blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  London Overground Train Fines
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: London Overground Train Fines  (Read 2681 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »

Just paid an on-the-spot £40 fine after depositing £10 on my card but forgetting to tap in.
They didn't return my Oyster either, so it cost me £50.
Woman was very austere, impatient and intimidating. Made me feel like I'd committed a murder!
She threatened me with the police, large fines, court, etc when I gave her my details (name, address, date of birth). Must have thought I was bluffing.
Anyone have any experience with train fines. It was a clear accident, but is it worth appealing or would I be wasting my time?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »

Tapping in is paying. You didn't tap in, you didn't pay - suck it up.

"Couldn't believe that security guard stopped me leaving Tesco - all I did was forget to give them any money for the things I took from them".
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »

Only tapping in I know about is to do with football. "I'm oot"

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

"Couldn't believe that security guard stopped me leaving Tesco - all I did was forget to give them any money for the things I took from them".

This.

People in jobs like that are unnecessarily rude I find though.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »

This.

People in jobs like that are unnecessarily rude I find though.

To be fair to them, it's a terribly paid job where they spend 90% of their time dealing with scumbags.

Snoopy is probably in the other 10% though.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

It's technically not a crime if you accidentally leave a shop without paying for something.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

It's technically not a crime if you accidentally leave a shop without paying for something.

Well, you have to have that something with you...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »

All this time I knew that kinboshi was actually Richard Madeley's account.
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »

You weren't on a route that passes Croydon by any chance?

Yes appeal

You can appeal on two grounds

1. You tapped in but the reader didn't read it *wink wink*
2. It was a clear and genuine mistake and you had no intention of not paying, you were just not aware that you had to tap in/out (Very unlikely this will work, but worth a try)

Add in the attitude of the Lady and you may get away with it...

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »

Yes appeal

2. It was a clear and genuine mistake and you had no intention of not paying, you were just not aware that you had to tap in/out (Very unlikely this will work, but worth a try)

Is there a penalty for an unsuccessful appeal?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »

Yes appeal

Is there a penalty for an unsuccessful appeal?

Lol No...

Appeals with overgrounds should work with a central body independent of the company that fined you i.e. Soutwestern...

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »

Just seems like a no-goer to me. It's a bugger because you know you aren't the sort of person who would do it deliberately, but you have to decide whether it is worth fighting when you know technically you're in the wrong.

The rule is there for the 90% who take the Michael and your 10% are collateral damage.

Don't see why you should lose your Oystercard, though, if you've legitimately put money on it. No harm in writing to get it returned with a tenner on it, unless the rules of travel say you get that confiscated, too. What if you had £100 on it?

BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

Just seems like a no-goer to me. It's a bugger because you know you aren't the sort of person who would do it deliberately, but you have to decide whether it is worth fighting when you know technically you're in the wrong.

The rule is there for the 90% who take the Michael and your 10% are collateral damage.

Don't see why you should lose your Oystercard, though, if you've legitimately put money on it. No harm in writing to get it returned with a tenner on it, unless the rules of travel say you get that confiscated, too. What if you had £100 on it?

Yes that makes no sense at all...

I had an issue while en route to work in Croydon on Southwest, I was standing in First class, guy tried to fine me, even though he could see that there were no seats, I got a little 'Twisted' with him and told him to call the police...

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »

Yes that makes no sense at all...

I had an issue while en route to work in Croydon on Southwest, I was standing in First class, guy tried to fine me, even though he could see that there were no seats, I got a little 'Twisted' with him and told him to call the police...

Yeah I tend to go loco at times like this too

I go off the rails too

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »

I rang up Oyster about the card and they kindly transferred my £10 over to another card I have.
They were also very surprised that I'd been charged the £40 and weren't aware people received the grilling that I'd been subjected to.
The inspector pretty much called me a liar regarding my address and said that if I didn't give my correct details, she'd call the police.
Wasn't sure how to respond to that one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:29:12 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: