blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:02:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Stepping into the future - One man's journey
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 58 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stepping into the future - One man's journey  (Read 162965 times)
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »

Believe it or not on more than one occasion someone has said to me "why don't you start a diary?".  I just thought who on earth would want to read "got up early, went to work, posted on blonde, came home, watched tele and went to bed" on a daily basis which is pretty much all I have done over the last 2.5 years. Before that time it might have been a different story..

However, now that I have broken free of the 9-5 (read 7-7) lifestyle I feel like I could have something semi interesting to write.

Today is my first full week since being made redundant and I can honestly say I don't think I have ever been happier! I was suffocating in that office and I genuinely feel like I can now breathe again.

I don't actually have any concrete plans for what the future will hold, I have enough money behind me so I don't have to worry about any sort of bills / expenses until the end of June next year and that's about as far as It goes.

Possibilities in order of preference:

Poker - Somehow make a living from poker (in before lolz, gl)
SAHD - Be a stay at home dad and just about get by on just the missus' wage
Start a business - Custom toyboxes
Get another job - Barring 6 months I have had various full time jobs since I was 16, I turn 30 in 6 months and don't really ever want to have a 'jobjob' again.

I have a fair bit to say but I don't want to make it tldr, I basically plan to document whatever I get up to over the next 8 months, June 01st is my D-Day where I hope to have a much clearer vision of the future.

For those who don't know me. I am Dave Milligan, a 24 stone, hat wearing, film loving, pizza eating, love machine who unfortunately has the voice of a 9 yr old girl.

Here I am in a rare appearance without a hat holding my daughter Amelie.

Click to see full-size image.

It would be cool if people came along for the ride, feel free to share your own thoughts and opinions or ask me any questions. Hopefully this will make a bit of a refreshing change from the one post one diary type things and all the pure grinders out there.

This week I will mostly be trying to sat into UKIPT IOM and youtubing how to carve pumpkins.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

glglgl!

Giving up the 9-5 was the best thing I ever did.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »

In that your real hair?

The older I get, the better I was.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »

in on page one

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:52:08 AM »

glglgl!

tyty. Even though it wasn't by choice I already know it's the best thing ever, although I do miss lolling when you used to get a taxi to work.

In that your real hair?

I'm just happy to have some. It's a bit Elvis esque but it's better than my other 30yr old mates who are rocking the Bruce Willis or in one case the Philip Schofield

Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

Got made redundant nearly 5 years ago now.  Best thing that could have happened to me.

Played poker for 3 months, then started my own business.  Wish I'd done it years before.

Good luck with whatever you choose to fill the next 8 months with, be happy.

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »

Got made redundant nearly 5 years ago now.  Best thing that could have happened to me.

Played poker for 3 months, then started my own business.  Wish I'd done it years before.

Good luck with whatever you choose to fill the next 8 months with, be happy.

Tks mate, health and happiness are defo key. I have a lot of work to do with the former but that is also part of my plan. Glad it all worked out for you.

Eff the 9 - 5.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

glglgl!

tyty. Even though it wasn't by choice I already know it's the best thing ever, although I do miss lolling when you used to get a taxi to work.

lol I'm impressed you remember that. Was a great way to spend a few hours wages (NOT) but I just hated the grind of that boring office shit and commuting etc and my job wasn't really too bad - were definitely some nice perks but I don't miss a single thing about it.

As a young and then single guy it didn't scare me taking a shot at poker, but I think if I was in your shoes with a little one I'd go down the 'my own business route'. I don't wanna not be my own boss ever again.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »

What a lovely picture that is of Dad & Daughter, she looks a real heart-melter.

Good luck with the next chapter of your life's adventure.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

Are those your real legs?

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »

What a lovely photo!  Not sure why, but I never pictured you as a Dad.  How wrong I was.  Enjoy the break and the rest will fall into place.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »

What a lovely picture that is of Dad & Daughter, she looks a real heart-melter.

Good luck with the next chapter of your life's adventure.

Thanks Teeks, that's not one of her best photos but it is certainly one of my better ones, so I was happy for her to take the hit. Smiley

@Cos, yeah I know exactly what you are saying, I actually played poker for a living for 6 months before my last job and before we had our daughter. At the time I had nothing behind me, I was playing 1st-29th of the month to pay the mortgage on the 30th so to speak, the pressure just crucified me! The only possible way for poker to be viable for me personally is if I had 6 months wages as it were (minimum) behind me. So come June next year I would be looking to have minimum £12k for me to continue. Obviously I will have re-evaluated before this time and probs done work on business or maybe even have managed to get the missus preggo again.

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Are those your real legs?

Photoshop ldo. Could be a shinpad model me!

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »

What a lovely photo!  Not sure why, but I never pictured you as a Dad.  How wrong I was.  Enjoy the break and the rest will fall into place.

People that know me well said "oh god, Dave is going to be a dad" but now they all say "you are the best dad ever". Amelie being born changed me pretty much instantaneously. It really is easy though, there is nothing to think about, you just put them first and that's it. Although don't be fooled I am still really immature and probably always will be. Before my grandad died I asked him when do we as men grow up and he said he was still waiting to..

Killerkilsby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »

Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 58 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: