blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Internet Poker
| | |-+  Online Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  The Bear is back: Rolling Sunday staking deal. (punters only)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bear is back: Rolling Sunday staking deal. (punters only)  (Read 33121 times)
Nit Tendencies

Is this some kind of hilarious practical joke?

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »

Hello, my name is Jamie Sykes, I like reading and long walks on the beach. We don't have a beach in leeds so i just wander around the bus station with my eyes closed pretending that I'm on a beach.

After reading through Dan Carter's staking thread I found myself quite inspired by the idea of a community sweat and enjoyed how everybody rallied around for a bit of a spin and to help one of the team out with some action. It was quite heart warming and with that in mind I decided to offer my own deal out there for a bit of a lark.

Background

I am a 25 year old professional cash game player who cut his teeth playing MTTs for four years before making the transition into cash games.
I first started playing low stakes MTTs live and online when I was 18 with the legend that is Lil Dave back in Harrogate. In fact, Dave created my Full Tilt name for me (theGroooouuuch) almost prophetically in order to compete in a $10 one day spin prop bet, which i inevitably lost and was forced to wear a t-shirt of his and my malicious friend Rob's design. Obviously the design was mainly based around a penis.

I digress. After making money playing freezeouts at the local club i went to University where I continued to play and met a small group of players who also shared a passion for the game. These players would go on to be some of the best in the country and I was very fortunate to meet them so early on in my "career". After having reasonable success I left University and pursued MTTs full time for the next 3/4 years. I say full time, I was more of a full time drinker part-time poker player but I did enough to allow me a fantastic lifestyle and some cherished memories.
Due to some poor financial decisions involving backing Canadian strangers with a passion for photography I ended up having to get backed and after 2 years and some heavy swings in both directions our arrangement came to an end and I decided to move to cash games, essentially starting again from scratch.

In that year, I have learned more than I had in the previous 4 about poker. I have been getting regular coaching and doing some coaching myself, and I feel that I have a solid understanding of not just the game, but where other people make mistakes and the unquantifiable aspects of being a top level player. I am now able to comfortable beat the games I am playing (albeit only currently playing $100nl and $200nl) putting up high win rates.

I really have my friends to thank for this, I am very fortunate to get to chat hands with the calibre of players that I do.

Major credentials

Since this is a deal focussing on Sundays, I feel like I should provide some relevant information.

$1.5M in cashes online.

1st place in the Sunday Million for $204k~
6th place in the Sunday Warm Up for $24k~
6th place in the Full Tilt Poker monthly $1M GTD for $40k~
Six FTOPS final tables including finaling the round of each FTOPS twice and a 6th place finish in FTOPS 1 for $40k~

Proposal

Because I have been out of full time tournaments for just under a year, and because this is my first package I feel like I need to build up some trust and rapport before I start putting up big packages. Basically I want to play a schedule (as featured below), keeping 30% for myself and taking 4 weeks worth of money at time. At the end of each 4 week period we will amend the schedule and refund any money owed or chop any profit unless the investor wants to roll his stake into the next 4 week period which is an option. I think a 70/30 split in the investors favour is fair because of the nature of Sunday tournaments and how high variance they can be. Because of reasons mentioned above, I want to start with a  relatively small schedule:

Stars

1pm $11 rebuy ($51)
1pm Sunday Kick-off $109
2pm $109 freeze
3.30pm $55 freeze
3.30pm $8.80 rebuy ($40.80)
4pm $215 Sunday Warm up
4pm $54 KO
5pm Bigger $22
5.30pm hot $11 turbo
6pm Bigger $109
6.30pm: Hot $16.50
7pm Bigger $11
7.15pm: $22 1r 1a
7.30pm $215 Sunday Million
8pm Bigger $55
9pm Bigger $162

Total = $1297.30

Full Tilt

1pm $55 Early Fiddy
2pm $26 mama said Knock You Out
3pm $26 freeze
5.22pm $44 Super Stack
6pm $26 freeze
8pm $26 Triceratops

Total = $203

Grand Total = $1,500.30 x 4 weeks = $6001.2

I will round this down to $6k and flick the $1.2 in myself to make the maths much easier.

I feel like I have selected a schedule which captures the most value trying to avoid reggy tournaments, replacing some of the slightly bigger buyins ($75 freeze at 3pm) with $26's on FTP etc.

This would be on a 70/30 Make up arrangement. This means that although the stakers are putting up 100% of the money, I am retaining 30% equity for myself. This is because the schedule that I have selected produces the highest ROIs. Combining this and my commitment to fully throw myself into this deal, I think a 30% freeroll is reasonable considering the time I am investing. My hope is that this becomes a long, successful staking thread and we end up amending the schedule to span all of the majors across sites and give everybody involved a return. I really believe in the idea that the poker community should look after itself, which has resulted in me coming here instead of trying to find a 50/50 backer because I think that it's a good thing to give the lads a spin from time to time.

Since this is a 4 week rolling investment, pieces are as follows:

1%= $60
5% = $300
10% = $600
15% = $900

Anything that is cashed will be divided into chunks to leave me with 30% equity when we do the chops.

The gameplay

I know that these numbers can be a bit daunting, and is a little bit of a punt, but I have done a lot of work on my game, getting the opinions of the best players in the UK almost every day. They believe in me and I'm hoping you will too.

I will promise to be well rested, well fed and relaxed before my sessions and hopefully we can go on a little spin.

Payment can be by bank transfer or by Stars (Bear4rms) or FTP (theGrooouuuch).

I will be starting on Sunday the 27th of October. If anybody is unsure and needs people to vouch for me, I can give references when requested.

Investors

Stato: 10% PAID
Flushy: 10% PAID
TL900: 10% PAID
Trigg: 10% PAID
millidonk: 7.5% PAID
Toddswain: 5% PAID
Junior Senior: 5% PAID
rfgqqabc: 5% PAID
Pinchop: 5% PAID
Redbull: 5% PAID
Redarmi: 5% PAID
Tomsom87: 5% PAID
Stuart Hopkin: 5% PAID
Doobs: 5% PAID
jakally: 5% PAID
borntobubble: 1% PAID
George2nitty: 1% PAID
ForthThistle: 0.5% PAID

Reserves

Jamie Burland
Dan Carter
Yiannis Liperis
Sunny Nagi
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:09:00 PM by Nit Tendencies » Logged

Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »

Trigg has booked 10%.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »

Can you take 1% for a sweat or do you not want to go that small? If not I will see who invests and just nick 1% of them. Glglgl

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

I would prefer to sell at 5% but we can see at the end. I'm sure there will be some left for a few 1% sweats. It's just more hassle having more people to pay out that's all.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:21:58 PM by Nit Tendencies » Logged

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »

Can you try and explain the 70/30 split in more depth please? You're just looking to sell 70% and put 30% in yourself right? Or are you selling 100% of the buyins at a 70/30 split? I feel like i'm being v silly and not getting it exactly.

10plz tho

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:25:33 PM by TL900 » Logged

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »

Reserve 10 please... Same question as Tom basically
Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

I wasn't sure whether I'd explained it properly, I checked it with a few people but I guess my instincts were right.

No, the investors will put up 100% of the money for a 30% freeroll for myself. I don't think this is unreasonable considering there is makeup, the tournaments I have selected to start with are the best in terms of ROI and I am putting in several hours of my own time to do this so I am going to take it very seriously.

My aim is for this 4 week block to go well, then we can amend the schedule to include some majors on other sites. Hopefully we can make this a long and successful staking thread.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »

5% pls. If it is ok with you, I'm good friends with borntobubble and would give him 1% of this if you are unable to do so. I'm happy for us to handle the admin work for this. Schedule looks pretty good but hot 16.5 is missing. How likely is it that the schedule increases in size? I don't want to be offloading my shares at some point down the line.

Might want to look at .fr especially with FCOOP coming up.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »

Makes more sense now thanks...

Book me for 5 for now thanks
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »

ok thanks, in for punt. 15 plz when u want funds?

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:38:14 PM »

I will take 5% please. Got no time to play myself so need a fix and a sweat
Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »

Funds can be sent by Stars or Moneybookers (james_sykeslive.co.uk) any time up to 1 hour before the first tourney (12pm on Sunday the 20th of October) or bank transfer 3 days before that Sunday. If it's by bank, PM me and I'll give you my bank details.

Nit Tendencies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »

I will take 5% please. Got no time to play myself so need a fix and a sweat

Loving a punt, that's what we're all about. 5% booked!

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »

Dave created my Full Tilt name for me (theGroooouuuch) almost prophetically in order to compete in a $10 one day spin prop bet, which i inevitably lost and was forced to wear a t-shirt of his and my malicious friend Rob's design. Obviously the design was mainly based around a penis.

Jamie 100% stand up trustworthy guy.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »

1% cos your Jamie mfkin Sykes

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: