

What is an M of 2 plz?

The older I get, the better I was.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »

Having read your post it seems a clear fold

However:

Do you think he has bluffs?
Do you think he has any ability to 5b jam light?

These are really important points.

As for icm, of course you take it into account.

As described, I fold, in game, if I don't think villain ill 5b light then I 4b

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »

Loads of points to address in this thread  - ill try

1. In this spot ICM is only an issue if you are going bust. I assume you are never getting 40bbs in with 88 here therefore we can set the actual point of going bust to one side.

However ICM is important, when it comes to you (2nd stack) vs the chip leader. If he is competent he should be able and willing to make you life utter misery. (this is why I make the point about will he ever 5b light)

With the above we can move forward

2. Options

Fold - probably not. You suggest you have been active, therefore he is far more likely to try and put you in your place. We have opened a value hand - plan should have been to snap off shoves from the shorties and reassess if 3b by bigger stacks.

Call - it has merits, we have position. Really villain dependant here.

4b - I REALLY like a 4b here (even with an xx holding)  - SUBJECT TO THE VILLAIN! If I think he isn't 5b light, then we can 4b and put him in a pretty bad spot. I like to go on the bigger side here (760k), just to make sure he only has jam or fold options. Clicking it back isn't overly effective for that purpose here.

I cant impress enough how much these spots are villain dependant and your image dependant. But there are so few people who will 5b ai here with non premiums its going to work enough of the time. Clearly if the villain is competent, it is an amazing spot for him to 5ball, but not many people play that way.

One of the reasons I don't hate 4b folding here, is that from a  tournament  point of view, being back to 1.9m has little to no effect on our position. OK its not ideal to 4b fold 700k, but there are merits for our image if we do. I personally tend to rely on aggression this late in tourneys.

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »

call ainec

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

call ainec

How are we proceeding against 2 barrels on a 2 4 Q 9 rainbow?

presume call flop fold turn?

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »

call ainec

too many variables to answer this in a vacuum, calling is just the lesser of all evils with our exact holding were getting the right price to call even if we fold every single prob that doesnt contain an 8, let alone being in position etc etc. 4bet/folding just makes very little sense with our hand K4o is better to 4bet than 88 here

@MtSpewmore
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

call ainec

too many variables to answer this in a vacuum, calling is just the lesser of all evils with our exact holding were getting the right price to call even if we fold every single prob that doesnt contain an 8, let alone being in position etc etc. 4bet/folding just makes very little sense with our hand K4o is better to 4bet than 88 here

I think I make my point fairly specific, that we might as well have xx when we 4 bet, and times when I would.

Im only asking what you do to 2 barrels? Its not a dick swinging competition, im just interested in how you play the hand post if you are calling and we have an innocuous board

He bets 420 and 690 if it helps remove variables

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »

i would call flop fold turn vs those 2 sizings with no other variables

@MtSpewmore
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »

call ainec

I was thinking this too

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »

call ainec

I was thinking this too

Calling is obv fine

I just think at this stage of the tourney "spots" are just as important as holdings. Im not suggesting 4b for value, im suggesting 4b the spot.

outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »

OK so ratings out of 10:

Fold 3/10

Flat 6.5/10

4b 7/10

Jam 0/10

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print