blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272875 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  GUKPT/Genting Poker Series clash in 2014
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUKPT/Genting Poker Series clash in 2014  (Read 3939 times)
bergeroo

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

Seems like GUKPT and Genting have decided to schedule the first tournaments of their 2014 seasons on the same weekend. 7-9 February 2014. This seems like an incredibly stupid decision, especially as there seems to be a free weekend following it. Anyone know people that organise these tours so they can 'ave a word? If one of them moves a week later then there are four weeks in a row with 4 good comps. UKIPT Edinburgh, GPS, GUKPT and the Sky 1k at DTD. There is no sense at all for them to clash, it will hurt numbers in both events and the players miss out. If one of them moves now then I don't imagine anyone will have booked travel or hotels yet, so it will cause minimal problems
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »

Yes. I will send this to Raf at Genting to pass on

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »

Both sides are aware.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »

Birmingham--> London is a large shared pool of players. I'm sure many people would want to play them both.

I believe GUKPT moved the grand final to a week earlier this year to avoid clashing with UKIPT. It's not an ego thing to move your tourney, just a sensible decision that is better for everyone. Other times when there are clashes there is a stagger so if you bust one you can play 1b the next day at the other tourney, but 1a and 1b are both set to be on the same day too.

Spose if enough people say they would play them both, then common sense prevails. Both companies want to make money and have a prestigious tour with big numbers I'm sure.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »

Both sides are aware.

Ha! Beautifully worded, an exercise in brevity.

Therein, presumably, lies a story.....Wink

You are a proper diplomat these days George.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »

Seems like GUKPT and Genting have decided to schedule the first tournaments of their 2014 seasons on the same weekend. 7-9 February 2014. This seems like an incredibly stupid decision, especially as there seems to be a free weekend following it. Anyone know people that organise these tours so they can 'ave a word? If one of them moves a week later then there are four weeks in a row with 4 good comps. UKIPT Edinburgh, GPS, GUKPT and the Sky 1k at DTD. There is no sense at all for them to clash, it will hurt numbers in both events and the players miss out. If one of them moves now then I don't imagine anyone will have booked travel or hotels yet, so it will cause minimal problems

GUKPT London is so much more prestigious than the Genting one. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

Sure. Longer running. The buy in is bigger too. But you don't pay your bills with prestige. Both of them are great comps.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

Sure. Longer running. The buy in is bigger too. But you don't pay your bills with prestige. Both of them are great comps.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »

If one of them moves a week later then there are four weeks in a row with 4 good comps. UKIPT Edinburgh, GPS, GUKPT and the Sky 1k at DTD.

If there were 4 good comps in a row, how many players would travel to play all four? Players buying in with their own money.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »

If one of them moves a week later then there are four weeks in a row with 4 good comps. UKIPT Edinburgh, GPS, GUKPT and the Sky 1k at DTD.

If there were 4 good comps in a row, how many players would travel to play all four? Players buying in with their own money.

Not sure what that means?

But there are tonnes of sats for UKIPT, Sky and Genting. Not so much GUKPT. It is quite feasible to sat into several of these. I understand sometimes two comps are on the same weekend, but Birmingham and London are really close to each other
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »

Don't seem that much of an issue. One is £400 up northish, one is £1000 in London. Surely a wide enough differential to attract different crowds. Not like all the old boys from the vic are gonna travel up to play a £400, similarly loads of small stakes players up that way aren't gonna come down to play a 1k.

It's more of an issue when the buyins are similar surely?
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »

also wasn't necesarily saying loads of people will play all 4, more saying, there are prob 51 viable weekends to run a poker tourney in the UK. There are three tours with 8-12 legs each, plus a few bigger one offs, DTD, ISPT etc. Don't see why someone from each tour can't have a phone call each November and co-ordinate the dates. Certain weekends, eg bank holiday are clearly better but most weekends are basically the same. There are plenty of weekends for everyone in the calendar year and it makes no sense for two tournaments to be on in the same geographical area on the same day.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

One is £400 up northish,

Midlands Smiley

But I take your point. Still think there is an overlap of 50-100 people that might play them both.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »

Not sure what that means?

But there are tonnes of sats for UKIPT, Sky and Genting. Not so much GUKPT. It is quite feasible to sat into several of these. I understand sometimes two comps are on the same weekend, but Birmingham and London are really close to each other

It means what it says it means - how many players would play all four, players who are buying in with their own money (not sponsored pros)?

If these 4 tourneys generally had half the field that were the same in each one then, yeah, having them clashing would hurt numbers.

But, as others have said, they're geographically and financially different enough for this not to be an issue.

Even the sats thing is a red herring - if two tourneys are on the same weekend then if you win a sat for one don't try and qualify for the other one ldo.
Raf White
Genting Poker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:00:27 AM »

We are aware after the publication of the GukPT dates that there is a clash with our leg at Star City.

There should be an announcement in the next few days.

Genting Poker
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: