blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WHY PROS ALWAY SAY " FIELD IS SO SOFT"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHY PROS ALWAY SAY " FIELD IS SO SOFT"  (Read 13705 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 01:26:20 AM »

You can't say live players are rubbish until they've at least played 50,000 hands

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »

You can't say live players are rubbish until they've at least played 50,000 hands

That's handy, because the data is irrelevant after a year.  So from this we can draw the conclusion that live players have no ascertainable skill level.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »

Never really thought about this, I guess it's just a 'go to' phrase that gets used a bit too much.  Like 'one time', innit.

I used to think this until recently, where I started to notice more and more, the weird stuff that was going in.

I thought maybe I was just being harsh on people until today's GUKPT at Luton.

I'm all for having bad players in the game, but some of the stuff I saw today made feel quite awkward at the table.

If I could rewind the clock 24 hours, I would happily buy a % of 20 decent players I know at 2.0

I'm assuming this thread was started because Alex made a comment about the field being soft. I think he was being extremely kind to the field.

Disclaimer: I didn't make day 2 Sad

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:31 AM »

Never really thought about this, I guess it's just a 'go to' phrase that gets used a bit too much.  Like 'one time', innit.

I used to think this until recently, where I started to notice more and more, the weird stuff that was going in.

I'm all for having bad players in the game, but some of the stuff I saw today made feel quite awkward at the table.

If I could rewind the clock 24 hours, I would happily buy a % of 20 decent players I know at 2.0

I'm assuming this thread was started because Alex made a comment about the field being soft. I think he was being extremely kind to the field.

Sick.  Might have to box off Tikay as my first go to guy got selling pieces.

And FWIW a) so many live comps are 'soft' but that is massively dependent on table draw.  Also a lot of my fellow peers have an over inflated sense of ego and aren't great with social skills thus they love to describe everything as soft to freeroll as much as possible.

Will say that GUKPT Luton was my fav ever 1k. Not just for the value but the venue, staff and that I was able to have conversations with most of my table mates due to a very small percentage of headphones, hoody, shades, some random poker site badge etc.  was very refreshing from my last 1k which was UKIPT London.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:42 AM »

Sick.  Might have to box off Tikay as my first go to guy got selling pieces.

And FWIW a) so many live comps are 'soft' but that is massively dependent on table draw.  Also a lot of my fellow peers have an over inflated sense of ego and aren't great with social skills thus they love to describe everything as soft to freeroll as much as possible.

Will say that GUKPT Luton was my fav ever 1k. Not just for the value but the venue, staff and that I was able to have conversations with most of my table mates due to a very small percentage of headphones, hoody, shades, some random poker site badge etc.  was very refreshing from my last 1k which was UKIPT London.

Farmer ITT...

"Look at those silly internet kids with their boomboxes and sweatshirts..."

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 02:49:53 AM »

Please pipe down old chap. No humour or opinions in any threads until you are sure you have 51% equity. You will make money in the long run.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »

a couple of points to consider;

1) R.E Frankie - "Should the amateurs just not bother entering?" - Remember one tournament, soft or not, is one tournament and anyone can win it - if you recall the last UKIPT held at DTD, a field which contained every big name "pro" in the UK (Jake, Perrins, Trickett, Toby +all) was taken down by Robert Baguley who I'm sure had any of the Chutzpah2.0 brigade would have seen on their opening table and thought made a "soft" table... (which brings me to point 2)

2) What exactly whats these weak players weak? in the make-up of a soft tournament ? Well usually its a combination of hindered technical understanding which leads ot some basic mistakes in certain spots, combined with a lack of control emotionally which = irrational decisions/big mistakes in tough situations. HOWEVER they also usually pretty smart people who despite their lack of technical poker understanding have a half decent feel for cards. They turn up, on the right day, in a good mood, get a bit lucky that the spots that get them into trouble aren't cropping up and all of a sudden this is not a "soft spot" you got a pretty fierce opponent. People think that a weaker player is always gonna be weak, and this is not true at all even pretty poor poker players are capable of hours/days of inspiration and good solid play. That's also part of the beauty of the game, imo.

People generally under-estimate people which I think isn't nessercarily a big mistake unless you're totally rigid with your judgements and not prepared to alter them.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »

We'll put lil Dave.

Every dog has his day.

I'm still waiting for mine Sad

Ah! The element of surprise
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »

I like your post Dave, it really make me better . The only reasons I m really annoying is that a lot of players say that compnis soft , this company is soft . Look at the Ukipt recently in London , I think that is the toughest ukipt ever held before . I think the word soft is a bit to harsh but it's an opinion .
By the way Alex this is not a dig at u , I meant to ask this question ages ago and I accidentally read it on the gukpt Luton thread about how soft the field was .
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »

I alway say Celtic is abit of shit stearer but he's funny ! Lol
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »

Think a lot of the time its used in relation to the buy-in. E.g. if we can consider the ISPT Day2 field a true E3k then that was almost certainly softer then the majority of other E3k fields as these events are generally only found in big tournament festivals e.g. as EPT sides, where the pro to recreational player ratio will be pretty high, whereas in the ISPT, I would imagine it would be fairly low due to the large amont of satellite qualifiers.

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

If we say " the field is so soft " , does it meant we are better than the field or we can beat the field ?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

If we say " the field is so soft " , does it meant we are better than the field or we can beat the field ?

It means you're better than the field, but you can't beat them because they don't know that.

The older I get, the better I was.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »

It means you're better than the field, but you can't beat them because they don't know that.

For example in a EPT comp in London , there are about 600 players with 200 satelite qualifiers , 150 season pros , 150 players that sold share  and 50 rich businessman and etc . Who's the soft field here then ? The buyin is £5000.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »

For example in a EPT comp in London , there are about 600 players with 200 satelite qualifiers , 150 season pros , 150 players that sold share  and 50 rich businessman and etc . Who's the soft field here then ? The buyin is £5000.

I don't think it is likely to be a soft field.  I think those anticipating a soft field are probably making bad judgements.  It always makes me a smile when people refer to satellite qualifiers in EPTs, the people who come from them are likely very much in the same skills ballpark as most of the people selling action.

I don't know how many £1k events I have played, but enough to know when I am on a softer table than average.  I don't know what the real harm is, there probably wasn't a single person at my table who thought they were a weak player.   Most would just think I was talking about somebody else anyway.  As it was, they'd have been right given the way I blew my first bullet. 

There could have been people thinking of playing yesterday, so Alex put up some useful info for them.  This is the case even if the readers were weak players too, anyone put off playing a tournament because somebody has told them it looks weak isn't thinking very clearly.

As Dave said, even if it is a weaker field than average for a 1k, a big proportion of your exits are just going to be coolers and flips.  It really doesn't matter who thinks he is the best player in the circumstances.

I was sat at the final table of a 300 Euro event the other day.  It was my last table so I could just Sharkscope everybody.  Up to two days previously, one of the players had not had a cash above 20 Euros in 6 months play.  Then he had binked a few hundred Euros in a huge field 1 Euro MTT.  The day after he had played a 50 Euro tournament and I think he had finished 3rd for a 4 figure bink.  That day he had found himself sat at the final table of the biggest daily tournament on the site.  He had AJ when I decided KT was good enough to shove my 10 bigs.  Next morning I looked he had won the thing.  So in 3 days he had increased his biggest cash from 20 Euros to near 5K.  I just love that kind of thing.  Gives us all hope, even those of us who don't think we are the mark.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: