blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273074 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Famous people who have achieved success way beyond their talent level
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Famous people who have achieved success way beyond their talent level  (Read 36793 times)
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »

+1 to the defence of Michael McIntyre. It probably isn't all the gospel truth but if his autobiography is at least a fair representation of his career before he was a known comic he definitely worked hard enough to be where he is today.

Pretty harsh to have Ricky Gervais on here also imo. If he was still riding The Office as his main body of work then I think that'd be fair but he has a pretty wide body of work all of which has been very well received. His series Derek that aired last year was fantastic TV imo.

All of Ricky Gervais' characters are the same on small or big screen. Funny first time you see it but soon becomes just anothe character with the same flaws/mannerisms.

Ah! The element of surprise
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »

This is an awful thread. Alot of posts in here are just nonsense imo

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »

13 pages and no mention of spice girls. 5 women who couldn't sing or dance and became the most successful girl band in the world

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »

Ringo.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

Ringo.

Not having that. He was born a Starr.

Allez!!
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »

Ringo.

Not having that. He was born a Starr.

Born a Starkey think you will find.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

John Motson
Murray Walker
Lars Ulrich
Michaela Tabb
George Lucas
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »

John Motson
Murray Walker
Lars Ulrich
Michaela Tabb
George Lucas

!

pause, reread

!!

yes he really listed those names

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »

John Motson
Murray Walker
Lars Ulrich
Michaela Tabb
George Lucas

Justification for Motson, Lucas and especially Lars Ulrich please.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »

If Ringo is in, could arguably say Lars is in. For a band as huge as Metallica, question whether he's a strong enough drummer. Still a cult figure but would he have made it anywhere else?

I'm reaching for clues, here...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

Aaron Wilbraham

431 career games

80ish career goals

and despite his goals mostly coming during mk dons stay in the lower divisions has moved up the leagues
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »

John Motson
Murray Walker
Lars Ulrich
Michaela Tabb
George Lucas

George Lucas wrote one great film, which was also perfectly timed, was rescued by clever editors and then came up with a load of shit ideas that his people went along with for fear of disagreeing with his 'genius'. Episode IV was the best of the series but even now it hasn't weathered that well. The crap that he came out with afterwards leans me to believe a lot of his success was in the 'overachievement' category.

I can think of hundreds of better drummers than Lars Ulrich. Not saying he is poor, just that there are so many technically better who don't happen to front the biggest heavy metal franchise on the planet.

John Motson's delivery style is one paced, predictable, cliched and irritating. One of several BBC broadcasters who are more famous for being famous than actually being knowledgeable, articulate and interesting. I include Murray Walker in that too, he made a career out of nothing more than enthusiasm. I like him actually but as a commentator who can empathise with his subject - no thanks.

I forgot to include Brian Blessed, makinmg a career out of having a loud shouty voice. Well done, sir.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »

John Motson
Murray Walker
Lars Ulrich
Michaela Tabb
George Lucas

George Lucas wrote one great film, which was also perfectly timed, was rescued by clever editors and then came up with a load of shit ideas that his people went along with for fear of disagreeing with his 'genius'. Episode IV was the best of the series but even now it hasn't weathered that well. The crap that he came out with afterwards leans me to believe a lot of his success was in the 'overachievement' category.

I can think of hundreds of better drummers than Lars Ulrich. Not saying he is poor, just that there are so many technically better who don't happen to front the biggest heavy metal franchise on the planet.

John Motson's delivery style is one paced, predictable, cliched and irritating. One of several BBC broadcasters who are more famous for being famous than actually being knowledgeable, articulate and interesting. I include Murray Walker in that too, he made a career out of nothing more than enthusiasm. I like him actually but as a commentator who can empathise with his subject - no thanks.

I forgot to include Brian Blessed, makinmg a career out of having a loud shouty voice. Well done, sir.

I can let all the above go, as all are reasoned arguments, I don't agree but ho-hum, I respect your views, but Blessed?  His TV persona maybe, but it is about 0.000001% of what he has achieved in life.  He truly is a remarkable man, and thats in the true sense of remarkable.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

What Nakor said.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Sorry, there's been some stupid names in this thread, but I'm not having Lars Ulrich.

True there are far better drummers about these day, but back in the original "big 4" days, he was more technical than his peers Dave Lombarbo, Charlie Benante and whatever hired hand Megadeth had at any given time, especially for the Justice album. He was easily as quick when needed as well.

But Lars' "talents" were as a band leader and composer, more than as a drummer.
Without Lars, Metallica wouldn't be where they are today.
So he may not be the best tub thumper in the world, but he's still extremely talented, as a drummer, songwriter and music businessman.

In his own words:
"[The criticism] used to [bother me], back in the day - and I spent a lot of time overcompensating for that on the early records. But then you wake up one day and you're like, 'Whatever.' It hasn't bothered me for about 15 years. I'm no Joey Jordison. I'm no Mike Portnoy, and I have nothing but love and respect and admiration for all those guys. When I hear some of the young dudes, they blow my mind with what they can do with their feet and stuff - but it's not something that makes me go, 'I need to feel better about myself so I'm gonna learn how to do what they do with my feet.' I'm not a particularly accomplished drummer but I am very, very, very good at understanding the role of the drums next to James Hetfield's rhythm guitar. I guarantee you I'm the best guy in the world for that, and that's enough for me!"

Pyso, you call them the biggest heavy metal franchise in the world, as if it's always been that way.
I was an 80's/90's thrasher, and it's a constant suprise to me that of all the music that was going on at the time, one of the most sneered at and under appreciated bands of that era became one of the biggest bands in the world. Lars has to take a lot of credit for that, along with Hetfield, and of course Bob Rock.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:49:30 PM by AdamM » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: