blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Golf: iron sets
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Golf: iron sets  (Read 1383 times)
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »

Hey guys. Over the past couple of years I've got back into golf big time. My set of irons are shoddy and I will replace them this winter. I've got a 19 degree 3 hybrid and a driver that I bought last year but the irons are being replaced. Anyone bought any irons recently with recommendations? Where did u buy then from? Were they custom fitted? What type of shaft etc.

Prob looking around the £300 mark budget wise? And I am a high handicapper. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:30:59 PM by corkeye » Logged
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing.  I had a look around american golf and was a bit annoyed that the standard set seemed to be 5i-9i, PW, SW.  I'm happy with my wedges and can hit a 3i ok, so I'd rather just buy 3i-9i.

Also be interested in whether anyone has been fitted for clubs - can see it being worthwhile for a single figure player not sure of the value for double figure player.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing.  I had a look around american golf and was a bit annoyed that the standard set seemed to be 5i-9i, PW, SW.  I'm happy with my wedges and can hit a 3i ok, so I'd rather just buy 3i-9i.

Also be interested in whether anyone has been fitted for clubs - can see it being worthwhile for a single figure player not sure of the value for double figure player.

I got my Ping eye-2 irons custom-fitted at the Ping factory about fifteen years ago and I still use them today. It's nice to have the clubhead laying square to the ground when you address the ball rather than heel-down which would encourage a hook or heel-up which would have the opposite effect.

My 3 and 4 irons are gathering dust in a corner at home as for the last few years I have been using Cleveland Halo hybrids (19&22) instead as they are way easier to hit. They're a little dated now but still as good as anything around imho.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:50:51 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »

Take a look at Ping G25's.  Not cheap but a very good and forgiving club and will last you a long time.
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »

Take a look at Ping G25's.  Not cheap but a very good and forgiving club and will last you a long time.
well over my budget.

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

2nd hand titliest AP2s. Perfect golf club for almost all levels. Fitted helps but lessons help more.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »

2nd hand titliest AP2s. Perfect golf club for almost all levels. Fitted helps but lessons help more.

Good advice.

Obviously all budget dependant but if you are not getting fitted clubs then no point buying new, deffo get better sticks second hand for the same money.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »

Good advice.

Obviously all budget dependant but if you are not getting fitted clubs then no point buying new, deffo get better sticks second hand for the same money.

Even if you buy second-hand Ping irons you can still take them to the factory and get them customised for free, well that certainly used to be the case.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

You might want to check out www.golfbidder.com

I've bought quite a few clubs from them over the years and always had decent service.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

Go to Ping. Get fitted up and enjoy. AINEC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: