blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  pre flop decision with QQ
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: pre flop decision with QQ  (Read 2337 times)
LovesADraw

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »

Hi All, first time poster so be gentle haha.

Playing live cash last night sitting at a £1/£1 table, been sitting for around 90mins with a pretty solid table image.

I wake up on the button with QQ sitting with just over £200.

UTG (very aggressive, feels like he's playing almost every hand) raises to £6
Folds to the Cut-off
CO (quite aggressive but seems to raise the UTG player every time they are in a pot) raises to £16

I make it £38 total from the button.
UTG folds, CO tank raises to £85. This is a very similar betting pattern to when this guy has gone to war preflop like 4 times previously so I probably didn't give it the respect it deserved (he handn't showed down previously) and I shoved... and he snaps me off with dem aces, DAMN!

I luck box a Q on the flop and take it down. I tought this preflop play was OK then the dealer (just after I tipped him, the cheek!) Said it was a bad play and the guy was almost playing his AA face up.

What do you guys think?
PutYouOnAK/AQ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

I think the dealer is terrible for having any opinion on the hand first of all.

Second I don't think many people are going to 5bet vs a cold4 with air too often and will nearly always peel when they have worse hands rather than 5bet.

If these guys are going to war then we can flat the button and give UTG more reason to 4bet then we can get it in.

Pretty rusty but I think without history vs this Villain its a massive mistake to get 200bb in with QQ in a 1-1 game.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »

I think the dealer is terrible for having any opinion on the hand first of all.
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

'Massive mistake' is harsh, particularly as OP has pointed out the villain has gone to war preflop a few times already previously... I think given the described dynamic it's very hard to do anything but play it out as OP did. People will have different opinions but shoving with Queens in this spot is never that bad imo
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »

This dealer is not getting tipped again by me after that comment.
PutYouOnAK/AQ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

Agree that 'Massive Mistake' is probably a bit harsh.  However just remember that because they guy has a high 3bet frequency doesnt mean he will have a high 5bet frequency vs cold 4bets. and just because he's going to war with the OR doesnt mean he will go to war with everyone else as well.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »

Hi All, first time poster so be gentle haha.

Playing live cash last night sitting at a £1/£1 table, been sitting for around 90mins with a pretty solid table image.

I wake up on the button with QQ sitting with just over £200.

UTG (very aggressive, feels like he's playing almost every hand) raises to £6
Folds to the Cut-off
CO (quite aggressive but seems to raise the UTG player every time they are in a pot) raises to £16

I make it £38 total from the button.
UTG folds, CO tank raises to £85. This is a very similar betting pattern to when this guy has gone to war preflop like 4 times previously so I probably didn't give it the respect it deserved (he handn't showed down previously) and I shoved... and he snaps me off with dem aces, DAMN!

I luck box a Q on the flop and take it down. I tought this preflop play was OK then the dealer (just after I tipped him, the cheek!) Said it was a bad play and the guy was almost playing his AA face up.

What do you guys think?

First of all, welcome to blonde buddy Smiley

Second, what on earth is the dealer on about :p Pretty out of line, in my opinion.

Thirdly, as for the hand, as villain is described in the OP then getting it in is absolutely fine. I play these sorts of games a lot, and while it is true that people rarely 5bet bluff, for sure they can overvalue hands and get it in with worse. If he's 60, wearing a suit, on an ipad, stacking his chips in 10's with his arms crossed and/or being berated by one of the twatty internet kids for not 3bet/5betting AQ on the button, then it's a different story. As I said though, against described villain with this table dynamic, getting it in seems absolutely fine.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
LovesADraw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts All.

I think this is one of those that polarizes opinion (opinionated dealer aside).
I know its not clever but I think, subconsciously, I committed to going all the way when I raised in to the two most aggro players on the table...
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »

Dealers should deal the cards, correctly announce bet sizes, control the action and get the pots right and they should concentrate and apply the rules.

Its a tough spot but i probably fold as described.
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »

I think people are getting massively results oriented in this hand and against a crazy aggy player it's a call, he'd easily be doing similar with all sorts of under pairs as well as all combos of AK
wazz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »

I think people are getting massively results oriented in this hand and against a crazy aggy player it's a call, he'd easily be doing similar with all sorts of under pairs as well as all combos of AK

Yes and no, part of the point of flatting is that we are behind some of the time, we get to play a smaller pot in position (ie get it in crushing post sometimes, make good folds others) and that flatting a strong hand like this allows us to have a weaker flatting range in the future and play a deceptively strong hand in position this hand.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »

as described, incredibly standard.

dont tip the dealer again unless you win a 1k pot, then give him 50p.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »

I would be kinda worried for sure. But I don't think I could bring myself to fold, so all in I guess.

The best dealers are fast and don't make mistakes (obv) but have a subtle way of being funny/friendly without commenting on the action.

LovesADraw

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

I would be kinda worried for sure. But I don't think I could bring myself to fold, so all in I guess.

The best dealers are fast and don't make mistakes (obv) but have a subtle way of being funny/friendly without commenting on the action.

You're spot on... I wasn't happy about it but folding just wasn't an option. If I just called the guy was gonna go to town with any flop that had an A or a K whether he had one or not. I think the shove was my only option I. This situation
Flash92

onesickhunt.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Yes, dealer needs to keep his nose out. He is paid to deal not berate/coach players.

Seems kind of standard to get this in I think...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: