blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:22:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WHY PROS ALWAY SAY " FIELD IS SO SOFT"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHY PROS ALWAY SAY " FIELD IS SO SOFT"  (Read 13707 times)
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:08 PM »

If the field is always soft and most pros used this line , who's going to win then ? Is this line just to encourage themself that they are beating the field or just to let their stakers know that they are confident in that certain tourney ! No matter if that's a £100 or £1000 or even £5000 comp , I always hear this magic words . But who's winning at the end ? To me , if a player can out in £100 or £1000 or £5000 , defo it's not a soft field . So when a pros say soft field , is that mean we amateur don't need to enter the comp ?

This is not a dig but I am really annoy by players/pros saying thus all the time . U can call a players fish or loose but the field is soft ? Nahhhhhhhhh
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

If the field is always soft and most pros used this line , who's going to win then ? Is this line just to encourage themself that they are beating the field or just to let their stakers know that they are confident in that certain tourney ! No matter if that's a £100 or £1000 or even £5000 comp , I always hear this magic words . But who's winning at the end ? To me , if a player can out in £100 or £1000 or £5000 , defo it's not a soft field . So when a pros say soft field , is that mean we amateur don't need to enter the comp ?

This is not a dig but I am really annoy by players/pros saying thus all the time . U can call a players fish or loose but the field is soft ? Nahhhhhhhhh

Farmers say it too.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »

Is that field that is always soft where you left your straw man?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

Never really thought about this, I guess it's just a 'go to' phrase that gets used a bit too much.  Like 'one time', innit.
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

It's called ego Frankie.

Give me a big pot against a pro anytime. At least they can fold. It's all about adjustment.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:52 PM »

and after saying it they bust out without making any cash!
Poker_Monkey

"Cake or death?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »

Farmers say it too.

This for the win

#endthred

Oh look you hit your 3 outter on me FML

Twitter :  https://twitter.com/adrian_lovelock

Fb : https://www.facebook.com/ady.lovelock
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:09:49 PM »

It's called ego Frankie.

Give me a big pot against a pro anytime. At least they can fold. It's all about adjustment.

Think you have the game arse about face.

The pros with the ego problems will always find the game that breaks them.  The pros that last are the ones who look for the games they can beat (ie the softer fields).   If you haven't got an external source of income (or haven't gut the chutzpah to charge 2.0 to your friends on Facebook), the vast majority of your games should be against fields that you consider softer than you on average.  Of course some people are really terrible at making this judgement!

And ofc you want to try and play your big pots in position vs the worst players, only ego would drive you to try and play your big pots against the better ones. 

And finally, I don't know a single person who considers all fields soft.  And you can always end up in a great spot on a great table in a tough tournament and a terrible one in a tournament that is otherwise soft.

And barring one person, we'll all go bust in the end.  If you have game selected well, it will be to a worse player more often than not, such is the beauty of the game. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

Doobs nailed it ^

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

I've been Doobed.

I agree with all that. Sometimes I feel I know where I am on later streets against a better player than a housewife over playing a pair of jacks in her first live event.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »

Doobs crushes thread.

But then that's no surprise as thread was joke soft.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »

rest
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »

Chutzpah ITT. 

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »

Generally speaking, I usually see the words "the field is so soft" straight after a ridiculously high mark-up.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »

Good reply . Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: