blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 154 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread  (Read 522919 times)
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: November 10, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »

Just seen this. Good luck Thewy in the world of mainstream work. I think you will enjoy poker again when it's a leisure activity rather than the main income.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 12, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »

I know nobody asked, but I bumped into this chap last week, had not seen or heard of him in some years, not since the Matchroom TV days as I recall.

He's with Coral these days. Previously, he had deals with all sorts - Tilt, Bet365, etc.

Pretty sure Marky will remember him.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 12, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

Is that Mr Greekfish?

He was a fun commentator. Not a murmur about capped four bet ranges but he added a real sense of drama to the game, particularly when alongside Jesse May.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 12, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »

Is that Mr Greekfish?

He was a fun commentator. Not a murmur about capped four bet ranges but he added a real sense of drama to the game, particularly when alongside Jesse May.

It most certainly is. He came up to me, said I "looked well" (like), bla bla bla, & at first, I could not put a name to the face, but it clicked eventually.

Fun commentator? - I was looking for a photo to post, went to google, & the first thing that popped up was his 2+2 Admiration Society. Don't take no prisoners over there, do they?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/37/televised-poker/andy-greekfish-hes-just-awful-176076/

The point is, the serious heads don't understand that when poker is on TV, the actual poker serious audience is miniscule, & of no use to anyone - so they are (correctly) trying to appeal to the poker curious.  The poker curious boys are who the acquisition boys want, more than anyone else. They are the seedcorn, the future.

I don't have any memory of his commentary, so I don't have a view, personally, but if he was appealing to the poker curious, he was doing the right thing. There's abso zero mileage in appealing to the poker mature. IMO.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:50:31 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

Is that Mr Greekfish?

It most certainly is. He came up to me, said I "looked well" (like), bla bla bla, & at first, I could not put a name to the face, but it clicked eventually.

Fun commentator? - I was looking for a photo to post, went to google, & the first thing that popped up was his 2+2 Admiration Society. Don't take no prisoners over there, do they?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/37/televised-poker/andy-greekfish-hes-just-awful-176076/

The point is, the serious heads don't understand that when poker is on TV, the actual poker serious audience is miniscule, & of no use to anyone - so they are (correctly) trying to appeal to the poker curious.  The poker curious boys are who the acquisition boys want, more than anyone else. They are the seedcorn, the future.

Absolutely. I used to watch every poker tv show going: all the Late Night Poker series, the World Open, the UK Open (the Steve Holden accidental full house laydown), the European Open (Achileas Kallakis and the chap who manages to lay down... well see for yourself: http://www.spicejar.org/asiplease/archives/000666.html), the Poker Million, the Premier League, the Poker Den (with actual notes if you please), the Grand Prix (I still recall a hand where Joe Beevers correctly announced to his opponent that he had the best hand now but that his opponent was favourite, so he folded. I actually remember exchanging texts with a friend about it at the time: DID YOU SEE THAT?!), the Million Dollar Cash Game and of course all the American ones too.

I would happily enjoy hours a week watching these programmes. Didn't bother me a jot that they started 50BB deep and were doing standard shoves by about half an hour in. I wanted commentators that would add a bit of danger and drama, while offering a bit of insight on what the player thinks or is likely to do next. The likes of Greekfish, Roy Brindley and Barny (the brother of that bloke off of the heating adverts) were perfect for that.

I do, however, love the expression "take no prisoners", which I can no longer take seriously because of some double EPT winner or other...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/29/victoria-coren-fifty-shades-of-grey

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: November 12, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »

Is that Mr Greekfish?

Absolutely. I used to watch every poker tv show going: all the Late Night Poker series, the World Open, the UK Open (the Steve Holden accidental full house laydown), the European Open (Achileas Kallakis and the chap who manages to lay down... well see for yourself: http://www.spicejar.org/asiplease/archives/000666.html), the Poker Million, the Premier League, the Poker Den (with actual notes if you please), the Grand Prix (I still recall a hand where Joe Beevers correctly announced to his opponent that he had the best hand now but that his opponent was favourite, so he folded. I actually remember exchanging texts with a friend about it at the time: DID YOU SEE THAT?!), the Million Dollar Cash Game and of course all the American ones too.

I would happily enjoy hours a week watching these programmes. Didn't bother me a jot that they started 50BB deep and were doing standard shoves by about half an hour in. I wanted commentators that would add a bit of danger and drama, while offering a bit of insight on what the player thinks or is likely to do next. The likes of Greekfish, Roy Brindley and Barny (the brother of that bloke off of the heating adverts) were perfect for that.

I do, however, love the expression "take no prisoners", which I can no longer take seriously because of some double EPT winner or other...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/29/victoria-coren-fifty-shades-of-grey

If it weren't for all those early poker shows there would be a substantial hole in the 'poker economy'...

Aces Kings and Queens in one hand is exceptional, but how about this one.. http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=57606.msg1558962#msg1558962

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 12, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

I loved those match room events. 888 poker open, all the party crap shoots. Proper punters donking it off.

the poker den where they played with £50 notes was a particular fave

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 12, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »

Is that Mr Greekfish?

I don't have any memory of his commentary, so I don't have a view, personally, but if he was appealing to the poker curious, he was doing the right thing. There's abso zero mileage in appealing to the poker mature. IMO.

Remember him well, and he's a really nice fella.

Had a falling out prior to meeting, as you do, lol. Anyway, we ended up getting on really well.

Remember he did the commentary on one of the TV comps I played.

Used to see him about a fair bit then, but lost touch with him when I moved back to Dorchester, and stopped frequenting London cardrooms.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

I loved those match room events. 888 poker open, all the party crap shoots. Proper punters donking it off.

the poker den where they played with £50 notes was a particular fave

Yeah, I used to like the Poker Den best, out of all the comps.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1464 on: November 16, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

Malcolm Muskett.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »

Malcolm Muskett.

Funny that was thinking of Malcolm other day, what about Mick McCool?

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 20, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

Malcolm Muskett.

Had the opportunity to play poker with literally thousands of people over the years.

Malcolm Muskett stands out as one of the nicest guys I've been lucky enough to meet.

Top bloke, no idea why he got involved with P4C, but hope he's doing well and happy wherever he is.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:29 AM »

Paul Moss?

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 20, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »

There was another Paul too.

Little bald fella, very friendly.

Paul Hill maybe?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 20, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »

Malcolm Muskett.

Had the opportunity to play poker with literally thousands of people over the years.

Malcolm Muskett stands out as one of the nicest guys I've been lucky enough to meet.

Top bloke, no idea why he got involved with P4C, but hope he's doing well and happy wherever he is.

Whenever I tried to discuss P4C with him, he was always very circumspect. I suspect, like most of us, he was duped into thinking P4C was not quite what we thought it was.

An absolute Gent, & I can't even begin to think he had any idea of what was going off.

Think he did other charity work, too.

A genuinely good man, in every way.

He was of course another stalwart of Tribeca, as so many of us were.

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 154 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: